Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093452 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #560 on: July 01, 2006, 03:41:29 pm »
Ok gang.  From your loyal author.

Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/63589.html "Chapter 50: Unexpected Visitor"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #561 on: July 01, 2006, 03:42:05 pm »
And YES!  I have about half an hour and will hang out in Chat Campfire for a bit!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #562 on: July 01, 2006, 04:22:45 pm »
How do I chat? Never done it before.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2006, 04:27:19 pm »
you click on the chat lips on the main menu.

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2006, 04:52:35 pm »
Shoot. Now that I've found it at the top of the page, you're offline. I'll be ready next time!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2006, 06:01:14 pm »
For absolutely no reason at all, except to give people a Saturday afternoon laugh, I offer the following.

Telephone conversation between Heath Ledger and Joe Albierti, his agent. (Disclaimer: I really don't know the name of Heath's agent.)

-----------------------------------

“Hullo?” said Heath, answering the phone on its third ring.

“Hey, Heath, it’s Joe,” came the booming voice of his agent. “How’s it hanging?”

Heath winced. Ever since Brokeback Mountain, certain expressions just didn’t seem funny anymore. “I’m fine, Joe,” said Heath. “How about you?”

“Fine, fine, fine. Now, listen Heath, I have a project I want to talk to you about. You want to chat now or get together in person?”

“Chat now is fine,” said Heath. “I’m not in the middle of anything.” Actually, he’d been thinking about going to the market to buy some vegetables and pasta for a primavera, but that could wait.

“All right,” said Joe. “So, you know how Brokeback made such a buzz, blew everyone’s socks off and people have been talking sequel for months now.”

“I know,” said Heath, “but how can there be a sequel? Jack is dead. No way to bring him back to life, now, is there? This isn’t the TV show Dallas.”

Joe laughed at that. “You’re absolutely right,” he said, “but there is the possibility of picking up the story where it ends…or maybe a few years later.”

“And…” said Heath, leaving the thought unfinished.

“Well,” said Joe, “we’ve had a bunch of interns working in the office, scouring the Internet for possible stories.”

“Scouring the Internet?” said Heath, not clearly following Joe’s train of thought.

“Yeah,” replied Joe. “There are lots of Brokeback fans out there, writing stories that pick up on the original. Some change the ending, some having Jack surviving.”

“Oh,” said Heath. “You mean fanfic. You guys are looking at fanfic for a possible sequel to Brokeback?”

“You know about fanfic?” said Joe.

“I’ve heard about it, yeah,” responded Heath.

“So, yes, we’re looking at fanfic as a possible source of a story. Now, most of what we have found won’t work, but we’ve come across this one story that would. And we’re thinking of optioning it for a movie.”

“So what’s the premise?” asked Heath.

“It picks up in 1984, two years after Jack’s death. Ennis has been basically alone, spending some time with Junior. Y’know, poor as shit, nothing much has changed. Then he does some reading, this and that, ends up in a gay bar in Laramie.”

“And…?” said Heath, urging Joe to continue.

“He meets a guy, eventually they get together, have a relationship. The guy’s name is Ellery.”

“Doesn’t sound like much of a story, Joe. Not enough to carry a whole movie.”

“Well, that’s the core of it for Ennis. There’s lots of other stuff going on. The guy, Ellery, is  a cop and gets involved in trying to find out what happened to Jack, if he was murdered. And he owns the gay bar, too, so there’s that whole angle of the story. As a matter of fact,” he said, pausing, “there’s way too much story for a movie. We’d have to cut some of it down. Right now the author is on her third book, it is turning into an epic.”

“Wow,” said Heath. “Sounds interesting.” He paused for a minute. “You said it takes place after the story, right? So I’d be old Ennis.”

“Yes, you’d be 41, 42. He has a birthday in the story, actually.”

“I didn’t like old Ennis,” said Heath. “I didn’t like all that latex shit they put on my face, and making my hair look like straw.”

Joe laughed. “Well, we could work it out to make you look younger, probably. Ennis falls really hard for this guy Ellery. He’d be really happy, that would take some of the age out of his face. Oh, and about the hair…your curls would be back. Ellery likes Ennis’s curls.”

Heath paused for a minute, letting it all sink in, then he asked, “Would Jake be back?”

“He might—for a small part. There are a few flashback scenes that might get included.”

“What about Ellery? Any thought of who’d play his character?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact,” said Joe, “there’s talk about Hugh Jackman. Know him?”

“I’ve met him a few times,” said Heath. “Seems like a nice guy. Never worked with him, though.” He paused. “How did Jackman’s name come up?”

Joe took a breath. “Actually, in addition to the story on the Internet, there’s this—I guess you’d call it a fan club—and they have been busy casting the production. Jackman seems like a good choice. He’s got the right look. Ellery’s tall, very thin, grey eyes, black hair…”

They were both silent for a minute, then Joe continued. “Now, one thing I have to tell you, Heath…there’s more sex in this story than there was in Brokeback. In other words, you need to get used to the idea of more than 90 seconds in a tent and one hot reunion kiss.”

Heath laughed softly. “And where did this come from?”

“Audience feedback. They wanted more and since this story has a happy ending, we can give them more.”

“Is there sex in the story? The one on the Internet, I mean?” said Heath.

“Ohhhh yes,” said Joe. “Lots. Rather explicit, as a matter of fact. We’d need to tone it down for the movie.”

“Rather explicit?” said Heath. “That sounds more like slash, not fanfic.”

“Oh,” said Joe. “You know the difference?”

Heath sounded exasperated. “I haven’t been living under a rock, you know. Yes, I know the difference. I also know what RPS is, too, and yes, I’ve read a few of the stories.”

Joe laughed. “Maybe we should let you do the scouring, forget the interns.” Heath chuckled along with this comment. “So, Heath, still interested?”

“Maybe. I’d like to read the story. Send me an email with the link and I’ll get started on it tonight.”

“Okay,” said Joe, “will do. But let me warn you, you might not want to start reading until you have about three days of your life to devote to this. It is rather addicting.”

Heath laughed. “Thanks for the warning. Send me the link. And send me the link to the fan club, too. Maybe I’ll drop in for a visit.”

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #566 on: July 01, 2006, 08:21:52 pm »
Leslie,

What can I say, Bravo!   :laugh: :laugh:

Got to run now, but I am glad that I read the telephone conversation before I leave.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #567 on: July 01, 2006, 08:55:23 pm »
WooHoo...Heath will be visiting our E&E thread, thanks to Leslie!  ;D
I hope he checks out the props gallery, and I hope he takes particular note of the huge jar of vaseline!  :P ;D

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2006, 10:41:55 pm »
OMG!    :o    If they ever did make this into a screenplay, they'd have to really tone down the sex scenes!    I'd imagine that all we'd see is Heath/Ennis grin and tell Ellery that Mr.Coyote is hungry then we'd see them walk into the bedroom and thats it!   LOL.     I suppose they be able to show the lovey dovey romance scenes and some post sex cuddling, but none of the hot and spicey stuff we've read so far!

I think Heath would freak out if he read half the stuff!       But I think they could make a sequal involving the search for Jacks killer.   Plus Ennis's trip to see Jacks Mom and the trek back up to spread the ashes. 

Who would we need from the original cast?

Heath as Ennis of course.

Jake for the flashback scenes of Jacks trip to Austin, Texas.

Roberta Maxwell as Jacks Mom.

Kate Mara as Alma Junior.

Michelle Williams-Ledger as Alma.

Hugh Jackman as Ellery

Paul Sorvino as Sheriff Wes ?

Kathy Bates as Edna ?

_________  as Carol.

_________  as Bill

_________  as Dupree.

_________  as Wayne.

_________  as Gene.

_________  Lang.

_________  Chris.

_________  Lauren.

_________ Toomey

_________  Worrell (the Killer)

Ok, lets see which actors we can get to fill the parts!

Well, some characters might need to get dropped if their storyline gets cut from the movie.   

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #569 on: July 02, 2006, 12:30:04 am »
A little fact I have come across...and it is an inconsistency in different places in the story--the city of Laramie is in Albany Country, WY. There is a Laramie County, in the southwest corner, and the biggest city in that county is Cheyenne.

Technically, I think, Ellery would work for the Albany Country Sheriff's Department. I know we have said different things, and have shown the badge of the Laramie Police Dept. on this thread, but sheriffs are at the county level, not city, right? At least, that's the way it works here in Maine. And the Albany County website would seem to indicate the same thing (although that has a different sherriff (James Pond) than the one David found the picture of the other day).

L

WE have a county sheriff's office that also includes towns in its territory.  IT is simply called County wide law enforcement---and the towns involved put in a % of the Sherriff's budget---depending on population so not all towns participate, but any that want to pay a part of the county budget for law enforcement do not need to hire any town police then. We are rural SD, and the biggest town involved is just over 1300 people.   But bigger cities that tend to have more problems--have separate city police and County sheriff and deputies, and they usually work together, and then the State Highway patrol includes everything in their jurisdiction.
So I think she can make it work either way if she needs a technical out situation. LOL
I like thinking of Ellery as County wide any way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:32:03 am by ranchgal »