Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185047 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6580 on: November 11, 2006, 11:36:50 pm »

[/center]

"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." Kahlil Gibran
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6581 on: November 11, 2006, 11:54:46 pm »
Ennis Del Mar’s Little Book of (Hard Won) Wit and Wisdom

The good news is that you may have created my past and screwed up my present but you have no control over my future. 

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point where you thought it was the end.

When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.

Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith, jump, and build your wings on the way down.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow.

Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye and deny it

Sometimes there are things in our life that aren't meant to stay. Sometimes change may not be what we want. Sometimes change is what we really need. And sometimes saying goodbye is the hardest thing you think you'll ever have to do, but sometimes it's saying 'hello again' that breaks you down and makes you the most vulnerable person you'll ever know. Sometimes change is too much to bear, but most of the time change is the only thing saving your life.

As time goes by, life has a way of rearranging itself. People enter your life, and inevitably, they leave as well. Things have a tendency to happen that can turn your world upside down. You’ll come to realize eventually, that even though things are different, you are as well.

It's LIFE you're angry at. People leave. Period. They move on; they get sick; they die. That's life, darling. That's life. But if you let that stop you from living then what's the point of it all?

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.

It might sound strange to start a story with an ending, but all endings are also beginnings, we just don't know it yet

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 03:56:56 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6582 on: November 12, 2006, 03:34:49 am »
SPOILER

" “Excuse me?” her voice squeaked slightly.

“I think you heard me loud an clear, Counselor. We got ta pull this arson thing together, so stop tryin ta redo what is already done, trot out Cantrell’s list for next week’s prelim an let’s get this show on the road.”"

Am I the only one who thinks Wes was way, way out of line?

I used to do some prosecuting work (for a short time, a million years ago, and not in the US, so I am not familiar with its legal system ), but I really think that when a DA handles  a case, all major decisions should be his/ hers, and not the police (who sometime have a very different view as to how the case should be handled ).

I am a little surprised that she didn't like Ellery's list - as he is experienced, and very good at what he does - but it should be her call, as it is her responsibility (and if she's wrong, her days in that job are few ...).

If I were her, I would march right into my boss's office, and raise hell !! (if I am not competent to pick my own witnesses, than I am clearly not competent to lead the case ...)

Again, just my 2 cents...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6583 on: November 12, 2006, 03:58:10 am »
SPOILER!!! eeek, here I warned all of you about spoilers and then I forget them!
#
#

RonitR - I didn't present the situation as clear-cut.  Wes had had a little preliminary discussion with Samuelson ahead of time to find out what her experience was with murder cases, and let her know that Ellery had a lot of experience and she could rely on him - and she didn't look at what he had prepared.

Yes - you are right in that the DA's office has to pick its own witnesses and make its own case, that is very true.  However, in a short-staffed situation (she hasn't even got someone to answer the phone right now) it is foolish to disregard the field work done by the chief deputy on the case (who met with the witnesses after all.)  Yes - it is her decision, however, Wes is right to raise a red flag if she is going to reinterview people simply because she doesn't want to use any of the prep work Ellery did - they have to work together, no matter what, and that means cooperation.  The problem is not who gets to choose who the witnesses are - it is an issue of cooperation, and she has no reason to second-guess Ellery's police work.  Not yet, anyway.  If he were a lower ranking officer, maybe, but not when he is the most seasoned person on Wes's staff.  Of course Wes is going to come down on her for that.  That's what I was going for.  But then again, I never worked as a prosecutor...!  He did ask her if she had any reason to question Ellery's judgement.... and she doesn't.  Just that it isn't hers.  Does that make sense?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6584 on: November 12, 2006, 04:43:12 am »
SPOILER

Yes, Louise, it makes a LOT of sense.

Thinking on it again - if she had any real reason to question Ellery's witness list, she should have advised Wes (if only to make sure the same mistakes are not repeated).

I guess I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt - right now I like the ADA ( all 6 feet of her' LOL). ;D and I remember what its' like to be a new girl on the team, with all the guys assuming you can't cut mustard because, well, you're a girl...  :-\

Still - the new chapters are GREAT fun. Wish it was a TV series, so we actually got to SEE Dupree's face when she corrected his grammar, or  Wes' s face when he heard she didn't like Ellery's list  ;D

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6585 on: November 12, 2006, 05:57:17 am »
SPOILER

Wish it was a TV series, so we actually got to SEE Dupree's face when she corrected his grammar, or  Wes' s face when he heard she didn't like Ellery's list  ;D

Absolutely. This is just made for TV (if not a movie). Imagine the cliffhangers. Of course the sex would need to be toned down but these days hardly anything is left to the imagination anyway. And TV series often work through relationship and contemporary social issues as well featuring high drama.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6586 on: November 12, 2006, 06:01:35 am »
one thing I can't imagine myself ever doing ... is writing for TV! eeek eeek eeek!

