Author Topic: Do you think Jack told Laureen he was leaving her.....  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Do you think Jack told Laureen he was leaving her.....
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:03:59 pm »
I watched the movie again yesterday, and after "lost count" viewings, I still saw some things that Im wondering about......

When Jack drove to Ennis's place, after he heard of his divorce, when he got there, he said....I got your card about the divorce comin thru.....here I am......

Got me to wonderin, if he was there to stay, from that day on or take Ennis away then and there......whether he had told Laureen he was leaving

I know we wont ever know, but its something to think about.

Obviously, just after that and the Mexico scene, we see them at Thanksgiving, where to me, Jack seems to show a lot of respect to Laureen about her cooking half the day...

It also shows how Jack is carrying around the anger, whereas before he would have let things slide with JD but his demeanour had changed quite a lot. He was probbly thinking..."I shouldn't be here with you, I should be with Ennis".

Something else, the divorce was granted on November 6th, Ennis must have let Jack know fairly quickly about the divorce, because Thanksgiving is not long after. You cant really blame Jack for thinking that Ennis was as eager as he was.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Do you think Jack told Laureen he was leaving her.....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:00:52 pm »
I watched the movie again yesterday, and after "lost count" viewings, I still saw some things that Im wondering about......

When Jack drove to Ennis's place, after he heard of his divorce, when he got there, he said....I got your card about the divorce comin thru.....here I am......

Got me to wonderin, if he was there to stay, from that day on or take Ennis away then and there......whether he had told Laureen he was leaving

I know we wont ever know, but its something to think about.

Obviously, just after that and the Mexico scene, we see them at Thanksgiving, where to me, Jack seems to show a lot of respect to Laureen about her cooking half the day...

It also shows how Jack is carrying around the anger, whereas before he would have let things slide with JD but his demeanour had changed quite a lot. He was probbly thinking..."I shouldn't be here with you, I should be with Ennis".

Something else, the divorce was granted on November 6th, Ennis must have let Jack know fairly quickly about the divorce, because Thanksgiving is not long after. You cant really blame Jack for thinking that Ennis was as eager as he was.

Hi Katie 77,
   The Thanksgiving dinners fall in the year following the divorce. Her are two possible timelines for that period:
By the way sp.=screen play as published in "Brokeback Mountain:Story to Screenplay".

1975:

Nov. 6 Alma and Ennis divorce. *1.

Nov. Jack drives up to be with Ennis. Rejected.

Nov. Jack goes to Mexico.

Dec. Jack meets up with Ennis? Jack says "see you next month, then..." (sp. p.63) in the "rejection" scene. *1.

April. Jack receives the “divorce” postcard. Drives up to be with Ennis.  Rejected.

April. Jack goes to Mexico.

May. Jack meets up with Ennis? Jack says “see you next month, then…”(sp.p.63) in the “rejection” scene.*1.

1977:

Nov. Thanksgiving weekend. The two Thanksgiving dinners.

NOTES:

*1.  One possibility is that what the judge says here is an “interlocutory” decree and not a final decree. The final decree would then have been granted some months later – say, in March or April of the following year. If Ennis sent Jack that postcard shortly after receiving the final decree, then Jack would have probably driven up in April and his reference to their meeting next month would point to May.

Another possibility is that the judge’s pronouncement is final but that Ennis spends some time getting things sorted out before sending Jack that postcard. This again could result in Jack’s driving up in April.

In general, a number of Brokies feel that it is much more likely that the meeting referred to would take place in the spring and not in wintery December. There is some textual support for this. In one of the earlier scripts for Brokeback Mountain, Jack’s line reads: “I’ll see you first week in June, then.”

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:15:25 pm »
Katie, you deserve a prize for your wonderful thread subject !

Jack was likely intending to leave Laureen by telling her ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:16 pm »
Merci too to you chowhound !

I like your details.

So, does it detail that Jack told Lureen about Ennis's divorse ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:58:34 pm »
Hi Katie and Artiste,
  I can imagine the sorts of things that were going through Jack's mind as he read the divorce postcard but I'm not sure why he decided to go to Ennis right away. After all, we know the two of them had one of their regular meetings already set up for the following month, so why not delay any discussion about their future until then? But not Jack! Maybe his taking off immediately speaks to his passionate involvement with Ennis but it also speaks to his impetuosity as well. He simply couldn't wait till next month - he had to be with Ennis now. Heaven only knows how he explained his sudden departure to Lureen. However, I'm sure he wouldn't have said anything about Ennis and the divorce at this point. Why would he?

I can't imagine quite what he expected when he met up with Ennis. I doubt whether he thought he'd move in with Ennis then and there but I'm sure he believed that this was the start of their new life together. "...I guess I thought this means you'd..." was all he gets to say but most of us can finish the sentence for him.

The crushing of Jack's hope of a "sweet life" With Ennis is the movie's most bitter moment, and one which subtly changes Jack. You are right, Katie, he does seem different at the Thanksgiving dinner and after his rejection by Ennis we rarely see him smile. Apparently, the film employed was changed to a "darker" type at this point in the movie. I can see why.