Author Topic: Someone who knows Oscars please HELP!!!  (Read 6305 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Someone who knows Oscars please HELP!!!
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:36:15 pm »
I know lots of you are finished with the AMPAS and I don't blame you....but I'm tryin to settle a debate here and would appreciate some help...so please...for a friend...forget about the past for 5 minutes and help me if you can...thanks in advance...

Ok here goes...

Peter Jackson in 2003 won 3 Oscars...one for Best Director, one for Best Screenplay and one for Best Picture...he won as a director, writer and producer...correct?  Ok so as many of you know...once you win an Oscar or sometimes are just nominated...you are invited to become a voter...HOWEVER you have to vote in your respective category...directors vote for Best Director, actors vote for the acting categories, writers for the screenplay categories etc....and then they all get to vote on Best Picture. 

So here the dilema...since Peter Jackson (assuming he's a voter) has won 3 Oscars in 3 different categories...does he get to vote in all of those categories?  Does he get to vote for Best Director, Best Screenplay and as a producer....and still vote for Best Picture?  That make sense...in other words does he have the power of 3 voters...

Anyone know?

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Someone who knows Oscars please HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:05:11 pm »
 :) well, if it had been a question about a movie, I could help - but this is more technical and my knowledge is limited in that
 area but it sounds logical that he would have the power of three different votes for those separate categories but only one
vote (of course) for best picture...................... :)

Where is RT when you need him??? ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:10:24 pm »
:) well, if it had been a question about a movie, I could help - but this is more technical and my knowledge is limited in that
 area but it sounds logical that he would have the power of three different votes for those separate categories but only one
vote (of course) for best picture...................... :)

Where is RT when you need him??? ???

Alright...no prob!  Thanks....

I'm just glad it made sense...LOL

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:29:40 pm »
My understanding has always been that writers *nominate* writers, directors *nominate* directors, etc., but that the whole AMPAS body nominates Best Picture.  When it comes to actual voting among the nominees, the whole body votes for every category.  The only caveat is that all voters have to certify they've seen the Best Foreign Film and Best Documentary Feature in order to vote in those categories (so I guess they have specific screenings for those you have to sign something or have a receipt showing you attended?).

I'm not absolutely sure of all this.  But I do remember there often being talk about the reason the directors of the five Best Picture nominees aren't always the same five directors nominated for Best Director is that only directors can nominate directors, but the whole body of the Academy nominates Best Picture.  And I read an article in Entertainment Weekly a week or so before Black Sunday that had interviews with an actor, producer and screenwriter (anonymously), asking them who/what they'd voted for in all the categories and why - that's what leads me to think everyone gets to vote for pretty much all the categories.

Oh, and I thought that once you get *nominated* (i.e., it's not required that you win), you are an honorary member of the Academy.

But you can also be *invited* to be a member (and thus vote) without ever having been nominated - kinda like the National Honor Society in school - you don't have to have any actual merit - you just have to be popular.  Grrrrrrr...  I read about all this after the Final Blow in March.  Yet another reason I'm beyond totally done with them.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:35:35 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 04:34:27 pm »
I'm not sure of this.  But I do remember there often being talk about the reason the directors of the five Best Picture nominees aren't always the same five directors nominated for Best Director is that only directors can nominate directors, but the whole body of the Academy nominates Best Picture.

Yep that is exactly how it works....so the actors nominated and vote for the acting categories, directors nominate/vote for Best Director, writers nominate/vote for the screenplays BUT they also can nominate/vote for Best Picture...

But my question is...since Peter Jackson is both a writer and director....does he get to nominate/vote for Best Screenplay and Best Director and then of course Best Picture....ya know?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:36:45 pm »
But my question is...since Peter Jackson is both a writer and director....does he get to nominate/vote for Best Screenplay and Best Director and then of course Best Picture....ya know?

Yes.  Because every member of the Academy gets to vote for Best Picture.  Period.  And yes, he'd still get to nominate in those other categories.  And I still think everybody gets to *vote* in all the categories, too, but maybe I'm wrong on that particular point.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 06:54:02 pm »
But does he get one Best Picture vote, or three?  It's got to be one, don' it?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 08:01:59 pm »
But does he get one Best Picture vote, or three?  It's got to be one, don' it?

Just one.  And it doesn't matter what, if anything, you win as far as how you get to vote or whether you get to be in the Academy - you get to be in the Academy just by being nominated  (or by being recommended by someone who's already in).  And once you're in, you get to vote for Best Picture.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether everyone can vote, once the nominees are announced and the ballots are sent out, on every category or just on the ones that are their area of expertise.  I'm pretty sure they can all vote in every category (just once!  :)) at this point, except Foreign Film and maybe Documentary Feature because I think they have to certify that they saw all five nominees in each first.

IMO, they should have to certify that they saw all five Best Picture nominees in order to vote in that category, too.  But I'll tell you what, even if they change it so they do that, I ain't watching again.  Screw them and the horse they rode in on.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:17:30 pm »
IMO, they should have to certify that they saw all five Best Picture nominees in order to vote in that category, too.  But I'll tell you what, even if they change it so they do that, I ain't watching again.  Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

I was just coming in here to add this, "Just to beat a dead horse (again), why the hell aren't they required to certify that they saw all 5 of the Best Pic nominees?"  [Elle puts down her horsebeater, exhausted by the AMPAS crap.]

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:00:34 pm »
I was just coming in here to add this, "Just to beat a dead horse (again), why the hell aren't they required to certify that they saw all 5 of the Best Pic nominees?"  [Elle puts down her horsebeater, exhausted by the AMPAS crap.]

[Barb picks up Elle's horsebeater]Because that would require them to plausibly explain themselves whenever they fuck up to Biblical proportions like they did on March 5, 2006?[Barb puts the horsebeater back down again and reminds herself how important a thing it is that she's not bitter.]
No more beans!