Author Topic: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar  (Read 19013 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 12:56:34 pm »
Years ago, I went out to dinner with three other people, two identical twin brothers and their sister. One twin was straight and the other was gay. The gay twin had not come out to his family, but everyone in the family figured he was gay. They were pretty dysfunctional and no one ever talked about it.

So the waiter comes to the table and almost immediately starts openly flirting with the gay twin. The flirting continued throughout dinner, and was so extreme that we all remarked on it. The twin got very uncomfortable because he was being so obviously being singled out (from his identical twin, yet!), and didn't want his siblings to guess why, though everybody at the table knew.

That was the most amazing demonstration of gaydar I've seen.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 01:03:47 pm »
OMG Katherine, what a great story!

Sounds like that waiter would be a good Rent-A-Gaydar too!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:37 pm »
I don't believe gaydar is an urban myth at all.

Jack and Randall KNEW, it was completely obvious.

I know many many guys who can look around a room and say, gay, gay, gay, straight, straight, straight, closeted, gay, straight...etc.

They are almost universally correct. Me, I can pick up on the vibe. Sometimes it takes speaking with someone a bit--there is a cowboy with manure on his boots out here [lol], the real deal. Nobody would ever think was gay unless he told you, yet I picked it up the second we said hello  in the  Wyoming pasture where  he was feeding cattle. It's a 'vibe'.

Perhaps Scott is right--the sex drive has us pick up potential mates. It's quite possible, which would explain gaydar logically. We pick up on the 'mating ability' roflmao.

I'm wondering if that might be it because I'm bi and have  had this talent where I could tell instantly if a woman was menstruating. I never looked for or developed such a talent it was and is simply THERE. I had a friend who could do the same thing, and yes, we sometimes DID ask if we knew the girl would not get offended. We were never wrong. By the way, he was completely straight and the most successfull 'stud' I have ever known lol.

The guy I fell in love with, the first time we set eyes on each other it was a mutual HOLLLY SHEEEIIT!!! moment if there ever was one. I knew there was something there even though nobody else did. He knew there was something in me. neither of us thought the other gay. After shaking hands--there was literally a static charge,   a visible spark! -- I knew he wasn't gay at all but wondered if he was bi or might possibly be deeply closeted. He wondered the same. He turned around, not a word, and I KNEW he was bi. Vice-versa held true as well.

We just knew.

That potential mate idea of Scott's may well be it. Any thoughts?
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 12:10:20 pm »
Could be something to do with pheromones given off?  Some people can more consciously translate detection of them into what they mean?  I've never heard of gay/straight/bi people giving off different pheromones though, only different genders.   :-\

Btw, fascinating to hear views & experiences even if we can't work it out!
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 01:01:26 pm »
Could be something to do with pheromones given off?  Some people can more consciously translate detection of them into what they mean?  I've never heard of gay/straight/bi people giving off different pheromones though, only different genders.   :-\

I think that makes a lot of sense. Body chemistry is complicated. If pheromones do indicate sexual orientation, researchers probably just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 05:53:02 pm »
Am I missing something? It's that little sparkle of sexual attraction that's in the eyes. Does there need to be more?? I think anybody sitting on a log in between Jack and Ennis observing the scene would have said, yup, they're gay, after two microseconds!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 06:05:30 pm »
But Lee, I've seen sparkle in lots of guys' eyes, along with wonderful smiles and warm, welcoming natures, and have learned that the fellow that I thought just might be flirting with me (or perhaps complicitly acknowledging that 'family' connection) was a full-throttle straight who had never and almost certainly would never imagine themselves intimate with another male. Now, most of these fellows were also not homophobic (at least not in a virulent way), but I have learned that I have tendency to misinterpret men's friendliness as a sign of something that it's not. (You can see the dilemma I face in navigating the sometimes perilous waters of male-to-male interaction).

Jack might actually have been one of those blessed with excellent gaydar. This might account for his willingness to risk his quite bold move on Ennis in the first tent scene, as well as, perhaps, his relative comfort in approaching Jimbo (he might have sensed something in Jimbo of which that rodeo clown might not even have been aware himself).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 06:28:17 pm »
Hell, that little sparkle of sexual attraction is hard enough to interpret correctly even if you've got the orientation right. How many times have I misread that!  :laugh:

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:42 am »
Ditto the above.  I have a colleague I can't look in the eyes cos I'm not sure if they are showing that sparkle or just a general sparkle.

There could be more to this gaydar than meets the eye, literally! ;D
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2007, 06:55:56 am »
I really dunno, but it does exist. That cowpoke i mentioned a few weeks ago is a prime example, there is nothing gay about him at all. My wife was astonished when she found out, but gay he is.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"