Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093638 times)

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2006, 07:17:02 am »
More on our boys' diet ...

This is the only part of the Laramie Saga that I consider to be purest fantasy: the boys can eat like this and still be skinny. Not in my world! :laugh:

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #661 on: July 04, 2006, 07:21:48 am »
not only this but they are trying to PUT ON WEIGHT and not being successful.

Now, can you draw a connection between the hijinks in the bedroom and their painfully thin 32 inch waists?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #662 on: July 04, 2006, 07:24:59 am »
not only this but they are trying to PUT ON WEIGHT and not being successful.

Now, can you draw a connection between the hijinks in the bedroom and their painfully thin 32 inch waists?

Hmmm, I believe we've had the conversation that with these two, skinny is very very sexy.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #663 on: July 04, 2006, 07:27:57 am »

OMG!!   Merle Johnson is Troy Donahue?

If you only knew how many times I wrang it out over him after watching his early movies!

He is in one of my favorites.  "Parrish".  A movie  about the Connecticut Tobacco industy filmed in 1960.  Starring him with Claudet Colbert,  Karl Malden, Connie Stevens and Dean Jagger.    It was filmed in my home town and surrounding Connecticut landmarks.     My Mom was there with my older brother to watch them film some of the scenes.   I was not yet born yet....sigh...   Troys character was alot like Ennis.  Blonde, handsome, brooding and full of passionate anger! 

It pops up on the late movie or American Movie Classics sometimes.    The film was rereleased on VHS a few years back.   I don't think it is on DVD yet.

PARRISH Cast overview, first billed only:
Troy Donahue .... Parrish McLean
Claudette Colbert .... Ellen McLean
Karl Malden .... Judd Raike
Dean Jagger .... Sala Post
Connie Stevens .... Lucy
Diane McBain .... Alison Post
Sharon Hugueny .... Paige Raike
Dub Taylor .... Teet Howie
Hampton Fancher .... Edgar Raike
David Knapp .... Wiley Raike

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #664 on: July 04, 2006, 07:35:45 am »
OMG!!   Merle Johnson is Troy Donahue?

Yup. And he really did go to my high school, but quite a few years before me. He went for two years but then switched out to go to a military academy and graduated from that.

They had the old yearbooks in the library and there are pictures of him on the track team.

Troy/Merle died a few years ago he but in the last years of his life, he was doing the dinner theater circuit. A HS friend of mine (Alan) saw him in a show and actually went backstage afterwards, with his HS yearbook, and got Troy/Merle to sign it! Troy/Merle was actually so flattered he took my friend Alan out for a drink. Very, very small world, huh?

And Alan said he was still really good looking....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #665 on: July 04, 2006, 07:45:15 am »
you guys are just wild!

And I knew about the actors but I sure didn't know about Barbra Stanwyck. I knew she was "Miss Stanwyck" her whole life but I thought she just considered herself too good for all those guys!

She actually was married, twice.

In one of those great convergences of the universe, how about this little trivia fact I just dug up:

Stanwyck's papers are in the American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming, P.O. Box 3924, Laramie, WY 82071.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:13:57 am by MaineWriter »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #666 on: July 04, 2006, 07:55:40 am »
ow wow. wow.  Curiously enough Barbara Stanwyck is one of those actresses I always adored watching, no matter what!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #667 on: July 04, 2006, 08:54:16 am »
A Note From Your Author:

i uwas just reminded:  there are new readers joining up all the time.  Lucise is getting through Looking for Answers, LoveemBoys hasn't started LfA as yet, and you guys are spoilin the plot from here to France!

I think to be fair to new readers (there are a number of them) please mark major plot spoilers at the top of your posts when discussing the plot, and I will try to do the same!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #668 on: July 04, 2006, 08:57:51 am »
I'm IN THE CHAT NOW if anyone is around and wants to join.  3 p.m. CET.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #669 on: July 04, 2006, 11:35:02 am »
A Note From Your Author:

i uwas just reminded:  there are new readers joining up all the time.  Lucise is getting through Looking for Answers, LoveemBoys hasn't started LfA as yet, and you guys are spoilin the plot from here to France!

Hehe .. I am finally in a Second Chance, Chapter 35 to be precise! :)

When it looks like a chapter that I havent read is being discussed, or I see the word 'spoiler', I just skip the post..hehe..
Has worked so far! ;D