Author Topic: "There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..."  (Read 35864 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Welcome to BetterMost, brach, you clearly know the BBM short story!  We're a friendly, non-adversarial lot here, for the most part, and I hope you find many more threads to interest you.  I look forward to your next posts - I bet you have a lot of insights to share.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
I think Ennis wanted to beleive that Jack died the way Lureen tells him.  I think he honestly thinks it was the tire iron.  I think my mind has changed alot since reading Ennis and Ellery.  I think that Ennis knew Jack was murdered but did not want to accept the fact he was killed because he loved another man.  Sometimes it is easier to just be in the "open space".  It is easier to deal with than reality.
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline brach

• Don't Say Much
I think Ennis wanted to beleive that Jack died the way Lureen tells him.  I think he honestly thinks it was the tire iron.  I think my mind has changed alot since reading Ennis and Ellery.  I think that Ennis knew Jack was murdered but did not want to accept the fact he was killed because he loved another man.  Sometimes it is easier to just be in the "open space".  It is easier to deal with than reality.

"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can’t fix it you’ve got to stand it. " In other words, there were things Ennis tried to believe but could never verify to a certainty because there no way to do so.

It's not that Ennis tried to believe things that were unrealistic, but that there was no way for him to be certain because he simply didn't have sufficient information to verify those things to a certainty, one way or another.

Jack father tells Ennis, "this spring [Jack’s] got another one’s goin a come up here with him and build a place and help run the ranch, some ranch neighbor a his from down
in Texas. He’s goin a split up with his wife and come back here.”

So Ennis now knew that Jack had been seeing another man. Curiously, Ennis's (primary) conclusion from this revelation from Jack's father was not that Jack had quit him for another man, but that Jack had been "ranching up" with another man and murdered because of it: We read, "So now he knew it had been the tire iron. " Of course, Ennis doesn't actually know any such thing. Ennis doesn't know any more about the circumstances of Jack's death than the reader. But Ennis had been set up since childhood to believe that the "tire iron" was the probable fate for guys that "ranched together."

The written story leaves little room for the reader to doubt that Jack's death was a real accident: We read, "Ennis didn’t know about the accident for months until his postcard to Jack saying that November still looked like the first chance came back stamped DECEASED.” It was only Ennis that didn't know for sure: "He didn’t know which way it was, the tire iron or a real accident, blood choking down Jack’s throat and nobody to turn him over. Under the wind drone he heard steel slamming off bone, the hollow chatter of a settling tire rim." Note that the story describes Ennis imagining a scene of Jack being struck with tire rim, not with a tire iron.

But the movie assaults the viewer with a heavy-handed image of Jack being struck with a tire iron. It's no wonder many viewers walk away with the conclusion that the image of Jack being struck with a tire iron was a news flash rather than an image, as Ang Lee explained, "of what Ennis was feeling at the moment." In an interview, Larry McMurtry acknowledged that Jack's death could have happened the way Lureen described it, and Diana Ossana admits that they tell people they simply don't know how Jack died. Annie Proulx said the movie's version of how Jack died, whether by tire iron or tire rim, was ambiguous to her.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:21:53 pm by brach »

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
yet another "bump to find" post :).
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..." 

Great postings on this topic. I certainly have not read the book to obtain deeper insight (although I have just ordered it!)

I just want to add that on a cognitive level, what Ennis is experiencing is called "cognitive dissonance" - the psychological tension or anxiety (or "open space") created between two incompatible thoughts or beliefs, or even between an incompatible thought and a behavior. One of the ways to reduce the tension (or "fix it") is to change your perceptions, perhaps by looking at opposing and rigidly held beliefs or thoughts in a more balanced way.  Since Ennis could not resolve (or "fix") many of the polarized thoughts or beliefs that he held, he had to continue to live in a perpetual state of tension/anxiety ("stand it").

If this line specifically pertains to his thoughts about Jack's death, then his long-held, irrational belief based upon chronic anxiety/fear (i.e. 'queer' = murder) holds firm in the face of any true or contradictory evidence (i.e. real accident).
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
 8) Cool, BBM-Cat.

So how long can a person go, living with that sort of cognitive dissonance? Twenty years? Forever?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
8) Cool, BBM-Cat.

So how long can a person go, living with that sort of cognitive dissonance? Twenty years? Forever?

Great question - yes, I think Ennis is a prime example of that. I think we all live with some cognitive dissonance (anxiety) - either we try to do something about it - try to reduce the anxiety by altering our beliefs/thoughts (healthiest way of coping) - or use other, perhaps less healthy ways of coping like avoiding (denial) or rationalization  - through less positive ways of coping the inaccurate perceptions/irrational beliefs are still there and will resurface = chronic anxiety/turmoil.

I am just so glad to have finally gotten to see BBM and again, I haven't read the book yet but cannot wait to develop a further understanding the characters. This forum is just wonderful - I've spent so many hours just reading - and I have a lot of catching up to do! Take Care.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Very cool, BBM-Cat!

I don't think I've ever heard the 'open space between' interpreted as cognitive dissonnance, but it makes sense now when I read how you explain it.  It's somewhat about what Ennis needs to believe to remain functional himself.  Nice observation!

And I agree that the short-story is a 'must-have.'  I've never known a story and subsequent movie to complement the other so perfectly.

-Lynne
 8)

--Modified for typos..-Lynne
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:38:06 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Yes Lynne - that was really well put - believing the alternative is too anxiety provoking for Ennis. I see him as forever immobilized after Jack's death because of the perpetual conflict between his thoughts, beliefs, and feelings. I can't wait to actually read the short story.

Very cool, BBM-Cat!

I don't think I've ever heard the 'open space between' interpreted as cognitive dissonnance, but it makes sense now when I read how you explain it.  It's somewhat about what Ennis needs to believe to remain functional himself.  Nice observation!

And I agree that the short-story is a 'must-have.'  I've never known a story and subsequent movie to complement the other so perfectly.

-Lynne
 8)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:36:58 pm by Lynne »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Bump!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie