Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3090754 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:53 pm »
I was just looking at the Bettermost Stats page, and would you believe that this thread is in the Top 10 (for number of replies)?  :D 
Jeez, it has picked up over the last couple of days hasn't?

Woowee!  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2006, 06:40:31 pm »
Wow...top ten! I'm impressed.

I think this is the first thread that has ever been featured on the "news" too. What I am really enjoying is that we seem to have a good mix of humor and serious discussion. Some threads are just silly, some are just serious, we seem to have found a good balance between the two.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2006, 06:55:11 pm »
This is on TOB
http://theanswermaysurpriseyou.blogspot.com/2006/06/q-did-brokeback-mountain-make-america_27.html

Anyway cut to the chase of the above article

Google Trends: "Brokeback Mountain" vs "gay sex"
Blue is the search hits for "Brokeback Mountain", red is "gay sex".

After point D, why do you think the interest in “gay sex” continue to grow?  I think all the female BBM fan fiction writers doing research for their stories definitely helped keeping the no. up.  ;D

p.s.  This google trend tool is really cool.  Some search terms show strong correlation, some don’t.  You can search trend like "Brokeback Mountain" vs "gay sex"
http://www.google.com/trends?q=brokeback+mountain%2C+gay+sex&ctab=0&geo=US&date=all
I tried BBM vs Jake Gyllenhaal, and BBM vs Heath Ledger.

EDIT:  I am adding what each reference point means here:

A:  'Brokeback Mountain' wins top Venice award
KVUE (subscription) - Sep 10 2005    

B:  'Brokeback Mountain' Leads Globe Nods
CBS News - Dec 13 2005    

C:  'Brokeback Mountain' Gets 8 Oscar Nods
New York Sun - Jan 31 2006    

D:  Brokeback Mountain Wins Oscar
Undercover Music News - Mar 6 2006    

E:  Actor Randy Quaid drops lawsuit over 'Brokeback Mountain' pay
Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - May 4 2006    

F: Kevin Smith's Recalls Hellish Hemorrhoid Problems After Watching Brokeback Mountain Recently
Starpulse.com - May 25 2006    

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:04:15 pm by JennyC »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2006, 06:59:27 pm »
This is on TOB
http://theanswermaysurpriseyou.blogspot.com/2006/06/q-did-brokeback-mountain-make-america_27.html

Anyway cut to the chase of the above article

Google Trends: "Brokeback Mountain" vs "gay sex"
Blue is the search hits for "Brokeback Mountain", red is "gay sex".

Well, A to D also sums up my heart rate during one of them Ennis/Ellery sex scenes ... ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2006, 07:23:12 pm »
Could this be Carol Off-Duty??   ;D

Hehe ...
Later guys!

Offline David

« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2006, 07:27:45 pm »
That'll get Chris Slayers over here quickly!     LOL    :laugh:

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #386 on: June 28, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
Love is not quantifiable.  It is not just a feeling because love takes time.  It involves process and a story and the story we tell is important to the nature of love itself.  We use LOVE when we want to proclaim that a long-developing relationship works.

Ennis love of Jack is not diminished by his love of Ellery.  If anything, it may be increased, not decreased, and increased proportionally to his love of Ellery.  Ellery is lovable in his own right, as is Ennis, as is Jack, each lovable in, and of, and for himself.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #387 on: June 28, 2006, 08:44:51 pm »
I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in about your take on their relationship.  It is difficult to know how far to push a topic.  And Meira, in response to your comment about it happening too quickly with the bondage... for Ennis, I was hoping that the flashback episode when he roped Jack would serve as the seed for his getting more  inventive, particularly because he told Ellery about it and that led to Ellery asking him to use the lariat.  Ennis knew, from his first experience tying up Jack with the lariat that it wasn't really a suitable medium to use on a lover whom you don't want to injure, and after leaving rope burns on Ellery he was determined to think of a better solution after their camping experience.

I have been cautious about "just how inventive" Ennis can get, and have tried to keep the focus on things he would have experience with (ropes and knots) and being introduced to new things (the dildo) by Ellery who is more worldly.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2006, 09:13:49 pm »
Note:  Please do not be alarmed

I am leaving after work tomorrow to drive to Baden Baden for a weekend seminar.  While I have had some free time during my normal "workdays" to write some chapters, that time will be curtailed since I will be busy during the European day this weekend (until I come home Sunday afternoon) so there will not be as many updates.  But this is a temporary situation.  It will give Lucise and others time to catch up and for new readers to savor the experience of reading the "Laramie Saga" from the beginning.

Edit:  there WILL be updates and of course I will be posting in here.  But if I am lucky maybe a chapter each day.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 09:47:27 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2006, 09:15:37 pm »
The memory of Jack is safe with Ennis. Ellery is NOT Jack. And a very poor substitute.

Pgcatz:  I for one would not want to try to stifle contradictory opinions.  However, I would ask you whether you have actually read the stories prior to making your comments.  One thing I do believe is unfair to the thread and to the forum as a whole is to make a comment sight unseen.  Have you read the books as yet?