Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3094179 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #540 on: July 01, 2006, 08:57:52 am »
When I was walking my dogs Wednesday morning, I was thinking about my inability to read this story: I couldn't imagine Ennis with anybody else. In my heart and mind, Jack asked me if I thought that was fair to Ennis. (If you wonder about Jack speaking to me, I share a little of my story on my own lj - http://pastorfred.livejournal.com)

Then I came up with criteria: Ellery had to be a good man and he had to have reverence for the great love of Ennis and Jack. Needless to say, Ellery met those criteria and then some!

I've read the whole trilogy to date since Wednesday morning, and I haven't gotten much else done, and haven't slept a whole lot, either. On the other hand, I haven't encountered anything as deeply healing as the Laramie Saga.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #541 on: July 01, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
I haven't encountered anything as deeply healing as the Laramie Saga.
I have to agree with you, pastorfred. After reeling for months from the effects of reading and seeing BBM, the Laramie Saga has been my healing process. I connected instantly with Louise's Ennis, and I am moving out of my grief as he does. The heavy pain has been replaced by a deep sense of joy, and I am more open to my heart and others' needs. What a saving grace for me.

I read the story on your journal, at once painful and redemptive. What a blessing to have you there for Jack and Ennis.

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #542 on: July 01, 2006, 09:22:13 am »
How about a few composite Ennis/new-HJ-Ellery pix?  ;)

SQUEE!!  Thanks for these Lucise!  I'm partial to #1 and 2, myself.  LOVE that image of HJ-Ellery in number 1.  Very Ellery IMO.

Monica

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #543 on: July 01, 2006, 09:29:54 am »
Thanks, neatfreak! It surely helps to know that we are not alone, doesn't it?

LoveEmBoys - I'm partial to HJ-Ellery, too.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #544 on: July 01, 2006, 09:31:52 am »
When I was walking my dogs Wednesday morning, I was thinking about my inability to read this story: I couldn't imagine Ennis with anybody else. In my heart and mind, Jack asked me if I thought that was fair to Ennis.

Then I came up with criteria: Ellery had to be a good man and he had to have reverence for the great love of Ennis and Jack. Needless to say, Ellery met those criteria and then some!

Nicely put Fred.

On the other hand, I haven't encountered anything as deeply healing as the Laramie Saga.

Dang neatfreak, you got yours posted quicker than me!  But yes, Fred -- I find it healing as well.  For Ennis as well as myself.  It saddens me that some others can't see that connection.  But then we all can only interpret a story as it fits within our own lives / experience.

Dammit!  I want to move to Laramie and live with all these people!   

LOL!  Me too!

Louise:  Hugs HONEY!  Sorry to hear of your troubles!  I haven't been around so missed your chat sessions too.   :(    Are you headed back home tomorrow?  Keep your pecker up...  LOL -- that British expression never fails to make me smile.

Monica

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #545 on: July 01, 2006, 10:44:11 am »
from LoveEmBoys at 08:31:52 am
But then we all can only interpret a story as it fits within our own lives / experience.
So true! Because of my experience I can't deny that beautiful Jack died. I do get a lot of comfort from Alternate Universes, but I have to live in this one. I'm also dealing with some major real life grief: My dear wife died last December. So Brokeback Mountain - - - and now this incredible story - - - are helping me immensely.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #546 on: July 01, 2006, 12:05:09 pm »
Fred...so sorry to hear about your wife. My thoughts are with you.

This story...I just can't let it go. And meanwhile, I am writing another one, myself. The obsession continues!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #547 on: July 01, 2006, 01:00:36 pm »
Fred...so sorry to hear about your wife. My thoughts are with you.

This story...I just can't let it go. And meanwhile, I am writing another one, myself. The obsession continues!

L

Thanks so much, Leslie!

And I want you to know how very much "A Love Born from Steel" means to me. From Tom's philosophy of "Everything happens for a reason..." to the exquisite depiction of human spirituality. That universe is so very much like this one. Sometimes I want to go live there. I've been to Laramie, and I grew up in Texas. Your Quanah is a much better place than either one in this world.  ;)

I now life in a paradise called the Palouse in northern Idaho.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #548 on: July 01, 2006, 01:30:28 pm »
Fred,

So sorry to hear about your wife...

Welcome to Laramie Saga!  Anyday that one more person believes Ennis deserve a chance to have a happy life after Jack is a good day.  Jack would want that too.

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #549 on: July 01, 2006, 01:49:09 pm »
Fred,

So sorry to hear about your wife...

Welcome to Laramie Saga!  Anyday that one more person believes Ennis deserve a chance to have a happy life after Jack is a good day.  Jack would want that too.

Thanks, JennyC!

So true, ain't it? That Jack wants that. There are so many times in Laramie Saga that I can feel the presence of Jack. He's always egging those boys on, too! Somehow I have the feeling that he gets to share in the sweet life that E & E are building. When we hear from those who have gone ahead of us, they speak through our own hearts and minds. So Ennis can't hear Jack's forgiveness until he can imagine it. And Ellery helps him hear Jack tell him that he had done the best he could, that there truly was ultimately nothing to forgive. And so many other times...

There's a much more literal way Jack was instrumental: It was his journal that got Ennis out of that little room and on the road to Laramie, to Ellery and his future.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred