Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3080486 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2006, 03:43:18 pm »
Another Ellery-Ennis fan standing up to be counted!!!!  :D
And The Louise is here with us too.. :D

I still have alot of catching up to do ...I am still in the "Looking for Answers" installment, but I don't wish to rush myself.  I gotta enjoy every bit of the action (be it in or out of Ellery's house)...

THANK YOU LOUISE - for sharing your writing genius with us!!

Welcome, Lucise...so glad to have you with us. Louise is off at a concert all day, I swear I am having chapter withdrawal....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:37:19 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2006, 04:33:06 pm »
Welcome, Lucise...so glad to have you with us. Lousie is off at a concert all day, I swear I am having chapter withdrawal....

Oh Leslie ... just go back to Chapter 1 and start reading again... ;D

I got wine and dessert and my whole evening is mapped out - just the three of us: Ennis, Ellery and me!!
It's a friggin good life!  ;D

Offline David

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 04:33:25 pm »
David will appreciate this...Ellery's car, a 1982 blue El Camino

Ha ha ha!    Perfect!     I was just thinking about that this morning too!

The El Camino was marketed as a "Gentlemans" pickup.      I can't believe with todays popularity of Trucks that none of the car companies have resurected the El camino & Ranchero vehicles.   Half car & Half truck.    What could be more practical?    You can haul stuff to the dump, wash the car, then take your special someone out for a nice night out on the town in total comfort of a passenger car.

Offline David

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 04:35:02 pm »
Oh Leslie ... just go back to Chapter 1 and start reading again... ;D

I got wine and dessert and my whole evening is mapped out - just the three of us: Ennis, Ellery and me!!
It's a friggin good life!  ;D

A threesome with Ennis and Ellery?   Now thats some high class entertainment!!! ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2006, 04:44:12 pm »
I am wondering what Ellery's house looks like. We have a few details--living room has lots of bookcases, a couch and recliner and 4 (I think) windows across the front. The kitchen has been described as a galley kitchen. I am imagining a single story ranch, with a carport. Come in the front door, into the living room. Kitchen with a small dining area is behind the living room, with a sliding glass door off the back onto the patio. There's a hall with three bedrooms: a decent sized master bedroom and two smaller ones, one of which Ellery has converted into an office. The other is probably a guest room but has become a place with an accumulation of "stuff." Nowadays, it is where the treadmill would be but back in 1984, treadmills in the home weren't as ubiquitous as they are today. One bathroom. Is it built on slab or does it have a basement?

What's on the outside? Brick? Wood? What do they have in Wyoming?

What I am not clear on is how someone coming up to the house by the driveway could see someone on the patio, which is in the back and surrounded by high hedges.

L
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:46:15 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2006, 04:44:51 pm »
A threesome with Ennis and Ellery?   Now thats some high class entertainment!!! ;)

I dunno...I might end up dead! LOL

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 04:56:15 pm »
These pictures are a big help.  Now I can visualize Ellery and recall the stare of Ennis and see the El Camino .  It would be nice to have a floor plan of the house and maybe an exterior shot of what it might look like.  I was wondering too about being able to see the patio from the front.  Seems there was a side path directly to the patio from the front.  One might stand to the side and peer back but I doubt you could see the entire space.  It's cerainly a nice house in a nice neighborhood.  What do the neighibors think?  Have they met the boys?

Offline David

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 04:56:34 pm »
I am wondering what Ellery's house looks like.

I picture a ranch style house,  driveway on the right side.    The house is brick faced only halfway up the front.    Big multi-paned bow window in front.    Living room in the front with a fireplace that is flanked by bookcases.    An eat-in Kitchen in the back that has a sliding glass door to a patio.  The roof of the house over hangs in the back to cover the patio.    Not a huge yard, but a medium sized tree in the middle and plenty of shrubs and small trees on the sides for privacy.   A fairly good sized master bedroom with attached master bath.  A King sized bed that never seems to be made.   LOL   It gets too much use!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 05:01:13 pm »
I picture a ranch style house,  driveway on the right side.    The house is brick faced only halfway up the front.    Big multi-paned bow window in front.    Living room in the front with a fireplace that is flanked by bookcases.    An eat-in Kitchen in the back that has a sliding glass door to a patio.  The roof of the house over hangs in the back to cover the patio.    Not a huge yard, but a medium sized tree in the middle and plenty of shrubs and small trees on the sides for privacy.   A fairly good sized master bedroom with attached master bath.  A King sized bed that never seems to be made.   LOL   It gets too much use!

For some reason, I picture the driveway on the left.

The window in the front...remember, four lights were shot out and the description of Ennis fixing them made them sound light small lights (panes). Would that be one big bow window or no?

Ennis makes the bed...he's meticulous that way  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 05:02:26 pm »
These pictures are a big help.  Now I can visualize Ellery and recall the stare of Ennis and see the El Camino .  It would be nice to have a floor plan of the house and maybe an exterior shot of what it might look like.  I was wondering too about being able to see the patio from the front.  Seems there was a side path directly to the patio from the front.  One might stand to the side and peer back but I doubt you could see the entire space.  It's cerainly a nice house in a nice neighborhood.  What do the neighibors think?  Have they met the boys?

There was one comment that the neighbors were happy when Ellery moved in...happy to have a career law enforcement professional in the neighborhood. No mention that they have met Ennis yet.

How long has Ellery lived here?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 05:08:21 pm by MaineWriter »