Author Topic: thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen . . .  (Read 6333 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen . . .
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:21:32 pm »
From today's San Francisco Chronicle -

The article is about a year of strides in the gay community, but there are two references to BBM:

This weekend's pride celebration in San Francisco caps a monumental year in the history of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, with unprecedented advances on same-sex marriage and a constant presence in popular culture, thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen.

and

For months, the film "Brokeback Mountain" captivated the nation and later won three Academy Awards.

The full article is at:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/24/BAGCQJJFB017.DTL&hw=brokeback&sn=001&sc=1000

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:26:22 pm »
I thought it won four--best director, best soundtrack, ...what were the others? I think I have a mental block about the Oscars!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:45:55 pm »
it was three - best director, best screenplay (from another medium) and best original score

But why does it still matter?
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:00:41 pm »
it was three - best director, best screenplay (from another medium) and best original score

But why does it still matter?

To the media or to the rest of us?  I think I know what you mean - it annoys me that the media still make any reference at all to how many Oscars it did or didn't win.  If they had to mention awards at all, I'd much rather they say "the film, which received an unprecedented number of industry awards" than "..., which won three Oscars."

If you mean the rest of us, it doesn't matter to me anymore.  But then, the Academy doesn't matter to me anymore, either.  I guess I should thank them - that's three-four hours on at least one Sunday night a year I won't be wasting again.

(The important thing is I'm not bitter.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 08:43:11 pm »
I guess I should thank them - that's three-four hours on at least one Sunday night a year I won't be wasting again.

Me neither.

But I will need support-group help next year to get through the night and stick to my boycott. I used to be one of those shallow, celebrity-culture-warped "note the date weeks in advance, look all forward to it, make no other plans that night, buy a bottle of champagne" kind of Oscar watchers. Not that I put much store on who won (frankly, by the following year I would have forgotten the BP winner -- this time, of course, I won't). But I always loved watching. Now it's ruined.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 03:53:19 am »
(The important thing is I'm not bitter.)

:-*

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 04:24:27 am »
But I always loved watching. Now it's ruined.

You speak for me. I watched the thing in Europe (ie all through the night) with a fellow Brokeaholic, and we were quite devastated. Having to see Ang, Diana, Larry, Heath, Jake and Michelle (And Annie) sit there and receive that last dreadful slap in the face was as horrible a TV experience as I can remember.

I'll never care for the Oscars again - they've lost all credibility in my eyes. It pains me that my BBM DVD and the paper ads that I see these days (because the DVD is being released here now) make mention of the 3 Oscars.  Not rational, I know - but I'd rather they'd rise above mentioning them - they're certainly no badge of quality to me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:28:14 am by Mikaela »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 09:56:32 am »
You speak for me. I watched the thing in Europe (ie all through the night) with a fellow Brokeaholic, and we were quite devastated. Having to see Ang, Diana, Larry, Heath, Jake and Michelle (And Annie) sit there and receive that last dreadful slap in the face was as horrible a TV experience as I can remember.

I'll never care for the Oscars again - they've lost all credibility in my eyes. It pains me that my BBM DVD and the paper ads that I see these days (because the DVD is being released here now) make mention of the 3 Oscars.  Not rational, I know - but I'd rather they'd rise above mentioning them - they're certainly no badge of quality to me.

And you speak for me, Mikaela.  Yes, that was as horribe a TV experience as I can remember, too.  I remember watching all of them through the beginning parts of it and seeing something in their eyes - I think they knew.  It tore me up, and I knew right then it wasn't going to win.  Yet I kept watching hoping somehow I was wrong.  Christ.  It was like a death march.

Call me for support if you need it, Katherine.  I used to be a champagne bottle watcher, too.  For the last 20 years, easily, Oscar Day was a bigger day for me than my birthday and 10 Super Bowl Sundays put together.  Not anymore.  Next year, I'll just be swallowing me a big, fat bitter pill and watching, if anything at all, Brokeback Mountain.  Better yet, I think I'll go out for a nice late dinner in the restaurant of my choice (that doesn't have any TVs), drink too much wine, and stumble to bed happy.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 02:16:44 pm »
How bout this. Let's all of us who are here now, plus all of those who may come here in the future, make a vow.

No matter what happens between now and next March, even if a few of us (not many, I hope!) have dwindled or faded or become less than daily visitors here ... on Oscar night 2007, at some point, we will all get our own bottles of champagne (or refreshments of our choice), check in here, and provide each other moral support.

The ratings for the Oscars broadcast have been plummeting so much each year anyway that it would hardly be noticable, but I would love for the show to see a noticeable EXTRA dip in viewers next year -- and for the Academy members to know exactly why that is.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 03:18:49 pm »
The ratings for the Oscars broadcast have been plummeting so much each year anyway that it would hardly be noticable, but I would love for the show to see a noticeable EXTRA dip in viewers next year -- and for the Academy members to know exactly why that is.

Oh, you and me both, sister.  I was so hoppin' mad in the early days after Black Sunday that I swore I would sign up to be a Nielsen family just so's I could tune every TV in the house into *something else* that night.

I'm in on checking in here, too, by the way.  And I don't think our numbers will have dwindled and our interest in the movie will have waned by then, either.
No more beans!