Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3089542 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2006, 10:58:02 am »
Hi all,

Louise sent me over from davecullen...  This sight seems so similar in set-up I don't really get it... but that is off-topic.  It's cool to have a just Ennis and Ellery group so I don't have to wade through info on stories I don't read.

I only read about the last 10 pages of this thread - but I sense there is a gallery of characters somewhere, directions anyone?

Also, I have struggled a lot to get a clear picture of Ellery in my head - the recent cover of Newsweek Johnny Depp is the closest thing I've seen to 'my' Ellery.  I must confess I do sometimes struggle with a vision of older Ennis - I think of older Ennis in the movie, but he is so damn withdrawn it doesn't always fit great with the Ennis I know in Laramie - I usually end going back to younger, more free Ennis... anyhow, I'll stop rambling.

Judd Nelson gets my vote for Beagle too!

Blond Nate - he's Thor from Adventures in Baby Sitting right?  His looks work for me, but he's just a little  too young...

And Louise - just read chap 47!  Thanks so much for some Ennis time!  I love Ellery but have really been feeling Ennis' absence of late...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2006, 11:01:50 am »
Hi all,

Louise sent me over from davecullen...  This sight seems so similar in set-up I don't really get it... but that is off-topic.  It's cool to have a just Ennis and Ellery group so I don't have to wade through info on stories I don't read.

I only read about the last 10 pages of this thread - but I sense there is a gallery of characters somewhere, directions anyone?

Also, I have struggled a lot to get a clear picture of Ellery in my head - the recent cover of Newsweek Johnny Depp is the closest thing I've seen to 'my' Ellery.  I must confess I do sometimes struggle with a vision of older Ennis - I think of older Ennis in the movie, but he is so damn withdrawn it doesn't always fit great with the Ennis I know in Laramie - I usually end going back to younger, more free Ennis... anyhow, I'll stop rambling.

Judd Nelson gets my vote for Beagle too!

Blond Nate - he's Thor from Adventures in Baby Sitting right?  His looks work for me, but he's just a little  too young...

And Louise - just read chap 47!  Thanks so much for some Ennis time!  I love Ellery but have really been feeling Ennis' absence of late...

Hey nB, welcome! Glad to have you here. Let me find you a piece of cherry cake.

You win the trivia prize--yes, Thor (Dawson) from Adventures in Babysitting. In real life, Vincent D'Onofrio.

Scroll through the thread for the pics. Lucise collects them together in a gallery every now and then. We also have props and horses. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2006, 11:04:34 am »
Hi notBastet

Louise sent me over from davecullen...  This sight seems so similar in set-up I don't really get it...
Both of these forums use the same forum software, but hosted by different folks.

Further back in the thread.  Hee.  The gallery is just posted here so far - might be nice to have a second thread just for the gallery, like we have at Dave Cullen.

the recent cover of Newsweek Johnny Depp is the closest thing I've seen to 'my' Ellery. 

Huum, saw your mention of that at DC -- I'll have to go find that cover pic cause I don't see it off the top of my head.  But thanks for the prompt.

Monica

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2006, 11:13:47 am »
I like Judd Nelson for Beagle too. And I like David's Nate! That's exactly how I imagined him to be!

Louise - I thought chapter 47 was so emotional. I was choking up. Edna is such a darling, I am so thankful Ennis has Edna and Wes in his life now. And his thoughts on Jack and love and his tears at the end, jesus, powerful stuff.

Thanks so much  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2006, 11:16:07 am »
Monica hi!

I dont think I'll ever get the hang of that quoting you just did! hehehe  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2006, 11:22:46 am »
Monica hi!

I dont think I'll ever get the hang of that quoting you just did! hehehe  ;D

Actually, the quoting is different (and easier) than davecullen in that you don't get all those nested quotes. When you hit "quote" only the last thing someone wrote is quoted.

To do it Monica's way, you need to go in and add [quote ] and [/quote ] (without the spaces) around the sentences you want, but as you can see from my reply earlier, I don't usually bother.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2006, 12:06:03 pm »
Hey all,  It takes forever to post here from my computer... Anyway have pm'd Louise and all but laid my first borne at her feet. Think she is doing a terrific job.  You guys are a hoot too. Doing a great job picturing characters, the El Camino, etc...
Reading the board is fun. 

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Chapter 47:

"Nellie, who pranced up to the gate, ears flicking forward, eyes bright, and he slipped his hand between the slats, opened flat, and she nibbled up a chunk of brown sugar, crunching on it with a nodding gesture of her head, whickering."

Really lovely image, Louise.  Loves Nellie!

Oh, and Edna too.

And Ellery.

Get the picture?   ;D

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2006, 12:18:42 pm »
You win the trivia prize--yes, Thor (Dawson) from Adventures in Babysitting. In real life, Vincent D'Onofrio.
But heck, I had no idea that was Vincent D'Onofrio!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2006, 12:22:08 pm »
GALLERY Update ...  ;D

The The LARAMIE SAGA Cast GALLERY thus far:

The lads who started it all:

The Chief Deputy Sheriff, Ellery Cantrell: (On and OFF duty) :P

Wayne:

Gene:

Carol (On and Off Duty)  ;D

Joe "Round's a Shape" Tooey ..   :)

Bill

Wes & Edna

Dupree:   (On and Off Duty)  ;)

Amos Marigold perhaps?

Jim   ??

Beagle (Before & Now)

Nate, the radiator repairman

OR   

----------------

Ellery's car:

Ellery's potential home:

----------------

When I get home tonight, I'll compile the list of PROPS and HORSES!

;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:33:32 pm by Lucise »