Author Topic: Do You Believe In Ghosts?  (Read 41551 times)

vkm91941

Re: Do You Believe In Ghosts?
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2006, 01:34:25 am »
Actually I believe alot of what we preceive as supernatural is actually preternatural(\pree-tuhr-NACH-uhr-uhl; -NACH-ruhl\, adjective:Beyond or outside ordinary experience; inexplicable by ordinary means) and is just outside our knowlege and ability to understand at this time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:59:46 am by vkm91941 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2006, 03:07:15 am »
I still say what ever it was that attacked me that night was an evil spirit or a demon.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2006, 10:13:01 am »
I still say what ever it was that attacked me that night was an evil spirit or a demon.

It's entirely possible.  I voted that I'm open to the possibility because I think anything is possible, and who am I to say what isn't?  Science hasn't isolated a gene or determined the trigger(s), so who knows?

Scott, my most recent experiences sound eerily similar to your mother's.  I have the sensation of some malevolent entity being in my room with me, staring at me (sometimes I remember a face, and it's male, but non-descript, and sometimes it's just a shadow or a sense that someone or something is there that shouldn't be) and the overwhelming desire to move - to get out of there.  It takes literally falling out of bed or running into something to jar me awake.  That's what's so freaky about it - the thought that I could really hurt myself or worse because of one of these episodes.  The ones earlier in my life were predominantly sleep-paralysis - I was definitely consciously trying to move and felt powerless to do so - it felt like my eyelids were weighted and glued down, and if I...could...just...get...them...open...  And once I did, everything was OK, and I'd fall immediately back to sleep.  Occasionally, the sensation would keep recurring over and over to the point that I would have to turn the light on, get up, and walk around before going back to sleep just to make it stop.

Fun times...  Like you, Scott, I'm knocking on wood but it hasn't happened now in about 2 years.
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 04:39:52 pm »
sleep paralysis is actually quite common. when we sleep, normally what happens is the body sends out a chemical to paralyze the body, because when we dream, the brain actually sends out signal as if the body's awake. So when we dream about running, the brain actually thinks the body is running, and tells our leg muscles to move. The chemical keeps us from actually moving. With sleep walkers, this chemical is insufficient, and they actually get up and walk around as in their dreams. With night terror, we snap out of our dreams too suddenly, even though the paralyzing chemical is still at work, so our minds are awake but the body is still "asleep". So we feel that desperate struggle to move.

The times I've experience that, mine were just as scary but not in the supernatural way. I'd wake up feeling like I'm smothered under my pillow, and I have to struggle with my body just to move the pillow off me, or I'd die of suffocation.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2006, 11:01:31 am »
There is far too much experience in this area to doubt completely and say, "Case closed."; so when it come to supernatural anything, I keep a clear mind, ask questions, listen carefully, apply a sense of reason to what I've heard, stay open to possibilities, make no commitments.

Rayn

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2006, 10:01:54 pm »
There is far too much experience in this area to doubt completely and say, "Case closed."; so when it come to supernatural anything, I keep a clear mind, ask questions, listen carefully, apply a sense of reason to what I've heard, stay open to possibilities, make no commitments.

Rayn

Absolutely! I agree. And I think this is what the others were saying as well. Who really knows for sure.

What attacked me that night might have been a sleep terror. Whatever it was, it sure scared me. And if it wasn't supernatural, it might as well have been.

But I think it was supernatural.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2006, 05:38:29 pm »
It seems that all of my experiences with ghosts seem to be with family pets that have passed on.  One "sighting" that is actually rather constant is our family cat Pharroh - she lived to be 16 and she is always walking around my parents house.  It's not just glimpses of 3 seconds that we see of her either.  Shes usually sitting on the back of the couch or sitting in the bathroom sink where she loved to hang out. 

My other experience has to do with my dog Chase who was a dalmatian and had to be put down because he was slightly on the "crazy" side (dang inbreeding - we didn't know :()  - he actually was on medication for his craziness too.  That's a different story *lol*  Anyways he always used to jump at the outside of my bedroom window when it would rain outside and I'd let him in and sit with him either til he went to sleep or it stopped raining and he could go back out and enjoy the summer.  He still jumps at my window whenever it rains.  I hear him when I'm visiting home and my parents hear it at other times - and here's the kicker - he leaves muddy paw prints underneath my window when he jumps.  My parents now have a Sheltie that could NOT jump that high nor make those big paw prints and the yard is fenced in so no other dogs can get in.  They are his paw prints - and he's trying to get me to bring him in.  He was always my baby :(  Now I miss him.  *sighs*

These are the only experiences I've had to this point in my life.  At least these are reassuring sightings - I don't know how'd I'd do with ghosts throwing plates around the kitchen!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2006, 08:37:08 pm »
Amber, I found your post very poignant. I especially loved what you said about your dog.

I think it is wonderful your animals are still with all of you.  :)

And I certainly believe it too. I posted an animal spirit story earlier in this thread. It is on page one or two I think.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2006, 09:02:01 pm »
I definitely believe in ghosts.  I have heard them, often see things out of the corner of my eye, but have never seen a ghost.  I don't know why this is - I'm very receptive.  My house is 110 years old, and from what I hear, several people have died here.  My mother has seen spirits walking around the house draped in blankets, my sis says she saw a shadowy man in a cape and a top hat walking down the main staircase, and saw the spirit of our favorite cat lying under the dining room table.

I hear voices all the time, usually calling, sometimes screaming my name.  I notice coins lying all  over my bedroom floor, and I can't account for their presence!  I once heard that spirits leave coins for the living.  Quarters litter my bedroom floor, my sis gets dimes and pennies.  My sister says our grandma's spirit is leaving me quarters because I'm so high maintenance :)

My maternal grandmother had us afraid to got to sleep after she told her true ghost stories.  Yes, I believe in ghosts!

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2006, 09:30:41 pm »
Hi Littlewing!  ;D  Nice to see you!

I love reading about your haunted house and the coins.  I've been writing a long PM and was afraid I'd miss you.

~Larz