Author Topic: Cowboy Cosmology  (Read 530475 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy Cosmology
« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2008, 07:09:53 pm »
Let us know if you convert her to believing in the speed of light.   ;)

To me it's spooky that gravity has a speed.    ???

I mean, if all there was in the universe was 2 stars sitting still, and they were 1 light year apart, and then star A decided to move, the gravitational effect would not arrive at star B until a year later.    :-\ ???

Weird.

But at least light and gravity are consistent, since this would be just about exactly the same time that somebody standing on star B would see star A move.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2008, 07:54:59 pm »
Well that is a good name. I like it.

Jess, maybe you all orta stick to things you can agree on, like I am sure you all got some aent you share an opinion on.

SOmeone axed me today if I had cable tv because there was something on Oxygen I needed to see.  I said no, but I do have an uncle who is on Oxygen.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »
Well that is a good name. I like it.

Jess, maybe you all orta stick to things you can agree on, like I am sure you all got some aent you share an opinion on.

SOmeone axed me today if I had cable tv because there was something on Oxygen I needed to see.  I said no, but I do have an uncle who is on Oxygen.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well she and I dont' talk much at all anymore. And when we do talk we try to keep it as light and airy as possible.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #623 on: August 08, 2008, 10:00:43 am »
I was thinking a little more about Wolf and Anderson last night and I think I might be mistaken   :-\   :laugh:

The extra distance that the signal has to travel may not be far enough to account for the delay. The distance is something more than 12,000 miles (New York-Baghdad round trip), but even if it was 20,000 miles that would only be 20,000/186,000= about 1/9th of a second, and the delay seems longer than that.

I'm guessing there are probably some delays within the satellites etc as the message is received and then forwarded on to the next machine.

Anyhow, I still believe in the speed of light!   :laugh:

Hope y'all are having a great day     :-*
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #624 on: August 08, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #625 on: August 08, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2008, 06:00:33 pm »

Don

injest

« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2008, 06:35:19 pm »

ok this completely freaks me out, Wayne....completely.

injest

« Reply #628 on: August 09, 2008, 12:51:39 am »

injest

« Reply #629 on: August 09, 2008, 09:39:25 pm »
ok sorry Wayne but I got another conundrum...

I have a friend that lives in Australia....and SHE says it is already tomorrow there. Ok fine.. I will accept that...

but NOW she is claiming that she came to the US and GOT HERE BEFORE SHE LEFT AUSTRALIA!!

is that like messing with the whole time space continuum? What if she was watching a surveillance video of the Aussie airport..would she see herself? and what if something happened to her at the airport, would she feel it on the plane?

and then she went back and LOST a day (she says) so where was she? Where was the plane? like we were all going about our day and she wasn't 'here' with us....