Author Topic: Through the Veil of Time  (Read 84881 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Through the Veil of Time
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2007, 08:31:08 pm »
Jack’s Cincinnati Style Chili (modified from his old Joy of Cooking recipe)

3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds ground beef chuck
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
a 16-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses

spaghetti, kidney beans, chopped onion, grated Cheddar, and oyster crackers as traditional accompaniments if desired

In a large heavy kettle cook the onions and the garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are softened, add the beef, and cook the mixture, stirring and breaking up the lumps, until the beef is no longer pink. Add the chili powder, the paprika, the cumin, the coriander, the allspice, the oregano, the cayenne, the cinnamon, the cloves, and the mace and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the bay leaf, the water, the tomato sauce, the vinegar, and the molasses and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beef barely covered, for 2 hours, or until it is thickened but soupy enough to be ladled. Discard the bay leaf and season the chili with salt and pepper. The chili may be frozen or made 4 days in advance, cooled, uncovered, and kept covered and chilled. Serve the chili as is or in the traditional Cincinnati "five-way" style: Ladle the chili over the spaghetti and top it with the beans, the onion, the Cheddar, and the oyster crackers.

Makes about 8 cups, serving 6.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:07:19 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2007, 08:32:48 pm »
Cecelia Del Mar Underwood’s Wyoming Hotness

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground chuck
one 14 1/2-ounce can beef broth
one 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup raisins
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, halved
1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
2 cups cooked black beans
2 cups cooked white rice

Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add the pork and beef, and cook until browned. Drain off the excess fat.

Add the beef broth and tomatoes, squashing each tomato by hand before adding it. Stir in the vinegar, raisins, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and cook 30 minutes, partially covered. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes more. Add the olives and almonds and cook an additional 5 minutes.

To serve, place a mound of beans and a mound of rice in each bowl. Ladle the chili on top.

Serves 4 to 6.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:08:29 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2007, 08:36:50 pm »
Lureen’s White Chicken Chili

1/2 pound dried navy beans, picked over
1 large onion, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
two 4-ounce cans whole mild green chilies, drained and chopped
5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds), cooked and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup sour cream
Garnish: fresh coriander sprigs
Accompaniment: tomato salsa

In a large kettle soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches overnight. Drain beans in a colander and return to kettle with cold water to cover by 2 inches. Cook beans at a bare simmer until tender, about 1 hour, and drain in colander.
In a skillet cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat until softened.
In a 6- to 8-quart heavy kettle melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in onion and gradually add broth and half-and-half, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt, and white pepper. Add beans, chilies, chicken, and Monterey Jack and cook mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, 20 minutes. Stir sour cream into chili.
Garnish chili with coriander and serve with salsa.

Serves 4 to 6.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:08:55 am by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:40 pm »
Chrissie and Luke’s Super Easy Babysitting Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 package McCormick Chili-O mix

Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, beans, and Chili-O mix. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Serve hot. Garnishes: cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, and chopped scallions.

Serves 4.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:07:54 am by MaineWriter »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2007, 08:45:52 pm »
Hi Leslie -

I hopped over here to tell you that I was all caught up - yay! - and then I noticed you just posted Chapter 27!  What a nice "surprise!"   :laugh: 

Thank you so much for this story!  I'm so happy you decided to continue the story in the present day.  I couldn't possibly pick a favorite chapter - they were all may favorites in their own way.  But I will say that I've had a little ache in my heart throughout the story thinking of the estrangement between Jenny and Alma, especially thinking about what progress Ennis had made in a civil, sometimes even cordial, relationship with her.  I was so happy to read "Mending Fences"  - what a beautiful, beautiful chapter that was.  Your approach to Ennis's tentative reconciliation with K.E. was so real - you didn't try to sugarcoat anything - but that sense of reality is exactly what made it so uplifting and such a joy to read. 

And thank you for making your Alma such a true-to-life person.  I am anxious to hear Jenny's phone conversation with her - and how they both handle it!  I can't stand the thought of a mother cutting her child from her life - it breaks my heart for everyone involved.  But where there's life, there's hope.  Ennis has to be so very proud of Jenny for taking that first step.

As for corny and schmoopy - hey, anything involving grandchildren and grandparents has to be corny - it's in the rulebook!   :laugh:  And I did love it - every corny word of that poem!   And every word of the chapter!

The good news is I'm all caught up!  The bad news is - now there is one more person to pester you for new chapters! 

Thanks so much - Marie

Oh - I see you've just posted recipes!  Yay!  Always looking for new chili recipes! You may have inspried me to have a chili cook-off of my own! 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Scott6373

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2007, 08:30:12 am »
OhI'm dyin'  That was so sweet...I just want to be at the party with them

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2007, 12:21:57 pm »
For people who like to read on fanfiction.net, here's the link

Chapter 27. Surprise, Surprise

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3023375/27/

Leslie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:39 pm »
Jack’s Cincinnati Style Chili (modified from his old Joy of Cooking recipe)

I love Cincinnati style chili, don't get to eat it very often. When I first tasted it years ago, the spices took a bit of getting used to.

Very nice chapter - I just read it and left a comment.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2007, 12:33:37 pm »
I love Cincinnati style chili, don't get to eat it very often. When I first tasted it years ago, the spices took a bit of getting used to.

Very nice chapter - I just read it and left a comment.

Thanks for the comment, Marcia. I appreicate the feedback.

I read somewhere that cinnamon in Cincinnati-style chili identifies it as having Greek origins. Interesting...

L

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2007, 05:39:26 pm »
For people who like to read on fanfiction.net, here's the link

Chapter 27. Surprise, Surprise

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3023375/27/

Leslie

Hi Leslie !

Thanks so much for your PM!
As you can see, I received it, and here I am.   :D   hehehe
Loving your story SO much, as you already know.
Can't wait to see who wins the chili cookoff.
(And I just love picturing Jack walking around 'checkin out' all the competition.)   ;)

Thanks for a wonderful story, sweetie.   :)

'haunted' 
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx