Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3089106 times)

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2006, 09:54:34 am »
Love is not quantifiable.  It is not just a feeling because love takes time.  It involves process and a story and the story we tell is important to the nature of love itself.  We use LOVE when we want to proclaim that a long-developing relationship works.

Ennis love of Jack is not diminished by his love of Ellery.  If anything, it may be increased, not decreased, and increased proportionally to his love of Ellery.  Ellery is lovable in his own right, as is Ennis, as is Jack, each lovable in, and of, and for himself.

Louise, I've just been rereading the beginning of Taking Chances.  It is fantastic how you handle the fact that love is not just a feeling but a process and a story, showing how Ennis comes to terms with his love of Jack and his beginning love of Ellery.  You are a genius, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2006, 09:55:44 am »
eeeek! 

*eats out of the Doctor's hand.*

I just hope you aren't checking Ennis for blood clots after his concussion!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2006, 09:57:05 am »
hey guys, this forum has a chat system!  I am in the chat!  click on "Chat" and maybe we can have a little party before I leave for Baden Baden!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2006, 10:15:44 am »
June you don't remember reading about Nate, who said Ennis had a nice tight sweet ass?  Now I can believe THAT GUY said that, and that he does his radiator repairs in that hair-revealing tank top!

and yes, it is Chapter 47!
Sorry for my delayed reply - RL and all that ::)
Oh THAT repair man!! From the garage!! Of course I remember him! The guy that was always winking at Ennis, hehehe! I always imagined him to be unattractive!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2006, 10:17:29 am »
It's good. Enjoy!
It's ALWAYS good  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:59 am »
come in the chat June!!!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2006, 10:37:22 am »
  I pictured him as a little less ... er, dashing though.

Me too Louisev.   That guy is kinda hot in a redneck way.  Ennis may have been flattered at the compliment about his butt!   LOL

But THIS is more of how I pictured "Nate".   A real good-ol'boy type of mechanic.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:52 am »
hee hee David, ever resourceful.

Yeah that blond "nate" is hot but the one you posted is a little more good old boy, with a streak of gaeity.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:08 am »
SQUEE!  CHAT!

Okay, we managed to get together an impromptu with a few of the people from this thread and a couple of mods, and since I am on my way off to Baden Baden this afternoon I am going to have to cut it short.

But I will plan to be back in the Chat (see the Chat button at the top of your screen) at 3 p.m. Eastern Time!  (that is 9 p.m. Central Europe time or 8 p.m. UK time).  And if you show up you can play "Ask the Author" or whatever you would like to chat about!!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2006, 10:51:51 am »
Me too Louisev.   That guy is kinda hot in a redneck way.  Ennis may have been flattered at the compliment about his butt!   LOL

But THIS is more of how I pictured "Nate".   A real good-ol'boy type of mechanic.

Nah, I think he's too old. I pictured Nate as young, trying to get his garage up and running.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!