Author Topic: Annie Proulx interviewed in the Los Angeles  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Annie Proulx interviewed in the Los Angeles
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
Times. She starts off the article with saying

"I wish I'd never written it," Proulx says at her home five miles outside town, looking out enormous windows onto the river and the limestone cliffs that define her property...   

We know what she's referring to.  ;D 

It's a lenthgy article about Proulx moving on with life, "she's no longer at home on the range."  Her neigbhors don't even know she lives in their town, but they have all heard of Brokeback Mountain!

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-et-proulx18-2008oct18,0,4292227.story

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Annie Proulx interviewed in the Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:52:38 am »

"I wish I'd never written it," Proulx says at her home five miles outside town, looking out enormous windows onto the river and the limestone cliffs that define her property...   

A clarification...the reason she says this is because of all the letters she's received from men "correcting" the story because they think they understand men better than she does.

My feeling is that men, or women, who want to rewrite the story, have missed the boat. It's a story about the human condition, and it's not gender specific. It was written by a woman about men, but it just as well could have been written by a man about women, or by either gender about a man and a woman. It's just that this story about gay men especially resonates with today's audiences because of the taboos and issues we're grappling with.
"chewing gum and duct tape"