Author Topic: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco  (Read 39409 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:29 am »

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/denby-scott-agree-subway-pick-scene-milk-hot-and-james-franco-angelic-hipster

Denby, Scott Agree: Subway Pick-Up Scene in Milk is Hot;
James Franco is Angelic

Critical Darlings: Franco and Penn                             courtesy Focus Features

by John Koblin
November 28, 2008

Critics are falling all over themselves to laud Gus Van Sant's Milk. Some seem to love one scene in particular:

A.O. Scott, The New York Times:

One of the first scenes in 'Milk' is of a pick-up in a New York subway station. It’s 1970, and an insurance executive in a suit and tie catches sight of a beautiful, scruffy younger man — the phrase 'angel-headed hipster' comes to mind — and banters with him on the stairs. The mood of the moment, which ends up with the two men eating birthday cake in bed, is casual and sexy, and its flirtatious playfulness is somewhat disarming, given our expectation of a serious and important movie grounded in historical events.

David Denby, The New Yorker:

At the beginning of Gus Van Sant’s vibrantly entertaining bio-pic 'Milk,' Harvey Milk (Sean Penn) picks up a much younger man in the New York subway. Physically, the two are far from equals: Penn’s Milk is forty and short, with a big schnoz and matted wedges of hair heading uneasily in different directions; Scott Smith, played by James Franco, is tall and slender, with an angel face and a curly brown mane. But Smith is charmed by Milk’s self-deprecating humor, and turned on by his ravenous need. Sighing, Smith gives in and goes home with him. It is the first of Harvey Milk’s triumphs that we see.

[...]

The gay leader becomes a superb pol with a human-rights agenda, and the movie offers a mildly subversive suggestion: attracting the electorate is not all that different from picking up a young man in the subway. Charm, persistence, and articulate passion are required for both.

Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post:

Thanks in large part to Penn's sensitive portrayal, when Harvey picks up a young stranger in a Manhattan subway station as 'Milk' opens, the encounter doesn't feel predatory. Instead, it bespeaks the isolation and furtive search for intimacy engendered by years of stigma and persecution. Scott Smith (James Franco) goes home with Harvey and later moves with him to San Francisco's Castro neighborhood...
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2008, 07:42:45 am »

http://cbs5.com/local/harvey.milk.bill.2.829771.html

Schwarzenegger Vetoes Harvey Milk Day Bill

Sep 30, 2008 11:50 pm US/Pacific

SACRAMENTO (AP)
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed a bill that would have made the birthday of gay San Francisco political icon Harvey Milk a statewide "day of significance."

In his veto message issued Tuesday, the governor said that while he respected the measure's intent, he thinks Milk's "contributions should continue to be recognized at the local level by those who were most impacted by his contributions."

Conservative groups had lobbied Schwarzenegger not to sign the legislation, sponsored by Assemblyman Mark Leno of San Francisco.

Milk became the nation's first openly gay man to hold a prominent political office when he was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.

He and Mayor George Moscone were assassinated by a fellow supervisor in 1978.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »

Anita Bryant                                                                    (1:17)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS91gT3XT_A[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2008, 05:30:28 pm »
There are many Anita Bryants out there still ?

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 07:37:50 pm »
I saw it today and really enjoyed it.  It IS a conventionally structured bio-pic but I think that because of that, it ends up being subversive.  The showing I attended had a healthy crowd made up of mostly straight people, including many seniors  (it was a matinee) and there we were, all watching a movie about gay activism.  The scene near the end when the fat lady sings was a bit much though.  I haven't heard Diego Luna'sname mentioned very much but I think he gives a wonderful performance as Harvey's very high-maintenance lover.

Saw the trailers for DOUBT, FROST VS NIXON  & REVOLUTIONARY ROAD.  They all look good, especially DOUBT with Meryl Streep as a deliciously evil nun!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2008, 07:42:57 pm »
Great!

Maybe this film is out now or soon, because there are more and more anti-gays and anti-freedom, anti-educated women... these days ??

