Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3088218 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:26:50 am »
I know we have at least three people (me, David, and Jenny) and maybe four (Kelda?) who are hooked on the series of stories by Louise about Ennis and Ellery. And I suspect there are more out there. Anyway, we keep discussing the story on various threads (the latest is the 1000+ posts club) and I thought maybe we could all gather in one place for some real discussion. Hmmm?

For those who may be reading this and are not familiar with the story, it is (at present) a trilogy. Louise, who lives in Germany, iis the author. Two stories are finished, the third is in progress. The first one is called "Taking Chances" and can be found here:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(EDITED:  30.November.2006)  It is now a 6 book series!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/2743.html  Book 1: "Taking Chances"

Ennis receives a journal written by Jack Twist during their months on Brokeback Mountain in 1963, and decides it is time for him to find out what it means for him to be homosexual.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27985.html  Book 2: "Looking for Answers"

Ennis finds an unexpected love relationship with Ellery Cantrell, the deputy Sheriff in Laramie, Wyoming, and as he struggles to make peace with the mysterious circumstances of the death of Jack Twist, Ellery offers to investigate his death and search for Jack's killer.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/50230.html  Book 3:  "A Second Chance"

Ennis and Ellery, having come face to face with the serial killer responsible for the death of Jack and other unsolved deaths, grapple with the specter of AIDS which has begun cropping up among the small, fragile gay population surrounding Ellery's private men's bar.  As their relationship grows closer, Ennis must deal with a painful relationship from Ellery's past which threatens his relationships and his job in the present.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/75525.html  Book 4:  "Shelter From the Storm"

Ennis is swept up in an outbreak of violence aimed at him, his lover Ellery, and the gay patrons and employees of the Red Stallion bar.  Ellery and the staff of the Sheriff's department try to find those responsible and uncover a conspiracy within their own ranks.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/101593.html  Book 5:  "The Long Way Home"

"The Long Way Home" traces Ennis's pilgrimage with Ellery back to Brokeback Mountain as he struggles to come to terms with his loss and love for Jack Twist, and as Ellery and his colleagues try to bring Jack's killer to justice.

Book 6, The Red Stallion, is nearing its conclusion

http://louisev.livejournal.com/125667.html    "The Red Stallion" is the final chapter of the Saga.

The Red Stallion takes place during the fall and winter of 1984 after the death of Jack's killer, Justin Worrell.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The premise: story starts in 1984, two years after Jack's death. Ennis has been doing some reading, research about queer life, trying to come to grips with Jack's death and who he is. In the process of reading, he sees an ad for a gay bar in Laramie, WY. The story starts when he walks into that bar...

A few other comments. Louise describes herself as a "canon" author in that the she does not read or write AU (alternative universe) stories. She is true to the book/movie which is why this story picks up after Jack is gone. She also believes that Ennis is a fairly young man (41) and made the decision to not let his life go down the drain in that depressing trailer where he was living. Some people object to MovingOn!Ennis but I don't. I think she has taken an interesting and honest approach to what might have happened.

There is plenty of sex in this story, but I also think she is a good writer and taking a nuanced approach to exploring Ennis's emerging sexuality.

Ellery is the man Ennis begins a relationship with. I don't think I am giving away too much here to new readers because he shows up fairly early in the first book. Many of us have super major crushes on Ellery. I do. I am seriously thinking of getting pregnant again so I can name the baby Ellery. Well, all right, that might be a slight exaggeration!

So...dive in everyone.

L

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:44:05 am by louisev »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:32:37 am »
As a starter, this is what I am picturing Ellery to look like. Dee found this picture originally which reminds me, DeeDee may also be a reader...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 09:02:42 am »
And another pic of Ellery.  Now that should be enough motivation!  Get reading!   ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 09:05:59 am »
Louise approves of both these pictures, btw. I am trying to entice her to join us here for some discussion. She spends her time at davecullen (when she is not writing, that is) but gets a little frustrated because people tend to bash her MovingOn!Ennis on a regular basis. I told her we all play nice here in the CT sandbox.  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:10:27 am »
Hot off the press:

Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/58051.html  "Chapter 31:  Role Reversal"

note:  no Bottom!Ennis action, despite the provocative title

(This is from Louise)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 09:27:55 am »
Hello folks.  Right now I am blushing up a storm from having a thread dedicated to Ennis and Ellery!  I haven't been to Bettermost! before, I think I saw a link at one time a few months ago before my brain got sucked out by the davecullen group.

It was largely through the efforts of fans who posted ongoing and continuous commentary that I am writing a third book in this series, so that shows the power of readers in influencing writers and affecting their motivation.  I don't want to get in the way of discussion, so please, do carry on, perhaps I can do as I have been doing on LiveJournal, which is to answer questions.

I do think the first pic has a very accurate body type for Ellery:  sturdy wide shoulders, about 6'4" (stands two inches taller than Ennis with Heath Ledger as Ennis, who is 6'2"), and skinny as all getout, enough to make any pair of pants dangerous if they are not securely belted over his hips.  Ennis has a certain penchant for Ellery's dress black Chief Deputy uniform and stylish beret, which he has worn to bed a couple of times that we know of.

And once again, thank you for the awesome and inspiring welcome!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 09:55:30 am »
Good Morning and Welcome aboard Louisev!

You have many fans here!    I still am in awe how you can write such graphic (and accurate!) erotic encounters between the guys.  Thanks for keeping us on the edge of our seats for so many chapters.    My water bill has never been higher from taking so many cold showers!    Well, not since Jack and Ennis moved to the LazyL Farm!   LOL.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 10:02:23 am »
Well, thank you.  I have done some research.  I have other writing endeavours as well, and one of the most revolutionary experiences that has changed (and much improved) my writing has been live interactive text roleplay.  I found a wonderful and talented writer and have been doing live roleplay almost daily for a year (we met and did our first interactive on 30 May 2005) and after I left for Europe maintained a schedule so that we could have 3 to 4 hours a night to continue to play, and we roleplayed detailed erotic stories between two male couples.  Needless to say, that kind of detail and interaction was an immense influence and allowed me to develop some fluency, so to speak, in writing explicit sex.  I am always very happy to hear from fans.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 11:16:31 am »
update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/58233.html  "Chapter 32:  A Slow Night"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 11:25:38 am »
update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/58233.html  "Chapter 32:  A Slow Night"

Oh boy are we getting spoiled. Thanks, Louise.