Author Topic: Kerry takes a Walk through the 'Hood  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Kerry takes a Walk through the 'Hood
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:54 am »
Kerry takes a Walk through the ‘Hood

It’s a beautiful, sunny Spring morning, the air heavy with the scent of jasmine, as I head out for a leisurely walk through my neighbourhood.

(It may be necessary to scroll-over, to view the full image)

I walk to the end of my street, where a beautiful vista of the Sydney skyline can be seen.

Through the trees to my left, I look down on Rozelle Bay marina.  Rozelle Bay is one of Sydney Harbour’s many bays. In the middle distance can be seen the traffic ramp leading to the Anzac Bridge. In the far distance, the iconic arch of the Sydney Harbour Bridge dominates the skyline, with flags flying.

I walk down the stone steps, cut into the Hawkesbury sandstone by convicts two centuries ago, and come to the entrance of Jubilee Park, located on the foreshore of Sydney Harbour.

I walk eastward along the path towards the city. Rozelle Bay is on my left, with the pylons of the Anzac Bridge clearly visible.

I walk beneath the canopy of the giant fig trees on Glebe Point.

The harbourside path leads me past moored leisure vessels and beautiful waterfront residences.

The path takes me from Rozelle Bay to Blackwattle Bay, with its view of the city through the trees. Sydney Fish Market is located at the far end of Blackwattle Bay, with restaurants and cafes providing excellent alfresco dining. Alas, however, the foreshore path ends just short of there. I take a seat on a park bench and enjoy the view, before returning from whence I came. There is cloud gathering over the city.

Homeward bound now, back along the harbourside path.

Back under the splendid canopy of the mighty Glebe Point fig trees.

The pathway leads me through manicured parkland and dazzling flower beds, a riot of Springtime colour. I cross the rustic bridge across the watercourse and make my way through the palm grove. The previously threatening rain clouds have apparently blown out to sea.

The final leg of my walk, along the main avenue of Jubilee Park, and then home. I might be tempted to have another sit-down on one of the park benches before tackling those convict steps.

Thank you for accompanying me on my walk. Let’s do it again, sometime.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:01:58 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Kerry takes a Walk through the 'Hood
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »
Postcard pretty Kerry:)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:14 pm »
Great pics, Kerry!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
Kerry, I would love to do that again sometime!  The pictures are gorgeous and I enjoyed your descriptive narration.  I love being near water, it's so soothing.  Sydney is a beautiful city, for sure. 

Thanks for inviting me on your walk - you brightened my day.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

injest

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:39 pm »
how fun!!

what a creative idea...

thank you Kerry!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:32 pm »
I love it when you take us on tours through your city of Sydney Kerry. It's such a beautiful city... and country. You are so lucky to live there. But I think you already know that! ;) :D

Do you have eucalyptus trees there in Sydney? I love how they smell. We don't have eucalyptus trees here where I live. It's too cold. But I remember seeing them when I lived in Florida. Our neighbors had one in their yard. I know they have eucalyptus trees in Australia because the Koala bears feed on them, but do they grow in Sydney too? Or are you too far south for them where you live? :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:49:33 pm »
Thanks Kerry, love your 'hood!  :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:35:48 am »
Kerry, what beautiufl pictures of our beautiful Sydney........

I love it when we get the opportunity to show off our country to our overseas friends, and you have done a wonderful journey for them.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:21:38 pm »

I'm so glad you all enjoyed accompanying me on the walk through my neighbourhood.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:42:58 pm »
I love it when you take us on tours through your city of Sydney Kerry. It's such a beautiful city... and country. You are so lucky to live there. But I think you already know that! ;) :D

Do you have eucalyptus trees there in Sydney? I love how they smell. We don't have eucalyptus trees here where I live. It's too cold. But I remember seeing them when I lived in Florida. Our neighbors had one in their yard. I know they have eucalyptus trees in Australia because the Koala bears feed on them, but do they grow in Sydney too? Or are you too far south for them where you live? :)

Spot on, David. I love my home town to bits. Especially at this glorious time of year - Springtime.  :D

Most of the trees you can see in the pics I posted are varieties of eucalyptus trees, except for the palms and the fig trees. Eucalyptus trees and shrubs are absolutely everywhere in Australia. No matter where you go, you'll find a "gum" tree, as we Aussies call them. Like you, I too love the smell of them. Even though I live in Australia's largest city, there are lots of trees near my apartment building, and the scent of the eucalyptus is particularly beautiful at dusk each night, especially at this time of year. It sits heavily on the evening air. Next time you come across a eucalyptus tree, take a leaf or two and crush them between your hands. The perfume is quite exquisite.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν