Author Topic: Cowboy Cosmology  (Read 530510 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy Wayne
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:   Scratchtower Magazine!!   :laugh:
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2008, 01:34:11 pm »
Oh crap - dissertashun!!    :P :P ;) :laugh:
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2008, 02:24:30 pm »

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2008, 02:43:36 pm »
Meat, by Terry Bisson

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all the way through. They're completely meat."

"That's impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the stars?"

"They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in that sector and they're made out of meat."

"Maybe they're like the orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence that goes through a meat stage."

"Nope. They're born meat and they die meat. We studied them for several of their life spans, which didn't take long. Do you have any idea what's the life span of meat?"

"Spare me. Okay, maybe they're only part meat. You know, like the weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside."

"Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads, like the weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They're meat all the way through."

"No brain?"

"Oh, there's a brain all right. It's just that the brain is made out of meat! That's what I've been trying to tell you."

"So ... what does the thinking?"

"You're not understanding, are you? You're refusing to deal with what I'm telling you. The brain does the thinking. The meat."

"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"

"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal! Are you beginning to get the picture or do I have to start all over?"

"Omigod. You're serious then. They're made out of meat."

"Thank you. Finally. Yes. They are indeed made out of meat. And they've been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of their years."

"Omigod. So what does this meat have in mind?"

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the Universe, contact other sentiences, swap ideas and information. The usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat."

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio. 'Hello. Anyone out there. Anybody home.' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"

"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe, without prejudice, fear or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say? 'Hello, meat. How's it going?' But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with here?"

"Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat containers, but they can't live on them. And being meat, they can only travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim. Infinitesimal, in fact."

"So we just pretend there's no one home in the Universe."

"That's it."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you probed? You're sure they won't remember?"

"They'll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads and smoothed out their meat so that we're just a dream to them."

"A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat's dream."

"And we marked the entire sector unoccupied."

"Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others? Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?"

"Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen core cluster intelligence in a class nine star in G445 zone. Was in contact two galactic rotations ago, wants to be friendly again."

"They always come around."

"And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the Universe would be if one were all alone ..."

the end

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »
 :-\    Not sure what to think of Tim Russert. I remember being pretty clear he was a bad guy during the 2000 elections. This confirms it:

"At one point in the evening (during the presidential debate), Gore explains, Russert approached the candidates. As Gore was closest to him, Russert respectfully shook his hand and then moved on to Bush. Thinking that Gore had turned away, Russert shook Bush’s hand and, mischievously, turned over his jacket lapel to reveal a Bush campaign pin hidden under the fold."

And if you saw that TV movie last week about the stolen 2000 election, apparently Russert was the guy who got Lieberman (one of the most despicable people around in any case) to concede the election without Gore's approval and before the Florida court's decision had even been announced.

Russert seemed to support the Iraq war an awful lot when if he had just read my fricking livejournal before we started bombing he would have known that the UN inspectors under Hans Blix had just finished a thorough search of Iraq and had found that there were no WMDs.  Seems like it would take either a really stupid reporter not to know that, or a really dishonest one to try to cover it up. But they all did, and he was at least as gung ho as the rest of them.   :P   

Three years later Russert was trying to trick the audience into thinking that Cheney and Bush had never linked the Iraq invasion to 9/11.

My impression is Russert suddenly realized what an ignorant Bush supporter he had been for several years and started getting less biased over the past couple of years. Or maybe his corporate owners changed their minds about Bush and told him he didn't have to lie so much any more to protect the administration.

Oh well, anyway, he's dead now.   :-\

I am sorry to hear it. I think he was becoming a better person. For that reason, you gotta wonder of course if the Republicans poisoned him.

My condolences to the family.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #515 on: June 16, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »
Ooh this is cool. Unverified but irritatingly likely bits about ties between the Bush and bin Laden families, lifted from Fark.

All that follows is quote. Read at your own risk.

---------------

The bin Laden family, which owns substantial interest in the Carlyle Group, has made millions of dollars off of the 'War on Terror' that their boy kickstarted.

All those no-bid contracts given to defense contractors funneled money directly to the coffers of the Bush family, the bin Laden family, and other war profiteers.

That's the great irony of this situation. One bin Laden engineers the 9/11 attacks, and the rest of the bin Laden family makes millions off of it, and continues to to this very day.

Interesting that George Bush Sr was meeting with Osama bin Laden's brother Shafig bin Laden, in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Washington, on the morning of September 11 when the attacks happened (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shafig_bin_Laden).

This is a picture of Bush Sr in 2000 peddling weapons to the Saudis on behalf of the Carlyle Group. Former president turned weapons pitchman.

They quickly wisked the bin Ladens out of the country afterwards. We certainly wouldn't want to ask them about the whereabouts of their boy. Let's just wait 7 years and then start an active search instead.

As we've seen, money talks. If the Bush family receives a few hundred thousand dollars a year from the US government, and they receive tens or hundreds of millions of dollars a year from their war profiteering business, who's interests do you think they hold more dear? Well, actions speak louder than words, and we've seen that money comes before country. The Bush family sold America out.

Not to surprising, coming from a family that has been appeasing dictators since the 1930's, when Prescott Bush laundered money for Hitler's Nazi Germany.

It actually took an act of the president, President Roosevelt, to shut down Bush's bank Brown Brothers Harriman Co because even as American boys were fighting Hitler's war machine, Prescott Bush was laundering funds to the Nazis to prop up their war machine and buy more weapons to kill more American boys. Thats called putting profit before country. Others would call it treason.

The Bush family were traitors then, and they're traitors now. America comes second. Profit comes first.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2008, 11:01:26 am »
Virginia goes blue today - Congrats Truman!   ;D ;D

Electoral vote count predicted by latest polls in each state:    Obama 317   McCain 221

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #517 on: June 18, 2008, 11:44:25 am »

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:07 am »
 :o  Holy moly Florida went blue today! Course things looked good for Kerry for a while there too. Gotta savor it while it lasts.   :laugh:

Prediction based on latest polls in each state: Obama 344   McCain 194 

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2008, 12:24:54 pm »

Don