Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3039826 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2006, 07:41:48 am »
for anyone who is wondering, yes I am updating "A Second Chance" today.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2006, 07:57:46 am »
for anyone who is wondering, yes I am updating "A Second Chance" today.

Yahoo!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2006, 08:37:50 am »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/59863.html  "Chapter 37:  Politics"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2006, 09:30:49 am »
In honor of a new chapter this morning, I think we need this:

"Chalk one up for the queers." LOL

Thanks, Louise!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 09:36:38 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2006, 09:33:30 am »
those ARE the blue lizardskin boots in question, definitely!!!  Thanks Leslie!

I also had another email from a lurking fan congratulating me (us) on the fan thread.  I think he might be joining us soon.  I also see some other new registrations by people I recognize!!!

Offline Meira

• Don't Say Much
  • tell you what...
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2006, 09:37:59 am »
As a devoted fan of Louise's Ennis and Ellery stories, I am delighted to have been directed here to Chez Tremblay!   I won't be able to join in the conversation much for the next couple of weeks as my family and I are taking a road trip down the east coast (USA) and back, but I'll be around again as soon as I devour the chapters I missed while away.  I only wish we were headed west toward, you know... Wyoming!   ~Sigh~  another time....
Good to "meet" you all!!   -Meira

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2006, 09:42:16 am »
oh wow, welcome Meira.  I think we will be here when you get back...!  And there will surely be more to read!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2006, 09:42:41 am »
As a devoted fan of Louise's Ennis and Ellery stories, I am delighted to have been directed here to Chez Tremblay!   I won't be able to join in the conversation much for the next couple of weeks as my family and I are taking a road trip down the east coast (USA) and back, but I'll be around again as soon as I devour the chapters I missed while away.  I only wish we were headed west toward, you know... Wyoming!   ~Sigh~  another time....
Good to "meet" you all!!   -Meira

Welcome, Meira...join us when you can. I am sure you'll find plenty of Internet cafes on the road. Have a safe trip.

L

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2006, 09:48:23 am »
I've been worried about the car port.  I live in Arizona but moved here from Iowa.  Up north there are garages and few car ports.  Down here there are few garages and almost all car ports.  I looked up the weather in Laramie, and I see over the last winter that it did snow but from what I could find, it was not too heavy, not like in Iowa.  So I guess a car port is OK but somehow I don't think it would be too common.

The car port does solve the problem of seeing the patio from the front, and one bedroom the problem of access to the patio and to the living room.  I'm thinking that the kitchen is small and the kitchen table is the dining room.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2006, 09:54:30 am »
One of the reasons why Ellery doesn't have a "big fancy place" or big multi-bedroom rancher is because of his relatively stoic lifestyle.  Sparsely furnished, for a man who had planned to be alone after finally giving up following the breakup with Bill.  He isn't very materialistic, and so his home reflects this simplicity.  That was the thinking behind the "carport" rather than "garage" concept.

It does snow 11 months of the year in Wyoming, largely due to the mountain effects, but Laramie is in the southeast, out of the high mountainous terrain.  Hard to say whether it is "realistic" or not for him to have a carport, now that I think of it.