Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3095030 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #720 on: July 05, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »
awww I didnt want anyone to have to stifle discussion.

I guess we need to sort of deal with that somehow.  Since this thread is for discussion of the trilogy and people are at various places in it, how should we deal with spoilers? 

I think there is a bit of self-reflection that needs to occur for readers. For example, I read movie reviews before I see a movie and actually don't mind if I know some/lots/all about a movie before I see it. My husband, on the other hand, likes to see a movie "cold" without any advance information. So...we have the links over in the fanfiction section of Bettermost, with a note that discussion occurs here. If a person realizes this is a discussion, then that person should also realize there may be spoilers. I am not sure it is a "problem" we can solve, I think it is up to the individual to determine what to read here and how much.

That said, I think the question David raised over on LJ is a good one and one I would like to discuss.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #721 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:09 pm »
Where else are you guys going ?  Be specific?  Thanks

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #722 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:29 pm »
SPOILER!

OK,  I'll repost my question from "Live Journal" here then.  :)

My oh my! That might have been a mistake for Ennis to let Dupree know that Ellery is the bottom/submissive in the bedroom. As a coworker and lower ranking officer it could diminish some respect on Duprees part. Ennis must sure like Dupree to tell him stuff like that.

As for Jim, I doubt he'll go to the Sheriffs office will he?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #723 on: July 05, 2006, 03:22:25 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/66009.html  "Chapter 59:  Troubles"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

« Reply #724 on: July 05, 2006, 03:22:51 pm »
Where else are you guys going ?  Be specific?  Thanks

LJ= Live Journal.   That is where we are reading the current chapters.  You can post comments on the bottom of each page.    But now that we have agreed to put the word "SPOILER" on top of any posts relating to the most current chapter, we can share our thoughts here.  

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #725 on: July 05, 2006, 03:31:00 pm »
SPOILER!

OK,  I'll repost my question from "Live Journal" here then.  :)

My oh my! That might have been a mistake for Ennis to let Dupree know that Ellery is the bottom/submissive in the bedroom. As a coworker and lower ranking officer it could diminish some respect on Duprees part. Ennis must sure like Dupree to tell him stuff like that.

As for Jim, I doubt he'll go to the Sheriffs office will he?

As for the second question, you'll have to wait to find out.

As for the first question, I think Ennis considered it rather public knowledge (particularly at the Red Stallion) that Gene had been Bill's lover, and Gene is a rather obvious femme submissive.  So he might not have thought he was giving anything away.  And he might not have considered the sexual politics aspect either.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #726 on: July 05, 2006, 03:39:26 pm »
Thanks all for sharing.  my work computer blocks LJ.  So I have to go home to read the posted chapters.  Now as far as the spoiler that David shared.  OOOOh.  Now I know what to look for and have an opinion to go off of, or as it was noted, it was a spoiler. 

Again,  Thanks

Offline David

« Reply #727 on: July 05, 2006, 03:46:48 pm »
SPOILER
As for the second question, you'll have to wait to find out.

As for the first question, I think Ennis considered it rather public knowledge (particularly at the Red Stallion) that Gene had been Bill's lover, and Gene is a rather obvious femme submissive.  So he might not have thought he was giving anything away.  And he might not have considered the sexual politics aspect either.

Public knowledge perhaps.   But it still surprises me that Ennis didn't turn red faced and angry at the question.  I sure as hell don't discuss such things with my friends.   

I'd have figured Ennis to say something like, "Dupree, first of all its none of yer business. Secondly, there are all kinds of gay guys.  Some masculine and some feminine.  The top/bottom rolls are obvious in some, but not in others.  So drink your beer boy.  Your curiousity is appreciated but you make me worried that I'll find you in a lip lock with Gene Autry doing some research!"   

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #728 on: July 05, 2006, 03:52:44 pm »
SPOILER
Public knowledge perhaps.   But it still surprises me that Ennis didn't turn red faced and angry at the question.  I sure as hell don't discuss such things with my friends.   

I'd have figured Ennis to say something like, "Dupree, first of all its none of yer business. Secondly, there are all kinds of gay guys.  Some masculine and some feminine.  The top/bottom roles are obvious in some, but not in others.  So drink your beer boy.  Your curiousity is appreciated but you make me worried that I'll find you in a lip lock with Gene Autry doing some research!"   

I agree, David, especially since Ennis turns red-faced, and usually angry, at the slightest little mention of anything having to do with his relationship with Ellery, much less his sex life.

On the other hand, maybe he has a need to really talk about some of this stuff and the only person he has to talk with is Ellery. He knows Ellery trusts and likes Dupree and Ennis likes Dupree so the trust is there too? Still, Ennis is soooo private....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #729 on: July 05, 2006, 03:58:24 pm »

SPOILER!

My oh my! That might have been a mistake for Ennis to let Dupree know that Ellery is the bottom/submissive in the bedroom.

OH MY is RIGHT!.  I see I need to go read, IMMEDIATELY!   ;D