I'm glad I didn't hit the wrong notes here - the tension and drama between the new ADA and our boys at the sheriff's office has generated a lot of comment!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #6587 on: November 12, 2006, 07:42:17 am »
Just read that Hugh will produce and star in a screen adaptation of Robert Littell's spy novel The Amateur. He will play a CIA agent whose fiancee is killed by terrorists.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6588 on: November 12, 2006, 07:45:13 am »
yup... I think that is on the 2007 release list.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6589 on: November 12, 2006, 07:53:34 am »

I've only read  the beginning sections of the thread because i don't want to know too much about what's coming. Actually i don't want to know ANYthing about what's coming, I'm midway through A Second Chance. Crazy about it. So I hope this doesn't bore the devil out of everybody <g>

Louise you are one prolific writer, can't believe how often you update. TWO, THREE, SOMETIMES 4 CHAPTERS A DAY! Some of the things  my fellow readers wrote in the beginning pages of the thread have me on the floor--that first fey and  skinny 20 year old who some  thought was Ellery had me falling out a my chair. Your own vision came very close to what was in my head.  Did you use the picture as a model, or find it after? The picture you posted really is the Ellery you write about!

And the floor plan of the house! That had me getting out my measuring tape and pad, figuring out the spacing of the blown out windows.

I hope some of the really off base  fan misconceptions have gotten cleared up though. I was speechless when somebody  went to realestate.com or something and looked at what was supposedly the housing stock.It's Wyoming, not Prince Georges County. roflmao!  Laramie has , I think 28,000 people, it's the most traditionally liberal place in a republican state. It's a small town proud of it's university and Museum, a small town where you would starve if food couldn't be imported, as absolutely nothing grows there. As in Nothing lol.

It's a small town in a  republican state which has a good  DEMOCRATIC governor ["Dave"], a state where you find hardcore bikers who rant about the stupidity of George Bush while church ladies plan the next social at the adjacent truck stop table. One night, two 20 year olds behind us--one with a GF who god help me reminded me of Alma--thrashed out the  devastation caused to their love ['a love we started in the 2nd grade...'] by booze. As in love. We thought it was a rewrite of Brokeback--the dark haired kid was confronting his  blonde haired buddy, who'd been so drunk that he had fallen out of his saddle 4 days before. And indeed, he was very drunk as he was reminded of this.  At which point the GF mumbled 'I can't handle this!' and ran to the ladies room.  Typical evening at the truckstop roflmao. Wyo i's not your usual  State lol.

The whole thing about real estate prices in Wyoming was hilarious. I mean it's WYOMING, where 20,000 acre ranches have a 'nice' house. Nothing more then NICE. Massapequa,on the south shore of Long Island nice. Ordinary. A split level  that costs 600,000.00+ in NJ and is just as ordinary would go for maybe 250,000.00  and have land with it. If it had a mountain view it would go for a million or 2 or yes, 3 and nobody would talk to you.

People live in Wyomig to be RURAL in the Cowboy State. You have something like 98,000 miles with less then half a million people living in them, you can stand on a hill in the most developed part of the state down by Cheyenne and Laramie and see 1 structure visible in the 20+ miles your gaze takes you.

To understand what all this means, and what Louisev is describing, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland--England, Wales, Scotland, the province of Ulster across the Irish sea and all the outlying areas such as Man and the Channel Islands,  the Orkneys--have approximately the SAME land area with [2005] SIXTY MILLION, TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE. Wyoming has about 450,000 inhabitants in the same land area. The vast loneliness of the High Plains DOES roll over you.

We went to a banquet  2 weeks ago. When my fiance called to ask what to wear the reply was a baffled: 'It's WYOMING.  Nobody will care what you wear.' The voice on the telephone continued: ' Nobody cares. You will find gowns, ranchwear and probably jeans and tshirts at the banquet. Wear whatever you feel like wearing. ' Which is exactly what she did [dark blouse, pearls, skirt, all Western], and what we found at the keynote banquet to what was one of the best literary events it's ever been my privelage to attend.  A banquet where one of the countries best writers read her work --in plain dark slacks and a blouse for you fashionistas--and the audience went wild.

Unless you have experienced Wyoming, it's almost impossible to do it justice--the poverty-which-isn't-poverty because urban and eastern standards do not apply and never have; the wealth; the 'normal' standards of the vast majority; the actual poverty by WYOMING standards; the strangeness; the openness of the people and real friendliness; the Native American nations; the feeling of ' us rural cowboys against the rest who don't get it and the lawyer who wears my hat'; the abnormal normality, the normal abnormality--like Cheyenne, living  literally on TOP of 40% of the worlds nuclear bombs { i'm serious--got a friend who has some off the backyard. He's very proud of 'his' nuclear bomb silo roflmao, says he kept NY and Berlin alive: 'Come on, let me show you ma nuclear weapons ' roflmaooooo}

And no i don't live there. Yet.  I'm just another guy who is in love with the High Plains just to the north of me, and the people who inhabit them. Most of my state of  thinks Wyoming is waaay wierd. It is. But then so am i lol.

Hope I didn't bore the hell out of the entire thread...just wanted to add my 12 cents. <g>

Jack
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"