Author Topic: Cowboy Cosmology  (Read 530489 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy Wayne
« Reply #590 on: August 05, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
what you think they found Widgee?

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #591 on: August 05, 2008, 12:01:25 pm »
Perchlorate. This is interesting:

Lithium perchlorate, which decomposes exothermically to give oxygen, is used in oxygen "candles" on spacecraft, submarines and in other esoteric situations where a reliable backup or supplementary oxygen supply is needed.

See Chemical oxygen generator

This is the same stuff they use for oxygen masks on airplanes and starships.

So there's water on Mars, and there's a chemical oxygen generator too.    :D
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #592 on: August 05, 2008, 12:09:15 pm »
Sort of funny - the news coverage is focusing on this being "bad" news because perchlorate in the soil means the soil is less likely to currently contain living organisms.

There is to be a press briefing at 2pm today. We'll see if they mention the oxygen thing.      ;)

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #593 on: August 05, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »
Why, I remember Daddy sayin 30 years ago, "Maybe they'll find some kind of rock on Mars that, when combined with chemical reagents, releases oxygen."     :)

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #594 on: August 05, 2008, 01:22:10 pm »
Why, I remember Daddy sayin 30 years ago, "Maybe they'll find some kind of rock on Mars that, when combined with chemical reagents, releases oxygen."     :)

Your Daddy must have seen that movie Robinson Caruso on Mars. He did something similar.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljQi4_ZUrKU[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #595 on: August 05, 2008, 02:58:15 pm »
Your Daddy must have seen that movie Robinson Caruso on Mars.
:o   How on Earth did you find such an appropriate clip?!?     :laugh:

My Daddy said ...    :laugh:

Don

Offline Wayne

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #597 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »
:o   How on Earth did you find such an appropriate clip?!?     :laugh:

My Daddy said ...    :laugh:

When I were a young chile they put Serendipity-doo in my hair and it give me the gift!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #598 on: August 05, 2008, 03:28:48 pm »
So it was the Serendipity-doo!!   :o    ;D  I knew there was something special about you Shakes!   ;) :-*

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #599 on: August 05, 2008, 03:30:25 pm »
From the press briefing a few minutes ago ...

"We have substantial evidence that our soil samples has perchlorates." On Earth, the substances are found in the Atacama desert, a common analog for Mars study. Smith says, "They are highly stable and do not destroy life under normal conditions. In fact, there are microbes that live on the energy contained by this oxidant. In itself, it is neither good nor bad for life." (Emphasis added.)

Don