Author Topic: Do You Believe In Ghosts?  (Read 41898 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Do You Believe In Ghosts?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 03:10:47 am »
No. This may surprise 247 of you...

But I think it's a GREAT idea, and if there's a God of some kind, I wish he would bring them on.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 12:59:17 am »
My parents house was haunted.  You certainly would not think it to look at it.  A single story ranch in sunny southern California in 1969, but it was.  My Mother was the first to experience anything.  She had experiences off and on all her life, the first she remembered was at 6 years old.

Vicky... WOW! That was a REALLY interesting story! I read it three times already because I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for posting it for us to read.

Your story actually brought to mind something that happened at the house I was living in down in Evansville, Indiana. I rented a house that was built in 1902 (certainly this is not an old house in East Coast or European standards) and it was located two streets down from Oakhill Cemetery (one of the largest cemeteries in Southern Indiana). Just as I was moving in, I asked my Goddaughter and her friend if they would come over and help me unpack some of my things. The girls came over and later that evening Kathy went upstairs to unpack some things up there. Suddenly she came running down the stairs and told me she had just seen someone in the master bedroom. I went upstairs and looked, and of course there wasn't anyone there. I asked Kathy what the person looked like and she said it looked like a teenage guy with long blonde hair. She said he was wearing 1970's clothing and he was carrying a knife. She also said it looked like he was weeping.

Soon I forgot about what Kathy saw. I always felt very depressed downstairs. It had a sad feeling. But upstairs I felt very safe... almost protected.

There were a few strange things that happened such as the garbage can lid jumping off the can (and when I say jump, it literally would jump 2 or 3 feet in the air and then land on the kitchen floor. I never snapped the lid on tight either, so it wasn't like the lid popped loose). A couple of times when I would leave the house and return home, the cushions on my couch would all be piled on the floor. Sometimes I would hear someone throwing rocks or stones down in the basement (It was a dry basement with a cement floor and it  had an old coal chute on one side).

A few months after I moved in, my sister came down to visit me. She brought my niece Christy with her and Christy's boyfriend Glenn. Susan decided that they would all stay at my house that night. Susan went upstairs to use the bathroom and then change into her pajamas. We were going to watch a movie  or two and then go to bed. Susan suddenly came running down the stairs. I asked Susan what happened. She said she went into the bathroom (Susan doesn't normally close the bathroom door when she uses the bathroom as long as she knows everyone) and while she was in there she saw someone run from the guest bedroom across the hall and into the master bedroom. I asked her what the person looked like. She said it was a teenage guy with long blonde hair dressed in 1970's clothes and carrying a knife in his hand.

The scary thing  is, Susan and Kathy have NEVER met each other before. This was Susan's first visit to Evansville (she lived in Indianapolis) and Kathy had lived in Evansville her whole life. They had never met each other, nor spoke to each other on the phone. Yet, they both saw the same guy upstairs.

Susan, Christy and Glenn all packed up their things and checked into the Holiday Inn that night. :o
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 01:12:26 am »
No. This may surprise 247 of you...

But I think it's a GREAT idea, and if there's a God of some kind, I wish he would bring them on.

Julie, I am not quite sure I understand your post. It sounds like you probably don't believe in ghosts but you are keeping an open mind. That's cool!

If you ever want to change your mind, just camp out at my house some night! Chances are, you will probably see or hear something. Several skeptics (including my boyfriend) have had a sudden change of heart after sleeping at my house!

Like I  said, I don't think they are harmful or mean, they are just there and sometimes I think they want to make sure I know it! :)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 07:07:58 am »
VERY interesting stories all! I had goose-bumps more than once!  :o

A boy with a knife in my house would freak me out!

Like I  said, I don't think they are harmful or mean, they are just there and sometimes I think they want to make sure I know it! :)
David, have you ever thought of getting 'in contact' with them? Maybe they want to tell you something. Maybe they need help with something. Isn't there sometimes the issue of 'closure'. They keep appearing until someone helps them 'leave for good'. Er.. or maybe I watch too much television....

I don't belive in ghosts, I answered. Didn't I...

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline opinionista

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 07:51:16 am »
If you have had an encounter, or know someone who has, please tell us about it!

I have seen orbs in my house before. Normally I just see them out of the corner of my eye, although a few times I was looking directly at them. Also, my dog Cody has been barking at the foot  of my bed during the night for no apparent reason. Many people tell me that  animals can often see things that humans cannot. My house was built in 1922, and after I bought it, my neighbors told me a few stories about it.

Whatever it is, I think it is friendly. Also, I often see shapes out of the corner of my eye. When I turn to look at it though, it is gone. :o

I don't really believe in ghosts probably because my grandpa told too many stories about it when I was a kid. Some seemed real others were pure BS. But oh well, a lot of hispanics believe in ghosts or spirits to the extent that sometimes there are treated as living things. People talk to them and all. They even have solutions to scare them away. According to my grandpa, ghosts or spirits don't like flowers or inscense smoke, so if a ghost is bothering you, get some natural flowers put them in your home or wherever the ghost is, light an inscence stick, then clap once, loud, and tell the ghost, in a nice way, that he doesn't belong there. Tell them you bless them, but that they must find the light and follow it, or something like that. Anyway, my grandpa used to say there was no reason to fear a ghost, they can't do anything to you. Those who are alive are the ones who can actually hurt you. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 08:30:14 am »
I absolutely believe in ghosts.  I just think they are souls without bodies stuck in a place and time that doesn't belong to them anymore.  Nothing too sinister so much as really sad.  Like Nipith's story about his niece...I think there's a whole invisible world that exists without the permission of our beliefs.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 12:25:29 pm »
I second Celeste's sentiment there!

I have had bizarre 'dreams' at times too when I see someone, a complete stranger I can't recognise or someone I feel like I have known forever.  I used to get a dream of a very tall woman sitting beside my bed sometimes, and in this 'dream', I felt like she was my grandmother (who passed away back in '81) - although my granny was a petite woman, not tall at all.  This woman had an air of peace about her and never freaked me out.  Stranger things have happened ...

Yap, I believe in ghosts ... :)

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 05:04:45 pm »
Fascinating topic!  Thanks for starting it David.  All the stories are so interesting.  Thanks everyone for sharing  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 05:11:27 pm »
I have had bizarre 'dreams' at times too when I see someone, a complete stranger I can't recognise or someone I feel like I have known forever.  I used to get a dream of a very tall woman sitting beside my bed sometimes, and in this 'dream', I felt like she was my grandmother (who passed away back in '81) - although my granny was a petite woman, not tall at all.  This woman had an air of peace about her and never freaked me out.  Stranger things have happened ...

I've had these, too, but in my case they seem so real that I've gone running screaming out of the room.  There's something called "night terrors" that they (the ubiquitous "they") say affects about 2 percent of the population.  It has to do with something in your brain not switching properly between pre-REM and REM sleep, so that you're basically launched right into REM sleep while still having the feeling that you're awake.  In mine, there is someone in the room with me.  Usually a male I don't recognize, and/or his face isn't clear.  They're never threatening me - just standing there - but I have the very strong feeling they shouldn't be there and I have to get out.  Fortunately I haven't had one of these in about four years, now, because they scare the bejesus out of me and everyone else in the house when I do.

I have one friend who's into the paranormal a little bit who thinks these are actually ghosts I'm seeing and my brain just doesn't know how to process it at the time.  I guess that's possible.  I'm all for anything being possible.  But I don't know how probable it is.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 02:30:20 am »
Thanks for all these interesting replies! I love opening this thread up from time to time and reading all the stories and encounters people are posting in here. :D

I've had these, too, but in my case they seem so real that I've gone running screaming out of the room.  There's something called "night terrors" that they (the ubiquitous "they") say affects about 2 percent of the population.  It has to do with something in your brain not switching properly between pre-REM and REM sleep, so that you're basically launched right into REM sleep while still having the feeling that you're awake.  In mine, there is someone in the room with me.  Usually a male I don't recognize, and/or his face isn't clear.  They're never threatening me - just standing there - but I have the very strong feeling they shouldn't be there and I have to get out.  Fortunately I haven't had one of these in about four years, now, because they scare the bejesus out of me and everyone else in the house when I do.

I have one friend who's into the paranormal a little bit who thinks these are actually ghosts I'm seeing and my brain just doesn't know how to process it at the time.  I guess that's possible.  I'm all for anything being possible.  But I don't know how probable it is.

I think it is very possible! I have heard many doctors and psychologists talk about this and while many disagree with each other about what sleep is and what happens while we sleep, just about everyone will agree that we know very little about it and it remains a mystery. I have heard some say that it is during sleep when we actually have the ability to communicate with the Dead. Often times I have awakened in the morning and the first thing I will think of is my mother,  or a long deceased friend or relative of mine. And I will feel good about the person... like I just had a nice long visit with them. Unfortunately this feeling quickly disappears as I wake up and go about my daily activities. I don't think I ever had "night terrors", but I have had some dreams that were so realistic, I woke up wondering if they really did happen. Some psychologists and parapsychologists believe that we actually leave our bodies during sleep. I have seen photographs taken of a sleeping person. Normally they are a series of photographs, and in them they have photographed what appear to be orbs leaving the sleeping person's body and later on returning again. So who knows? :)

I second Celeste's sentiment there!

Yap, I believe in ghosts ... :)

What you just said reaffirms what I  have heard some psychologists say on various documentaries  and television shows; that it is very possible we use our sleep time (at least in part) to talk with the Dead... departed friends, relatives and loved ones. :)

I absolutely believe in ghosts.  I just think they are souls without bodies stuck in a place and time that doesn't belong to them anymore.  Nothing too sinister so much as really sad.  Like Nipith's story about his niece...I think there's a whole invisible world that exists without the permission of our beliefs.

Yes. I often stop and think about "what I was" 45 years ago (I am 43 now).45 years ago, I was nothing. I didn't exist. But I am here now. It only makes sense that if I am here, I should continue to exist after death. I think the "impossible" has already been accomplished. I was brought into existence from nothing. Now I exist. So, why shouldn't my existence continue after I die? I believe ghosts are people who, for whatever reason,  simply have not crossed over yet. Hopefully they will at some point.

I don't really believe in ghosts probably because my grandpa told too many stories about it when I was a kid. Some seemed real others were pure BS. But oh well, a lot of hispanics believe in ghosts or spirits to the extent that sometimes there are treated as living things. People talk to them and all. They even have solutions to scare them away. According to my grandpa, ghosts or spirits don't like flowers or inscense smoke, so if a ghost is bothering you, get some natural flowers put them in your home or wherever the ghost is, light an inscence stick, then clap once, loud, and tell the ghost, in a nice way, that he doesn't belong there. Tell them you bless them, but that they must find the light and follow it, or something like that. Anyway, my grandpa used to say there was no reason to fear a ghost, they can't do anything to you. Those who are alive are the ones who can actually hurt you. 

I may  have to try this in my house and see what happens. Like I said, I don't think they are harmful, but I do believe they want me to notice them. Maybe they want me to help them. :)