Author Topic: Since Ennis was so closeted, why did he out himself to the Twists?  (Read 13262 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Why does Ennis, who is so paranoid of being found out, expose his and Jack’s relationship to Jack’s parents?  By going to the Twist ranch Ennis should have realized that he was going to give the Twists something to think about, hell they might possibly even make the connection that Ennis was queer as was their son!  Ennis must have wondered about whether Jack’s parents knew or did not know that their son was queer.

We already know that Jack was very private and did not spread personal information about the two of them, so presumably Ennis knew that Jack was discreet in that way.  So instead of going to the Twists', why did he not write them a letter instead, or make his offer in a telephone call, about taking the ashes up to Brokeback, I mean?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 08:26:34 pm by JakeTwist »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Since Ennis was so closeted, why did he out himself to the Twists?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:26:52 pm »
In my opinion, I think the need to fulfill Jack's last  wish about his ashes, was so overwhelmingly important to Ennis, that he had to go see them.
I believe he intended on just saying that they were friends, but saw something in Mrs. Twists eyes that made him believe she knew.

Also, Mr. Twist spoke freely about Jack bringing Ennis to the ranch and then another fella, and Ennis still never admitted anything.

Ennis never actually said they were lovers, he said "we was good friends."  Also at this point, the grief was so abundant, that this was the least of his problems.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:28:50 pm by DeeDee »
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:39:27 pm »
I also agree Ennis was so eager to fullfil Jake's last wishes. He went there I think to bring the ashes to Brokeback Mountain but Jake's dad refused and I guess he respected that...maybe because he didn't want him to suspect anything but something really makes me think that Jake's mother knew. Whenever she was willingly giving the shirt to Ennis something in her eyes just said something as if she knew.
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:19 pm »

Yeah, I think the general concensus is that Mrs. Twist knew that Ennis was the love of her son's life, and she comes across as VERY sympathectic to Ennis, so kind to him.   :-*

Old man Twist is another matter entirely!  As a matter of fact, I will be playing have played, and will be playing Mr. John C. Twist in BetterMost's very own production of Broke Arsed Mountain!

Don't miss our wonderful show folks!

.... what I was saying is that based on what Mr. Twist chose to disclose to Ennis, I think Mr. Twist also knew Jack was queer, and Ennis was queer.
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20:56 pm »
I think the Ang Lee was trying to show that the dad did know what was going on. He got on my nerves so bad, couldn't have been more rude. But I guess it's typical for back then when being gay wasn't exactly "looked upon." But the mom was so sweet I could just tell that even if she did know she would have accepted Jake anyways. I think Ennis might have known that they knew even though to me it didn't seem like he really expressed that in any way.

Sounds like a nice show you guys are puling off  :laugh: I'll have to see it  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:47 pm »

.... what I was saying is that based on what Mr. Twist chose to disclose to Ennis, I think Mr. Twist also knew Jack was queer, and Ennis was queer.

Perhaps the lesson in that is that people think they can hide their sexuality, but they really can't. Someone who is "in closet" is only in there to him or herself, not to those around them.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 06:46:23 pm »
I think the Ang Lee was trying to show that the dad did know what was going on. He got on my nerves so bad, couldn't have been more rude. But I guess it's typical for back then when being gay wasn't exactly "looked upon." But the mom was so sweet I could just tell that even if she did know she would have accepted Jake anyways. I think Ennis might have known that they knew even though to me it didn't seem like he really expressed that in any way.

Sounds like a nice show you guys are puling off  :laugh: I'll have to see it  :D

Actually, it wasn't Ang Lee's idea but Proulx's. Ennis visit to Jack's parents is in the short story.

As for the original posting, I think Ennis didn't know Jack's parents knew about them. That was probably the least he expected to find or hear there. Ennis was surprised when Jack's dad tells he knew who he was.

Ennis went there to offer his condolences and to take Jack's ashes to Brokeback thinking maybe they didn't know where it was, since Lureen didn't. I personally think Ennis wanted to see something about Jack, as a personal tribute or something. I have the impression that he sort of felt the need to be close to Jack, to feel the love and the pain, and the only thing he could do about it was to visit his parents.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 06:56:34 pm »
On a very mundane, unromantic level, Lightning Flat is a long way from Riverton. Ennis might have expected never to see Jack's folks again after that visit.

Not that I think Ennis ever stopped to make that consideration.

Even had Ennis not loved Jack, the widow of the best friend he ever had more or less asked him to make that trip, and Ennis is the kind of man who would do that.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 07:04:33 pm »
Actually... Lureen suggested that he contact Jacks folks about getting the ashes and fulfilling Jacks wishes.

Ennis wasn't really outing himself.  Many people will go out of their way when a close friend or loved one dies.   Even taking the shirts cannot be called a "gay" thing to do.
Taking a momento from a deceased loved one is not uncommon.   

Henry Ford (the car man) was very close to his two best friends.  Thomas Edison and Harvey Firestone.    When Edison was dying, Ford went to visit him on his death bed.   He took with him a large clear glass test tube.  He had Thomas Edison breath into it and then he capped it off.   This tube with Edisons last breath in it is on display today at Henry Fords huge Museum complex in Dearborn Michigan!   Now that is really wanting a momento from a best friend!    I saw this when I visited the Museum called "Greefield Village".    He has the chair from the theater that President Lincoln was assassinated in too.    Henry Ford idolized President Lincoln.  And yes, the Lincoln car was named after him.

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 07:10:34 pm »
Actually, it wasn't Ang Lee's idea but Proulx's. Ennis visit to Jack's parents is in the short story.

As for the original posting, I think Ennis didn't know Jack's parents knew about them. That was probably the least he expected to find or hear there. Ennis was surprised when Jack's dad tells he knew who he was.

Ennis went there to offer his condolences and to take Jack's ashes to Brokeback thinking maybe they didn't know where it was, since Lureen didn't. I personally think Ennis wanted to see something about Jack, as a personal tribute or something. I have the impression that he sort of felt the need to be close to Jack, to feel the love and the pain, and the only thing he could do about it was to visit his parents.

Yeah, I know it was in the short story I guess I just forgot about that. Sorry XD  ;D