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2008, 04:20:30 am »
http://blurbberry.com/harvey-milk-bust-erected-in-san-francisco-city-hall/

Harvey Milk Bust Erected in San Francisco City Hall
May 23rd, 2008

Almost 30 years after his assassination by a fellow city lawmaker, Harvey Milk returned to San Francisco City Hall, according to Mercury News. A bronze bust of the first openly gay politician to win an elected office of any prominence was unveiled Thursday evening on what would have been Milk’s 78th birthday. Milk, long considered a martyred hero of the gay rights movement, is the first non-mayor to have his likeness permanently installed in the civic building. He was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977 and shot to death a year later along with Mayor George Moscone by Dan White, a former police officer who had just resigned his supervisor’s seat.

The bust, sculpted by the Berkeley-based Daub, Firmin, Hendrickson Sculpture Group and based on a photograph taken by a friend, shows Milk with a wide grin and his tie fluttering in the breeze. It sits atop a solid granite base inscribed with a prophetic statement he recorded before his death.

“I ask for the movement to continue because my election gave young people out there hope. You gotta give ‘em hope,” it reads.

Standing 75 inches high and weighing over 200 pounds, the sculpture also has three scenes depicted in relief on the base. One features Milk during his stint in the Navy, another shows him riding in a gay pride parade, and the last depicts the candlelight march held the night of the assassinations.

The sculpture was unveiled during a gala reception, seven years after the Board of Supervisors first passed a resolution authorizing a public memorial for Milk. The project was delayed when the private committee formed to raise money for the project had a hard time soliciting donations.

The private funds were ultimately secured and the sculpture ended up costing $57,500, with another $26,500 going toward a design competition, engineering and installation, said Jill Manton, director of public art for the San Francisco Arts Commission.

A panel of jurors selected the winning design of the grinning Milk from three finalists. Another entry was a more serious, classical design and the third was contemporary interpretation, Manton said.

“Everyone really felt that this particular proposal captured his vitality, his vigor, his energy,” she said.

The bust will stand in a ceremonial rotunda outside the Board of Supervisors chambers, a spot where couples frequently choose to get married. Manton said she expects the bust to be popular with City Hall visitors, especially now that California has legalized same-sex marriage.

“What I’ve heard from the head of the docent tours is the most frequently asked question (by visitors) is, ‘Where is the statue of Harvey Milk?’ or ‘Is there anything commemorating where he was assassinated,” she said.

The installation comes at a time of renewed interest in Milk and his legacy. A biographical film starring Sean Penn as the slain supervisor is scheduled to be released later this year. In the meantime, California lawmakers have been asked to establish a state holiday in Milk’s honor.

Mercury News

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2008, 04:40:40 am »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/24/DD0F149N2C.DTL&hw=danny+nicoletta&sn=001&sc=1000

Photographer Danny Nicoletta - shown as a young man in a photo shot by
San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk - met Milk when he was 19. (Harvey Milk)

Lucas Grabeel (from left), Gus Van Sant and Danny Nicoletta
gather on the set of Van Sant's film "Milk." (Dan Nicoletta)

San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk photographed by Daniel Nicoletta.

Danny Nicoletta photographed Milk's walk to City Hall from the Castro neighborhood after winning a supervisor's seat.

Photographer Danny Nicoletta, 53, was a close friend of Harvey Milk.
(Lacy Atkins / The Chronicle)

Harvey Milk's photographic memory
by Edward Guthmann, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, November 24, 2008

When Danny Nicoletta met Harvey Milk in 1974, he was 19 years old and "pretty clueless," he says. They met at Castro Camera, a funky, informal store that Milk operated with his partner, Scott Smith.

Milk was playful, animated. A flirt and a goofball. "I remember leaving there and remarking to myself how friendly those guys were," Nicoletta says. "Especially that one - Harvey."

A photographer and longtime chronicler of San Francisco's gay culture, Nicoletta joined the circle of friends that Milk tended like a mother hen. In 1978, when Milk was assassinated in City Hall by fellow San Francisco Supervisor Dan White - a year after he became one of the nation's first openly gay elected officials - Nicoletta lost a beloved friend and "gay parent."

That tragedy took place exactly 30 years ago this week and is brought to life in "Milk," the new film by Gus Van Sant ("Good Will Hunting," "My Own Private Idaho" ) that opens Wednesday at the Castro Theatre and Friday at the Embarcadero and Sundance Kabuki. Milk is played by Sean Penn, White by Josh Brolin and Smith by James Franco.

Nicoletta talked about Milk, the man, and "Milk," the movie, at his home in the Sunset District, where one room houses a huge archive of photos crammed into bookshelves, file cabinets and banker's boxes. He's soft-spoken with a slight crack in his voice that sounds like he's recovering from a cold.

Slight of build and still boyish at 53, Nicoletta has for 30 years devoted himself to preserving Milk's legacy. He photographed each of the candlelight marches that commemorated the anniversary of Milk's death; co-chaired and juried the community effort to place a bronze sculpture of Milk in City Hall's Ceremonial Rotunda; and did research and production work on Michael Korie and Stewart Wallace's opera "Harvey Milk."

Today, Nicoletta says, he speaks "three or four times a week" to students, writers and filmmakers who seek his counsel for Milk-related projects.

He's a keeper of the flame, and so central to the Milk legend that Van Sant and screenwriter Dustin Lance Black made him an important supporting character in "Milk." Lucas Grabeel, one of the stars of Disney's "High School Musical"  films, plays him and in one scene wears the actual patchwork vest that Nicoletta wore in the '70s.

Nicoletta was also one of two still photographers on the 10-week San Francisco-based "Milk" shoot.

"The set was just such a love fest," he says. "It was a hard shoot because there was a low budget and people were working their little tails off. (But) people were really thrilled to be working on this. It was very verklempt."

Danny Glicker, the costume designer on "Milk," says Nicoletta's presence on the set was "heaven-sent. With other technical consultants, so many of the insights were expressed through a filter of memory and emotion. But Danny would back up his wonderful stories with photographic proof. There was never a question of people, time or place that Danny could not answer by reaching into his unbelievably meticulous archives."

Van Sant also surprised Nicoletta by casting him in a cameo. It's a scene in which history turns. Nicoletta, playing Milk's friend Carl Carlson, is in the supervisor's office when White interrupts and asks to speak with his colleague. White then takes Milk into his own office where he shoots him.

Watching Penn play Milk was "amazing, right down to the quirky way Harvey twisted his forearm when he spoke, using a restrained but clenched fist to emphasize points. Also his tenderness to the men in his midst, his sexiness and sense of humor and of course his infamous smirk ... at times I felt like I was in the same room as my buddy Harvey."

That accuracy was evident throughout the movie. The scenes at Milk's camera store, which functioned as a social nexus and political hub, were filmed at the exact location: 575 Castro, near 19th Street. Nicoletta says Van Sant and set decorator Barbara Munch captured the physical detail and intimate, comradely vibe of Castro Camera.

"The cadence of the scenes in the camera store really brings me back. They were able to distill that and it's just very, very delightful and very moving."

When they met in 1974, Nicoletta says, Milk was 44 and had just cut his long hair in preparation for his second, unsuccessful campaign to be elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. (He was finally elected in 1977.) Nicoletta, apolitical at the time, never discussed politics with Milk: "We talked theater and film and sexual identity. In a sense, I had this nice autonomy with Harvey because our engagement wasn't politically based."

For Nicoletta, "there's something about the gravity of a feature film that allows a certain kind of closure for us. And not only closure, but fun. The film is incredibly heavy so it's not that the catharsis is not there. It's just that there's a completion."

Had Milk known that a feature film would be based around his life, just as the 1984 Oscar-winning documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk"  was, he would have been thrilled.

"He loved any kind of fanfare, really. He was kind of a little kid that way."

E-mail Edward Guthmann at [email protected].

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2008, 02:16:05 pm »
John, thanks so much for posting all these interesting articles and pictures.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2008, 05:17:55 pm »
John, thanks so much for posting all these interesting articles and pictures.  :-*

Yes, thank you so much, John. I have forwarded them on to my friends here in Australia. We're looking forward to the release of two new movies of substance - "Milk" and "Ciao".  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν