Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093441 times)

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2006, 12:43:48 pm »
Louise:

I have not had a chance to read the last two installments, so the following questions are based up to chapter 52.

If I might? which chapter or part of the story are you most pleased with?

What has been the most difficult theme to write?

You do such a great job of mixing up the characters, introducing a topic and seeing it thru to a natural conclusion.  Then adding something in the mix. to scramble it up and keep it going.  I think what I am saying is that the story and characters you have portrayed have depth.

For me, I have gotten the most enjoyment out of the time Ennis and Ellery have
Spent with family.  Although there are some really touching individual moments.
Ennis and Nellie, Ennis and Edna.  Wes and Ellery.  And always anything Ennis and Ellery are highlights.

As always // Great Job!

Gn411

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2006, 12:54:46 pm »
you mean just "A Second Chance" ?

In general, assuming we're talking about the entire series, I was most pleased with the scene with Alma, and the chapters on Brokeback in "Taking Chances", well... ok, the initial "making a pass" scene at the hotel, too.  Those three!

The most difficult has been writing the police/mystery/detective stuff, and part of my reasoning for resolving it in a dramatic rather than an investigative manner.  The story had to come back to Laramie somehow, and I couldn't see the normally laconic and "never shot anyone" Ellery having a shootout with his suspect somewhere in an Austin gay bar... too "Miami Vice" if you know what I mean, and way off the track of the impact of the murder on its principals.  I picked the brains of my lawyer friend to the maximum extent possible for what I did write of the investigation, background check, etc. , and the symmetry of Worrell turning berserk as soon as he knew someone was looking for him, and stalking Ellery in turn, seemed psychologically satisfying and gave me a chance to bring Ennis center stage to face Jack's killer, something that has helped him.  (iMHO)

And keeping originality in the sex chapters has of course... been an ongoing challenge!

And I am sitting here devourinig my dinner in front of an open chat window if anyone would like to join up.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2006, 03:21:08 pm »
We haven't had a prop in awhile. This should get everybody's mouth watering....

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #623 on: July 03, 2006, 03:33:13 pm »
No wonder Ellery wanted seconds!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #624 on: July 03, 2006, 03:41:05 pm »
Update time:

Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/64863.html  "Chapter 55:  The Other Man"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
“See you at the bar, Ennis,” he winked, a petulant pout on his lips, and he flounced out the door.

Hee - There's my boy!

You know, I don't really know why I'm so darn attached to Wayne, but with lines like this how can I not?!  CRAP -- Another chapter?!  You are a wonder, Lousie!

M

EDIT:  woops, make that :  OH Boy, Another Chapter??     ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #626 on: July 03, 2006, 03:46:59 pm »
I am making it up to everyone for the paucity of writing I did over the weekend.

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #627 on: July 03, 2006, 04:02:42 pm »
Update time:

Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/64863.html  "Chapter 55:  The Other Man"

OK now --  CHAP 55 SPOILERS to follow:

Ellery's showing a new side, huh?  I'm diggin the fact that it gets to fall to Ellery to explain the way things are to Junior.  Makes all sorts of sense given Ellery and Ennis, and I think it's probably a lot easier for Junior to hear coming from someone other than Ennis.  But Ellery schemed Ennis into working at the bar in order to get more comfortable with queers?  Am I so incredibly shallow I didn't see that one for what it was?  Hrumph.  Score another point for Ellery.

And the chasing miniskirts comment? -- made me LOL.  Glad Junior was able to take that one in stride.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #628 on: July 03, 2006, 04:29:23 pm »
Warning! Spoilers of Chapter 55.

I think it was a good idea to have Ellery explain things to Alma Jr.    Ennis (like any parent) would be embarassed t otalk about that stuff with his daughter.     

I am shocked that he kissed Ellery in front of her before going to work!     Ennis doesn't even want Ellery to call him "sweetheart" at the bar in front of the guys!  LOL

But I'm glad he did.   If he wants to maintain a relationship with her she needs to accept him the way he is now.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #629 on: July 03, 2006, 04:37:02 pm »
he WAS holding his breath!!!