Author Topic: ON the TOB board, good news  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
ON the TOB board, good news
« on: June 28, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »
I'm copying somebody's else's post...

"Per RottenTomatoes.com - Brokeback has taken in 31.3M in video rentals - compare that to 30.2M for Chronicles of Narnia and 37.4M for King Kong... both of which cost almost 15 times as much to make as Brokeback... amazing! The investors in Brokeback must have made a mint off of this movie!"

I wonder how many ppl would have seen this film if it wasn't for the DVD/VCR.  I heard the relatively cautious GUESS WHOSE COMING TO DINNER made alot of money because of the curiousity factor, not necessarily because the audience condoned the situation.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: ON the TOB board, good news
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:09:21 pm »
It is amazing that people are still discovering the film. I'm happy for it. On imdb, we still see people coming on and asking the same questions we all asked back in December, January, February. there are still people just beginning to grapple with their emotions. It's good to see the effect of the film out last the "hype".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:22:12 pm »
It is amazing that people are still discovering the film. I'm happy for it. On imdb, we still see people coming on and asking the same questions we all asked back in December, January, February. there are still people just beginning to grapple with their emotions. It's good to see the effect of the film out last the "hype".

Amen, Starboardlight! For that I'll be sendin' up a prayer of thanks. ...   :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:40:05 pm »
...And I like to think that ultimately, those rentals will surpass Narnia's and King Kong's, because the people I know who've seen either of the latter two are like "eh" about them, but almost all the people I know who've rented "Brokeback" tell other people they know they should see it.
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 12:02:40 pm »
With Narnia and K.K. I did rent. They were able to hold my attn span.  That's about all I will say.   Some ppl were too sheepish to go see the film at the theater.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:57:41 pm »
Nipith -

On imdb, we still see people coming on and asking the same questions we all asked back in December, January, February. there are still people just beginning to grapple with their emotions.

It is wonderful indeed.  And yet I worry what will happen after it leaves the rental shelves - there will never cease to be people who desperately need to see this film...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:22:08 pm »
I'm so proud of how good it's doing!! I'm sure years from now people will still be picking this up from shelves, it's such a great movie!!  :D
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 02:40:30 am »
Nipith -

It is wonderful indeed.  And yet I worry what will happen after it leaves the rental shelves - there will never cease to be people who desperately need to see this film...

yeah, LJ. you're right. there will continue to be people who need to see this film. the film will never completely leave the rental shelves. it just won't be so prominently displayed anymore. I hope that they'll continue to find their way to this film. there'll be people like us continuing to recommend it to people who haven't seen it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 11:31:49 am »
Wait until it hits HBO or Showtime or Starz!  I am not sure who will land the pay movie channel rights, but it should show up before the summer is out after the pay per view run is past.  I'd guess August or September.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming