Author Topic: TOTW 08/09: What would you say to Jack?  (Read 18493 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 08/09: What would you say to Jack?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:58:24 pm »
But then, another part of my brain says that it would have been impossible either way. I don´t know. I guess the conflict in my thinking is that "open space" between what I wish to happen and what I think is possible.

Hey Bud!  I think this is a really interesting point to think about.  I think you're right that what we, as Brokies, wish would have/ could have happened might be different from what was possible within the narrative universe of BBM.  Sometimes I think what I wish could have happened really does flavor my interpretations a lot.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:29:46 am »

Being a responsible adult, is what you have to do, in order to take care of those you love, and those
who love and care about you.  That includes everyone, from your mom to your wife and son, to Ennis.
You have to look at the whole picture.  You can never be responsible as long as you are leaving any of these
people out of the picture.
         You should be honest, in order to teach your son to be honest.  You can not make Ennis do what is right
except by leading.  He is too afraid to do it any other way.  You have to be honest and fair to your wife.  She should
have had the ability to seek and find a new husband.  She was a good enough woman to have had a wonderful
man that would have loved and cared for her the way she deserved.  You could never be happy much less, even
partially satisfied, with anyone like a Mexican Whore, (lack of understanding and connection)  plus poor Randall,
he didnt deserve to be treated by you, the way Ennis treated you.   You should have taken stock in what you
were really getting from Ennis.  Given him an ultimatum, and see if that might have woken him up to his reality.

Beautiful mind

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:29:04 am »
Sometimes I think what I wish could have happened really does flavor my interpretations a lot.

Hi Amanda! Yes, the same goes for me. But I often think about what Annie Proulx has said as well - that Brokeback ultimately is a story about a homophobic society. With that in mind, I can't imagine a happy ending because it would have changed the essence of the story. Because of that I also find it very hard to offer Jack advice on what to do, because for the story to maintain its essence, its message, he has to possess the qualities he has. He has to commit the errors that he does. If he would suddenly have left his wife and moved to Wyoming (as I often wish he had), the story would change too much and I doubt it would have had the same emotional impact on us. It somehow comes back to the fact that even though I wish they could have found a way to live together, I also know, that if they had, it would have been a completely different movie.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05:53 pm »
I would say to Jack, Ennis loves you. That last night they spend together, Ennis wraps his arm round Jack even in sleep. To me that is love, he protects him and holds him close even while he is fast asleep and after 20 years have passed. He may not express it verbally, but that single scene demonstrates it, he is bound to Jack, deep in his subconscious. So there are no wild protestations of love, but I would trade all the words for that one single gesture which speaks volumes.
We cannot all throw off all the shackles that bind us so tight, convention, fear and so many more, but to hold to us that is dear while we are not even aware of it is the strongest indication of where our hearts lie.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »
I don't know, I think that Jack on some level did realize Ennis loved him, that's what made him stay with Ennis for so long, but I just don't think it was enough food for Jack's soul over the span of 20 years - so few gestures (although when Ennis made them, they were quite profound), Ennis' inertia and his keeping Jack at arm's length generally.  I would need more than a gesture while I'm asleep and unaware of it, and I think Jack needed more, some words, a stand taken, something.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:31:17 am »
Hm... It's difficult with Jack because he is so heartbroken and in despair. I don't know, i would tell him "it's gonna be alright, Jack. someday all will be fine, someday you will be with Ennis... and Ennis' heart is forever yours."
 :'(

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
Like what I said on the other thread,  I don't think there is much that one person could say to Jack, but for different reasons.

Jack was able to accept who he was, but he had fallen for a guy who couldn't and would string him along for years.  The optimist would tell him to never give up hope.  The pessimist would tell him to move on.  He attempted to do that with Randall, but in the end, the heart wants what  it wants, and his wanted Ennis.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!