Author Topic: Since Ennis was so closeted, why did he out himself to the Twists?  (Read 13476 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Since Ennis was so closeted, why did he out himself to the Twists?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:26:48 pm »
In my opinion, I think the need to fulfill Jack's last  wish about his ashes, was so overwhelmingly important to Ennis, that he had to go see them.
Also at this point, the grief was so abundant, that this was the least of his problems.
I agree. I think that Ennis realized he had denied Jack's dearest wish, over and over. Fullfilling this other, last wish of Jack's seemed to be the only thing that he could do for Jack, and his fears no longer mattered to Ennis. The worst had already happened.

When he got to Lightning Flat, and had his interaction with Mr. Twist, Ennis realized even more fully how he'd hurt Jack. When Ennis found the shirts (guided by Jack's mom), Ennis found something something else he could do for Jack, and for himself, more important than honoring Jack by seeing his ashes scattered where he wished. No matter where we stand on the question of Ennis' future, I think there's agreement that finding the shirts, and the evidence of Jack's love for him, led Ennis to act toward at least one other person out of knowing, finally, that love was what mattered the most.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 08:56:22 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:13 pm »
I agree. I think that Ennis realized he had denied Jack's dearest wish, over and over. Fullfilling this other, last wish of Jack's seemed to be the only thing that he could do for Jack, and his fears no longer mattered to Ennis. The worst had already happened.

When he got to Lightning Flat, and had his interaction with the Mr. Twist, Ennis realized even more fully how he'd hurt Jack. When Ennis found the shirts (guided by Jack's mom), Ennis found something something else he could do for Jack, and for himself, more important than honoring Jack by seeing his ashes scattered where he wished. No matter where we stand on the question of Ennis' future, I think there's agreement that finding the shirts, and the evidence of Jack's love for him, led Ennis to act toward at least one other person out of knowing, finally, that love was what mattered the most.

Beautiful post fernly!! :)   (why can't I write stuff like that!?!  ???)

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 09:07:14 pm »
Beautiful post fernly!! :)   (why can't I write stuff like that!?!  ???)

I agree, Jane.  Lovely, Lynn.  And I think everyone else here makes excellent points - like Jeff's that that was the kind of man Ennis was - the kind that would honor the request of his best friend's widow - and all of you who said that the worst had already happened and exposing himself to the Twists was the furthest worry from his mind at that point.
No more beans!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:21:36 pm »
Yes, there was no hesitation in Ennis going to visit theTwists.....he was going to fulfil Jacks wish, to get the ashes and take them to Brokeback.

I am sure Mrs Twist knew about the boys, or at least felt that there was something special between them...Not sure if Old man Twist got the right picture, I think all he thought about in his selfish way, was the thought of two blokes coming up and fixing up his ranch.

Mrs Twist knew Ennis was not going to get the ashes, but she made sure Ennis was going to get the two shirts and was not going to leave empty handed...Maybe Jack had told her the origins of the shirts at some time, i believe he probably did.

By the way, "ednbarby"...what a beautiful quote you have at the bottom of your post..I have read it over and over.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 10:02:39 pm »
By the way, "ednbarby"...what a beautiful quote you have at the bottom of your post..I have read it over and over.

I've been noticing the quotation, too. You a Sting fan, Barb?  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 10:42:41 pm »
Yes, there was no hesitation in Ennis going to visit theTwists.....he was going to fulfil Jacks wish, to get the ashes and take them to Brokeback.

I am sure Mrs Twist knew about the boys, or at least felt that there was something special between them...Not sure if Old man Twist got the right picture, I think all he thought about in his selfish way, was the thought of two blokes coming up and fixing up his ranch.

Mrs Twist knew Ennis was not going to get the ashes, but she made sure Ennis was going to get the two shirts and was not going to leave empty handed...Maybe Jack had told her the origins of the shirts at some time, i believe he probably did.

Katie, reading your post and noting your use of the word "blokes" has me wondering if you're Australian!

w

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 11:26:18 pm »
Yes i am an aussie.....and i have met another one here since i joined the board the other day...

Nice to meet ya mate....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 02:29:02 am »
This thread is dedicated to Katherine!

Wow, thanks, JakeTwist! How flattering! Guess I'd better post on it, then. (I just discovered it now.) Also, my view seems to be different from many of those here.

When Ennis goes to see the Twists, IMO, he's basically coming out to them. As someone else put it, in what I thought was a very plain but beautiful way (much to my chagrin -- and despite concerted searches -- I can't remember who it was): "I'm the queer who loved your son."

Ennis doesn't tell the Twists he and Jack were lovers. That would be entirely out of character. But Ennis does tell the Twists "I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel" about Jack. Which is literally true -- he feels really bad, but can't talk about it. But Mr. Twist immediately makes clear that he knows what's going on. "Tell you what, I know where Brokeback Mountain is," is his coded/symbolic way of saying he knows Jack was gay. (To clarify, that's not Mr. Twist deliberately speaking in code to Ennis, it's the filmmakers deliberately speaking in code to us viewers: the mountain symbolizes their homosexual relationship, so Mr. Twist's line symbolically implies he knows about Jack's homosexuality). If that's not clear enough, Mr. Twist makes it even more so when he talks about Jack wanting to ranch up with Ennis, and then this spring with another fella. Mr. Twist may be a jerk, but he's not an idiot. He gets it. And Ennis knows full well he gets it.

As does Mrs. Twist, which is again obvious to Ennis. Her sympathy, her gentle push toward the shirts, her nodding approval when he takes them -- he understands what she's saying, and indicates so by the way he responds to her in return: nods,  a thank you, a  lingering grateful look on the porch as he leaves.

So Ennis understands that the Twists "know." But at that point he doesn't care. He doesn't run out and get himself beat up, as he did on Thanksgiving. He is willing to face Mr. Twist and be courteous despite the old man's rudeness. He even comes close to tears at the news of the other fella, despite what he knows it would reveal. Though protective of Jack (he somewhat shields the shirts from Mr. Twist), he also walks right through the kitchen with them, symbol of his and Jack's relationship.

Since Jack's death, he has realized that his desire to hide his homosexuality and their relationship has ruined his life. In that light, hiding seems a lot less important. What has become far more important is expressing his grief, and doing what he can to honor Jack's memory.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:20:36 pm by latjoreme »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 04:07:27 pm »
I've been noticing the quotation, too. You a Sting fan, Barb?  :)

Yes.  But the version I prefer is actually Eva Cassidy's.  I used to play it for Will when he was going to sleep at night as a baby.  It has a much more poignant and melancholy sound to it than Sting's version.

Here's a lovely BBM montage someone made to Eva's version - it was coming across this on youtube (or was it here?) and loving it last week that made me change my signature to the first line in the song.  I just watched it again now and welled up all over again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwLOQcGaow&search=brokeback%20mountain%20fields%20of%20gold
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 06:04:43 pm »
The reason why Ennis went up to Lightning Flat?

I think he had this overwhelming need to feel as close as possible to Jack  - to see and to touch some sort of physical evidence that Jack had existed. He also may have wanted to experience the small comfort (although bleak) that can be found in shared grief. And he had a need to see Jack's last wish for final resting place fulfilled. After having refused to fulfill his wish for a "sweet life" on earth all of Jack's life, that might perhaps provide some sort of closure. Moreoever I think Ennis wished to once revisit Brokeback with Jack - to say goodbye to the place in saying goodbye to the man.

When Ennis goes to see the Twists, IMO, he's basically coming out to them.  [snip]
But Mr. Twist immediately makes clear that he knows what's going on. "Tell you what, I know where Brokeback Mountain is," is his coded/symbolic way of saying he knows Jack was gay. If that's not clear enough, Mr. Twist makes it even more so when he talks about Jack wanting to ranch up with Ennis, and then this spring with another fella. Mr. Twist may be a jerk, but he's not an idiot. He gets it. And Ennis knows full well he gets it.

As does Mrs. Twist, which is again obvious to Ennis. Her sympathy, her gentle push toward the shirts, her nodding approval when he takes them -- he understands what she's saying, and indicates so by the way he responds to her in return: nods,  a thank you, a  lingering grateful look on the porch as he leaves.

So Ennis understands that the Twists "know." But at that point he doesn't care.

I agree that both the Twists know, and that they make it very plain to Ennis that they know, as plain as can be without saying the words outright. 

But I don't think Ennis had any thought of "coming out" to the Twists; - I very much doubt he even considered the risk of being "outed". (But even if he did, he wouldn't have let that stop him.) I don't think he would have expected the Twists to have heard about him except perhaps as some casual "hunting buddy", so their level of knowledge about him must have come as a surprise. I think he hoped they'd just see his offer as a bona fide condolence visit and offer of help, nothing more.

But once he's there, he realizes that they do know - and yet, the heavens don't come crashing down. As the quote above says, he doesn't care. He discovers that horrible as it is, he can actually stand this. In the behaviour of Mr. Twist he meets the contempt of the world that he's always expected to meet, if the truth became known. But he finds that is not as horrible as he's always feared it would be; - there are worse things. And he also unexpectedly meets an outstretched hand - acceptance, compassion, respect. 

Ennis receives two posthumous and very precious gifts from Jack at Lightning Flat, that both go a long way towards putting Ennis's deepest fears to rest and giving him some measure of inner peace:  The shirts, proving to Ennis that Jack loved him all along until his death, when Ennis feared he didn't. And the Twists's behaviour towards Ennis, prompted by the knowledge that Jack had deposited with his parents, proving to Ennis in practice that he is able to stand being known as a queer, that he may actually survive people *knowing* about him, that he may well meet understanding, not only disgust.

Perhaps the visit with the Twists and Jack's two gifts represented important early steps in a process that eventually will let Ennis have peace with himself and truly accept who he really is.