Author Topic: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco  (Read 39344 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/movies/16milk.html

After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco

Left, Harvey Milk in 1978; right, Sean Penn in “Milk.”

By MICHAEL CIEPLY
Published: October 15, 2008

LOS ANGELES — One morning in 1978 a disgruntled San Francisco politician, Dan White, climbed through a City Hall window, assassinated Mayor George Moscone, then shot and killed an openly gay adversary on the city’s Board of Supervisors named Harvey Milk.

It was a fractured moment in a troubled time and place. Memories of it soon will be roiling the Oscar race.

On Oct. 28 Focus Features expects to introduce its film “Milk,” directed by Gus Van Sant with Sean Penn in the title role, at a gala in San Francisco hosted by local luminaries, at least one of whom — Senator Dianne Feinstein, then the president of the board of supervisors — was just steps away when Mr. Milk and Mayor Moscone were shot. The movie will begin playing in some theaters on Nov. 26, just ahead of the 30th anniversary of the killings on Nov. 27, then gain wider release as the awards season gets under way.

Already the film is drawing attention as an early contender in the coming Oscar race. Following early screenings, for instance, Hollywood insiders and others have been startled by Mr. Penn’s picture-perfect rendering of Mr. Milk, a politician who was at once gawky, ambitious and unforgettable to those whose lives he touched. “Sean’s portrayal of Harvey is so beautifully right,” Cleve Jones, a Milk friend who is played in the film by Emile Hirsch, said in a phone interview.

Yet the movie presents no small challenge for Focus, the specialty division owned by NBC Universal that two years ago pushed its gay-theme Brokeback Mountain to the cusp of Oscar glory with eight nominations, only to see “Crash”  win best picture.

This time around, studio marketers are wrestling with an inherently political film at a time when audiences have been wary of them. Only last weekend the combined star power of Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe was not enough to save an issues-oriented thriller, “Body of Lies,”  which opened poorly for Warner Brothers.

Focus and Mr. Van Sant will have to connect millions of filmgoers with a world that could seem weirdly disconnected, even back then. Only nine days before the murders, for example, the Rev. Jim Jones, whose People’s Temple had become influential in San Francisco politics, had orchestrated the death of more than 900 followers and others at Jonestown in Guyana.

The publishing heiress Patricia Hearst, meanwhile, was tucked in a Bay Area prison, the consequence of her engaging in a bank robbery for the Symbionese Liberation Army, which had kidnapped her.

“You’re giving me an acid flashback to all the chatter before ‘Brokeback,’ ” said James Schamus, chief executive of Focus, responding to a question about the universal message in Mr. Milk’s struggles. Those could turn on matters as weighty as gay rights, or as slight as an ordinance requiring dog owners to clean up after their pets.

“Harvey said, ‘This is a quest for everybody’s rights,’ ” Mr. Schamus said. “That was his genius.”

If the ranch hands of “Brokeback” were subdued, nothing about Mr. Milk was. He loudly insisted that gay people should be out of the closet, at a time when public homosexuality was largely confined to San Francisco and a few like-minded enclaves.

Mr. Milk’s grandest political battle was his successful fight against a California initiative that would have banned gay teachers from the state’s public schools. His roughest was the backroom scrap in which he helped to block Mr. White’s reappointment to a supervisor’s post from which he had resigned two weeks earlier. Mayor Moscone was planning to discuss that decision publicly on the day of the murders.

(Upon Mr. Moscone’s death Ms. Feinstein, as president of the board of supervisors, became mayor, propelling her political rise. Mr. White would later use a “Twinkie defense,” in which his junk-food diet was cited as representative of his diminished capacity, to avoid conviction for first-degree murder; his conviction on the lesser counts of manslaughter sparked the so-called White Night riots in the city.)

According to the film’s producers and others, some of the political intricacies were whittled from Dustin Lance Black’s script. Though the People’s Temple had supported Mr. Milk, for instance, Mr. Jones was largely cut. “It would take so much time to explain to people who Jim Jones was,” said Dan Jinks, who with his business partner Bruce Cohen are among the movie’s producers.

What remained, according to Mr. Jinks, was the story of a “regular guy” — before politics, Mr. Milk was best known as co-owner of a camera store in the Castro district of San Francisco — who decided to make a difference.

The documentary “The Times of Harvey Milk,” directed by Rob Epstein, won the Oscar for best feature documentary in 1985. “Execution of Justice,”  shown on the Showtime cable network in 1999, was a drama based on the murders.

Mr. Van Sant’s film came together suddenly last year after he and other filmmakers, Bryan Singer and Oliver Stone among them, had struggled for two decades with various attempts to find a feature film in Mr. Milk’s life.

Mr. Black, himself a director, bypassed those earlier efforts, many of them based on Randy Shilts’s book “The Mayor of Castro Street,” and began researching an original script with the help of those who knew Mr. Milk. In early 2007 one of those friends, Mr. Jones, showed the script to Mr. Van Sant, whom he had known for years.

Mr. Van Sant, speaking by telephone, said he signed on partly because Mr. Black had managed to confine the story to the brief and heady period that preceded Mr. Milk’s death. “He made choices,” Mr. Van Sant said.

Mr. Penn joined up, as did Mr. Jinks and Mr. Cohen. They next connected with Groundswell Productions and its chief executive, Michael London, who in turn joined Focus in financing a film that cost a relatively modest $20 million or so to make.

Yet “Milk” acquired a kind of epic quality as much of San Francisco became involved. “It took on almost Tolstoyan proportions,” Mr. Schamus said of the movie’s familial sprawl.

A number of Mr. Milk’s aging associates are not only portrayed in the film, they also have bit parts. Danny Nicoletta, who worked in Mr. Milk’s camera shop, for instance, is played by Lucas Grabeel of “High School Musical”  and, in turn, plays Carl Carlson, an aide to Mr. Milk who was one of the last to see him alive. In addition Mr. Nicoletta advised Mr. Black on the script and worked as the film’s still photographer.

In one more twist this month’s premiere, a benefit for various gay and lesbian youth groups, will open with a screening at the Castro Theater, near the site of Mr. Milk’s old camera shop, and will end with dinner and dancing at City Hall, where he died.

The moral in all of it, Mr. Van Sant said, is ultimately political. “It’s an illustration of pretty extreme grass-roots politics,” he said of his film’s message, “that you can do it.”

But others are hoping that he has found the beating heart in Mr. Milk.

“He wasn’t Mother Teresa,” Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco supervisor who appears in the movie, said of Mr. Milk. “He just connected with people, one by one.”
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:00:01 pm by Lynne »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

Merci jmmgallagher,

More please.

LOVE YOU Harvey Milk !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Ellemeno

Thanks John.  I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Thanks, John.  I thought the Milk documentary was very compelling; I am very interested in seeing the new Milk film.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
I'm looking forward to this movie. No release date has been set yet for Belgium, looks like I'm going to have to be patient.

Thanks for posting the article John.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Artiste

I hope that it will become very important this movie about Milk !

• BetterMost Supporter!

I hope that it will become very important this movie about Milk !

I believe it will!

MILK                                                                             (2:29)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unu-9vM9VZw[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

The Last Words of Harvey Milk                                   (1:08)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_owSvbn00&feature=related[/youtube]

:(

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-28/my-date-with-sean-penn/1/

My Date With Sean Penn
by Howard Rosenman

Excerpts from my diary: How I ended up acting opposite Penn and (a nude) James Franco on the set of Gus Van Sant’s new movie, Milk.

I’ve been producing films and TV shows since the 1970s–Father of the Bride, Buffy the Vampire Slayer–but I’d never acted in a major motion picture until I received a call asking if I’d like a part in Gus Van Sant’s Harvey Milk biopic, Milk. The very last thing I thought I’d ever do was to become an actor. Here’s how it happened.

Francine Maisler, the famous and brilliant casting director (she cast Spiderman ) said to Gus, "We should get someone who looks like Howard Rosenman, who speaks like Howard Rosenman, and who has Howard Rosenman's vibe…to play David Goodstein.” Goodstein was a rich, gay New York Jew who moved to San Francisco in the early ‘70s and became a political kingmaker. He and Harvey Milk (played by Sean Penn) did not get along. My scenes would be with Sean.

Gus says to Francine: “Can he act?"

Francine calls me: "Have you ever acted before?"

"Yes," I answer. “I played Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady  at camp when I was 14. It was in Hebrew.” Francine hired me for the part. Gus, Francine, Dan Jinks, Bruce Cohen and Michael London called to tell me I was hired for the part.

Over the next three weeks my greatest and closest friends, Peter Spears and Susan Landau, spent hours running lines with me, endlessly giving me hints and intentions and motivations. I'm in business with Al Pacino now; we're developing Betsy and Napoleon about Napoleon's exile in St. Helena. The day I heard about the part in Milk I happened to have a meeting with Al at the brand new monumental Pharaohnic CAA office building. I was crazed and nervous and couldn’t process the fact that I was going to be acting with one of the great players in American cinema, Sean Penn. So I hesitantly said to Al, "When you played the part of Roy Cohn in Angels in America, did you study him and research him and try to imitate him?" He squinted and peered up at me with a cocked head, and in that low rumble and inimitable voice of his he answered, "Kid, they bought Howard Rosenman. Play Howard Rosenman."

When you’re a producer, you think you’re at the top of the heap. But you’re not. Once you are an actor, it's like you’re in their fraternity, and instead of all that egotistical stuff that’s caricaturized by the Bette Davis-Joan Crawford paradigm, great actors are EGOLESS. They want you to be at your best so they can get to the emotional truth of the characters. It’s as if you’re stripped naked, and everyone is so sensitive looking at everyone else's nakedness. You also become part of "a band of players, a troupe, a family.

James Franco, indeed, plays part of the scene nude. I (David Goodstein) have a grand and luxurious home with an indoor pool. James, who plays Harvey's boyfriend, jumps into the pool nude and then has an argument with me…nude. I dare say, it was extremely mind-blowing.

That first day on the set, I was dressed in a very expensive suit and monogrammed shirt and tie and vest that Danny Glicker, the wonderfully funny and talented costume designer, had built for me. Gus decided I should do a bit of "business,” so he gave me a pool skimmer. He then suggested I wear a bathing suit. I thought I was going to die. “I can’t say no…I have to be a pro and go with this…but oy vey...I’m not tan enough…and all that kugel…”

Gus saw the look in my eyes and whispered, “Don’t worry. You’ll be covered in a bathrobe.” Phew.

Danny put a beige towel-like robe on me and Gus didn't like it, so he called up Robin Williams, whose house was next door, and we got three robes from Robin’s closet. I eventually ended up wearing a baby-blue Hotel Bel Air robe with a beautiful white shawl collar. Danny then dressed me in a pair of brown leather Mexican sandals, a beautiful and very chunky gold and diamond watch, and two pinky rings…presto! I was David Goodstein in 1973.

With all this going on, Sean entered, wearing a long, curly brown wig and brown contact lenses, the spitting image of the Jewish hippie-ish Harvey Milk: sexy, handsome, and dangerous. He glanced at me and immediately discerned the terror in my eyes. Very quietly, practically soto voce, he leaned into me:

“You have nothing to worry about. I’ve only played gay once in my life and that was in Albert Innaurato’s The Transformation of Benno Blimpie and that was on the stage when I was really young. I’ve never played gay on screen. So here’s the deal: You have my back and I have your back and we’ll both get through this together.” His generosity was enormously inspiring and I totally relaxed. All my scenes were with the prodigiously talented Stephen Spinella (Tony Kushner wrote “Angels In America” specifically for him) and Stephen both calmed me and taught me so much.

Gus’s only “note” to me was to be more like Howard Rosenman: bombastic, arrogant, contemptuous, relaxed and in control. Every time I finished a take that he liked, Gus smiled at me or gave me a thumbs up or winked. He always acknowledged the work and I watched him do it with all the actors.

After they got the written takes, Gus said:

"OK guys, now rip it out and improvise and say anything you want." Of course it became very political, since Harvey had a revolutionary's point of view, and David Goodstein had the polar opposite. David always wanted to work through the system. We eventually started screaming at each other, red in the face, veins pulsating on our foreheads. James Franco entered the fray and it was fuckin’ wild. At the end of the day, Sean hugged me and said I was great and he never could've done it without me. James Franco, who kept calling me "cutie" in the role—contemptuously—came over to me and buried his head in my neck:

"Man, I gotta thank you. You were so sensitive to me. Nude scenes are so weird and you were so discrete. You made me feel so relaxed. I owe you so much." Wow! This kid is just gorgeous and so sweet and so very, very talented, really smart and perceptive...and totally straight.

This was the happiest and most gemütlich set I was ever on, and I’ve been on a lot of sets. I also noticed that there were no “star,” director, producer or crew chairs. It was a very democratic set and there was no attempt at hierarchy.

To many of my friends, I’ve contrasted the producer's life with the actor's life. A producer constantly gets told, “No, no, no, no, no,” and an actor gets told :”Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes” (once he gets the part, of course). A close friend said to me, “It’s like one day you’re an ordinary guy, and the next you get to be an astronaut being shot to the Moon!”

The week after I got home I got a call from Ellen Chenowith’s office. She was casting the Coen Brothers' A Serious Man. Brian Swardstrom, my closest friend and now my agent, represents Frances McDormand, and he told Frances that I was great in Milk. Frances said, "Well he's gotta try out for Joel's new movie." Now I'm auditioning for two roles, the Rabbi and a lawyer.

Then Charles Shyer caught wind of my acting. He wrote and directed Father of the Bride. He just wrote Eloise in Paris with his daughter Hallie. He's going to direct it in the fall; Uma Thurman is starring. "Hey babe," purred Charles over the phone. "I hear you just worked with Sean and Gus. I've written a part in Eloise that's right up your alley, an over-the-top French designer. I need a really thick French accent. Nathan Lane wants to play it but I think you're a more original choice. Would you like to read for it?"

So now I've been invited to join the Screen Actors Guild and I'll be eligible for the better benefits (Plan B) of the SAG Health Plan. What a relief; it's much less expensive than my Blue Cross plan!

Maybe when I'm old and grey, I'll finally have a way to make a living.

"Camping Out"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
It's been interesting to see the audience response to the trailer for MILK. It's been shown before BURN AFTER READING, THE DUTCHESS and W. So the crowds are a bit more sophisticated then typical the typical moviegoer.

I've actually heard some hostile comments from ppl in the audience ("Oh, I certainly won't be seeing this!").  Some ppl have been more receptive.

It's a very impressive trailer though I don't know how it's going to do at the cinema.  I think a film needs to gross USD 30,000,000 for it to have a shot at being nominated for best picture.

By the way, in the trailer, there is the unveiling of a giant rainbow flag. I thought the rainbow flag wasn't around back then. It came about in the 1980's. Am I wrong?