Author Topic: "There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..."  (Read 36144 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
A couple months later... Bumping again!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Thanks for the bump! I think the congitive dissonance theory may be correct, but as a huge Ennis supporter in all his affectations, i am not sure he truly had CD to a level that actually caused him to immobilzie. yes, Ennis definitely saw his life on two worlds, but so do many of us. for a variety of reasons. Ennis dealt well with his 60s and 70s life in the middle of nowhere and his situation. I admire his fortitude and ability to, reasonably effectively, satisfy conflicting needs from people he cared about, all the time keeping things relatively in order and at peace.

for sure the dissonance would have been higher early on. After Jack passed, I think Ennis had absolutely clear vision on who he was/is, what Jack meant to him, what his family had meant to him, and had his life in order. This came from deep, inward thinking; and Ennis was a thinking person which he gets little credit for. "still water runs deep". That surely fits Ennis.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
This is a very good thread, why the hell don't people post in it?

Exactly the sort of thread that we need.

The closing lines of Brokeback mountain are my signature on another forum. I believe those lines and refuse to change them there.. On BM, the signature is the response which developed after exposure to BBM and its fans.

By the way, the night before it went to press AP called her editor at something like 2AM to CHANGE her closing line. This is the result!

Now if they had managed to NOT forget the damned Prologue when they printed it [that's the explanation and it's true, they FORGOT TO PUT IT IN!!!] I wonder how much greater the impact would have been....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:18:44 pm by brokebackjack »
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I think the reason why we don't post more in threads like these is that...there's some open space between what we think up and what we manage to write down in these little windows!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I do love this line. It is my favorite of the story by far.  Maybe of most of the quotes in the movie too. 
I think this line applies not only to Jack and Ennis but to everyone in their own lives. 

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
naw Lee, BM could do as good or better then  DC with these element and scene  threads, I have no doubt of that at all. We're going to do a book on the analysis we did at DC, it starts this summer after the Beyond BB book is in the stores. To NOT do it would be criminal, we did  analysis that is freakin brilliant--- from British Housewives, British professors, American writers, American grannies, NZ mothers,Aussie buds of heath, dimwits like ME. Two year project. Evan Annie proulx popped in to look at the infamous Did Jack Quit Ennis thread roflmao.{NOQUIT!!!]

NOBODY can tell me that the people I see posting on BM are incapable of it, I've seen the minds here, looked at threads nobody has posted in for 6-7 months. It's here, we're here and just....waiting.

Offline serious crayons

I think this line applies not only to Jack and Ennis but to everyone in their own lives. 

So absolutely true, Cameron!  :) :-\

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I do love this line. It is my favorite of the story by far.  Maybe of most of the quotes in the movie too. 

It surely does apply to our own lives, Cameron, and as you say most of the others resonate with us as some level too - they must, or we wouldn't be here.  For me, it's as simple as that.

This 'open space' quote, though, means worlds to me.  I use it frequently to describe what I think of as my life as it is and my life as I want it to be.  I also see it in terms of the disparity in myself at 19 versus myself at 38 - there's a lot of open space brought about in the intervening years.

To me, 'finishing the story' means to try to reduce the disparities I see between my ideals and reality.  I doubt it's possible 100%, but I do think that when I get a glimpse of myself at peace - or as close to peace as I'm capable - there is alignment between what I know and what I want to believe.  So that is my goal. 
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Lynne, that is beautiful. thanks!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Bump. 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie