Author Topic: Women Who Inspire  (Read 21302 times)

Offline lia

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Women Who Inspire
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 04:01:01 pm »
Lillian Moller Gilbreth

Wikipedia:

Lillian Moller Gilbreth (May 24, 1878 – January 2, 1972) was one of the first working female engineers holding a PhD.

She is arguably the first true industrial/organizational psychologist. She and her husband Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Sr. were pioneers in the field of industrial engineering. Their interest in time and motion study may have had something to do with the fact that they had an extremely large family. The books Cheaper By The Dozen and Belles on Their Toes are the story of their family life with their twelve children.

She served as an advisor to Presidents Hoover, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson on matters of civil defense, war production and rehabilitation of the physically handicapped.

She and husband Frank have a permanent exhibit in The Smithsonian National Museum of American History and her portrait hangs in the National Portrait Gallery.

Not only was she an engineer and psychologist, not only did she have a PhD and 22 honorary doctorates , she also brought up her many children (all of whom finished college) largely as a single mother after her husband's early death.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:27:20 pm »
I loved CBTD and BOTT when I was a kid!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:09:27 pm »
A woman who inspires me worked for the predeccesor of the CIA in Asia until her mid-thirties, when she married and started a new career. She became a household name and was even parodied on Saturday Night Live! She inspired millions of people to try new things and raised enjoyment of everyday life to new levels in a nation of drudges. Her message of moderation in all things is out of fashion now in the rush to adopt new fads but her emphasis on quality, care, and thoughtfulness endures.

Who is she?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »
Who is she?

Does she share a first name with the author of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »

Julia Childs?

Beautiful mind

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »
I do believe you are speaking of one of Boston's finest:  Julia Child. 

I have been fortunate to have met her, both here in Boston and also in California. 

She was a giant among women.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 11:30:37 pm »
She was a giant among women.

Literally as well as figuratively friend! Yes, you and Katherine and Janice are right!! I see that Julia is more well known than I thought!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:52 pm »
Literally as well as figuratively friend! Yes, you and Katherine and Janice are right!! I see that Julia is more well known than I thought!!

Well, you had me stumped for a while. The SNL reference was a good clue, though.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 01:00:34 am »
The person who inspired me most is not famous, She was a Polish Jew who survived Auschwitz. She had no hearing in one ear, because of the beatings, and no hair, all fell out through shock.

She was the mother of my best friend from age 4-18. The womans strength and beauty amazed me. She was  so forgiving,it used to put some of my petty sulks,to shame.

I remember thinking even at a young age, that if you can survive something like that, and emerge, still forgiving,then that would be a pretty good role model to copy.

I still feel that, forgiving is hard, but it sets you free. I  wonder whether it is all meant to be. I love my oldest son very much, but I have had to forgive him so many things. Not to mention a whole host of other people.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:28 am »
Harriet Tubman

She very much inspires me. :)

From Wikipedia:

Harriet Tubman (born Araminta Ross; c. 1820 – 10 March 1913) was an African-American abolitionist, humanitarian, and Union spy during the U.S. Civil War. After escaping from captivity, she made thirteen missions to rescue over seventy slaves[1] using the network of antislavery activists and safe houses known as the Underground Railroad. She later helped John Brown recruit men for his raid on Harpers Ferry, and in the post-war era struggled for women's suffrage.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.