Author Topic: BBC News Article.... Womb environment 'makes men gay'  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
BBC News Article.... Womb environment 'makes men gay'
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:48:58 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120004.stm

Womb environment 'makes men gay' 

Scientists have not found the biological mechanism for this effect
A man's sexual orientation may be determined by conditions in the womb, according to a study.
Previous research had revealed the more older brothers a boy has, the more likely he is to be gay, but the reason for this phenomenon was unknown.

But a Canadian study has shown that the effect is most likely down to biological rather than social factors.

The research is published in the journal of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Professor Anthony Bogaert from Brock University in Ontario, Canada, studied 944 heterosexual and homosexual men with either "biological" brothers, in this case those who share the same mother, or "non-biological" brothers, that is, adopted, step or half siblings.

These results support a prenatal origin to sexual orientation development in men

He found the link between the number of older brothers and homosexuality only existed when the siblings shared the same mother.

The amount of time the individual spent being raised with older brothers did not affect their sexual orientation.

Writing in the journal, Professor Bogaert said: "If rearing or social factors associated with older male siblings underlies the fraternal birth-order effect [the link between the number of older brothers and male homosexuality], then the number of non-biological older brothers should predict men's sexual orientation, but they do not.

"These results support a prenatal origin to sexual orientation development in men."

He suggests the effect is probably the result of a "maternal memory" in the womb for male births.

A woman's body may see a male foetus as "foreign", he says, prompting an immune reaction which may grow progressively stronger with each male child.

The antibodies created may affect the developing male brain.

In an accompanying article, scientists from Michigan State University said: "These data strengthen the notion that the common denominator between biological brothers, the mother, provides a prenatal environment that fosters homosexuality in her younger sons."

"But the question of mechanism remains."

Andy Forrest, a spokesman for gay rights group Stonewall, said: "Increasingly, credible evidence appears to indicate that being gay is genetically determined rather than being a so-called lifestyle choice.

"It adds further weight to the argument that lesbian and gay people should be treated equally in society and not discriminated against for something that's just as inherent as skin colour."

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

EnnisDelMar

Re: BBC News Article.... Womb environment 'makes men gay'
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 11:11:19 am »
Interesting...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:13:23 am »
I remember reading a book while I was carrying my son called The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian.  I didn't agree with all his postulations about how to raise sons within our American culture, but I do remember finding one part about how boys and girls develop differently in the womb very interesting.  It had mostly to do with how the two sides of girls' brains develop simultaneously in the womb, while boys' left brains develop more quickly than their right brains, and how the connections between the two sides don't form completely in boys until after birth.  He talked about how this is why girls seem to have an easier time learning how to understand and process language than boys (girls generally do start talking sooner and better than boys) because the connections between the two sides of the brain have been developing longer.  He went on to talk about how his research so far has found that the amount of testosterone and cortisol a baby is exposed to in the womb can have a great impact on how many so-called masculine and feminine traits a boy or girl will have to the point even of helping determine the sexual orientation as well.  This made perfect sense to me.  I think we're all a product not just of the genes we inherit, but of the chemicals we've been exposed to from conception on.  Even identical twins with identical DNA have distinct personalities.  How can this be unless the way each baby experiences the womb and his or her birth is entirely unique, and it shapes him or her as such going forward?

I'd never heard of the younger brothers theory, but that's certainly interesting, too.  Ed and I are RH-positive and RH-negative, which means I had to have RhoGam injections throughout my pregnancy with Will in case his blood was RH-positive so my body would not see him as a "foreign" object and have an immunological reaction to him.  Really, they told me at the time that it's the *second* child that is most at risk of this - the the womb "remembers" and has built up some kind of immunity to the blood type of the baby that was there before.  So this makes sense to me, too, just from my own experience in hearing this kind of thing.  I still think there could be a genetic link as well.  But I've certainly always believed that homosexuality is somehow inherent and not "learned."  Frankly, I find people who would actually believe the latter is true to be among the biggest ignoramuses on the planet.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:26:09 am »
I read that book too, or one similar to it, while I was carrying my son. What impressed me at the time was the long list of physical and mental problems that attack boys more than girls. It seems evolution has given girls a leg up to assure continuation of the species, perhaps. One of the maladies mentioned that is more prevalent in boys is dyslexia, which Jack thought his son suffered from. Another one is the family of "ADD" disorders. My son is totally brilliant but also has ADD behavior which he is able to control by focusing on intense sports like ice hockey and triathlons where he is able to move at the pace he likes, also constant drumming.  ::) I would never think of drugging him altho I have threatened it once or twice!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 11:40:30 am »
My instinctive reaction to articles like this is to think that as long as this kind of research continues, it underlies a fundamental assumption that something "makes" people gay.  If science decides that the causative factor is biologocal, then tolerance, compassion, equal rights...will be advocated.  Otherwise, it's an excuse to justify bogotry. 

Either way, this approach gives me the creeps.  It begs the question of "what's wrong with this certain group of people" and assumes the way to treat them is derived from the answer. 

Does it matter?  Do the differences in people have to be explained by research like this?  Can't we affirm the equal value of all people without it?

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

gattaca

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 11:54:51 am »
Well, I don't remember the birth experience (does anybody?), and I have only 1 younger sister - so I don't fit the statistical sample. :)

However, I don't remember ever "deciding" to be gay. I just was. There were no higher-level throught processes involved. I can't say whether or not sexual preferences are genetic, hardwired, due to miniscule variations in our DNA, the result of environmental factors, or a combination of all these - but I grew up gay. And I wasn't involved in the 'decision process'.

The paper poses an interesting premise.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 01:15:59 pm »
My instinctive reaction to articles like this is to think that as long as this kind of research continues, it underlies a fundamental assumption that something "makes" people gay.  If science decides that the causative factor is biologocal, then tolerance, compassion, equal rights...will be advocated.  Otherwise, it's an excuse to justify bogotry. 

Either way, this approach gives me the creeps.  It begs the question of "what's wrong with this certain group of people" and assumes the way to treat them is derived from the answer. 

Does it matter?  Do the differences in people have to be explained by research like this?  Can't we affirm the equal value of all people without it?

Good point, Celeste.  I know what you mean - it does bother me, too, that people seem to have to have a "reason" for it, like it's a disease or disability.  I wish everyone could see it the way I think all of us here see it - that we're all equal in general as human beings and specifically in that not a one of us can help who we are attracted to and who we love.  You're right - these articles (and this kind of research and this mindset in general) only serve to promote the notion that homosexuality is a problem that needs to be solved.  So the tent's not straight.  Why can't they just let it be?
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 05:48:35 pm »
I had nothing really to add to the article, but I thought it made interesting reading. Liking the replies too.

Never heard of the Wonder of Boys book, but sounds very interesting, and it does indeed make you think about what also may be 'learned' in the womb.

I do see your point however, Celeste, and while that makes sense to us that there is no reason to do this reseach I do think its a useful tool to brandish against the bigots.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 11:49:56 pm »
I think there are physiological as well as spiritual components to heterosexuality and homosexuality.  By spiritual I don't imply good or bad, but consider it a likely dominant factor.  Science should really examine both sides of the equation. 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 11:25:05 am »
Native Americans thought of gay people as having twice the humanity of straight people, who were thought of as being sort of split in half. And thus gay members of the tribe had an exalted place and lived their lives openly and accepted.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »

Wow!!

The things you learn from Chez Tremblay...  :o
Chut up!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:35:35 pm »
You know, I was thinking tonight as I was taking the dog for a walk. Was Jack perhaps adopted? That would explain why "Ennis couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them," as it says in the story.  Also, it would explain (not excuse) why his father was so cruel. If Jack was adopted, maybe he did have an older brother somewhere.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 09:30:10 am »
My only fear is that Scientist want to learn what makes a person Gay so they can prevent it from hapening in the future!

Imagine if there was a simple test to see how your child would be born?    Everything from physical Birth defects to things like mental disorders.    They could give the parents the option of not keeping the child.   "oh and we discovered your son is going to be a flaming queen of a hairdresser, would you like that Sir?"   

Can you imagine how BORING this planet would be without Gay men and women?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 10:18:39 am »
Yep, Celeste really speaks to my initial reaction to the article.

Let me also point out that, any one studying Statisitcs 101 can tell you, correlation don't not mean proof. Just because their is more a correlation between homosexuality in biological brothers might rule out one social factor, it doesn't mean that it prooves the biological factor. There are too many exception. Gattaca himself is one, an older brother who gay. I've also met quite a few identical twins who are one gay one straight. If sexuality is biologically and genetically determined, that should be impossible. I take this article with a grain of salt, and wait to see how the study is reproduced and challenged.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 05:17:22 pm »
Can you imagine how BORING this planet would be without Gay men and women Brokeback mountain?

do you think we could cope!? what would we do with our lives? what did we do pre BBM!?

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 05:41:40 pm »

Let me also point out that, any one studying Statisitcs 101 can tell you, correlation don't not mean proof.

Absolutely!  There is a huge difference between correlation and causation.  This sort of statistical compilation tells us nothing essentially.  Maybe all it tells us is that the more siblings/offspring exist in a family, the more likey it is that at least one will be gay.  And maybe that's just reflective of populatin statistics - that in any larger given group there will be more diversity.

It's not hard to make numbers mean anything, and even less difficult to simiply present them without understanding what they mean at all.  How many siblings do you have to have, and of what gender, to make you straight?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:38 am »
*bumping*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:05 am »
my goodness! I had foirgotten I had even posted this!! Somebody has been busy digging this morning Lynne!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 10:26:26 am »
my goodness! I had foirgotten I had even posted this!! Somebody has been busy digging this morning Lynne!

Yes, I went searching for it specifically, Kelda, because one of our members had heard this/a similar theory and had some questions.  I'm hoping that some of our members who work in health care/bio-sciences will weigh in with their thoughts.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »
I wonder what the "womb environment" does to/about gay girls?  I love how that issue is completely ignored in the study (apparently).  I'd be curious as a gay girl myself.  I loathe and detest studies like this.  I wonder if they're planning on doing a study about what makes straight men straight (I'm sure they'd leave straight girls out of that one too)?
 >:( >:( >:(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie