Author Topic: Through the Veil of Time  (Read 85907 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Through the Veil of Time
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2006, 12:13:29 pm »
Hehe Kell, when I started reading the chapter, I had a brief "huh" moment too, but after their intense coupling in chapter 7, I knew this just had to be a bad dream ..:)

It is interesting to hear Jack and Ennis talk about movie-Jack and movie-Ennis..lol..

I agree with scudder that their conversations flow with such ease and intimacy, very heart warming! 

Great chapter L!

m

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2006, 07:00:45 pm »
An update to "Through The Veil Of Time."

Chapter 9. Billy Jarrett

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/22349.html

More adventures at the Lazy L Farm as the July 4th party approaches.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 07:19:24 pm »
An update to "Through The Veil Of Time."

Chapter 9. Billy Jarrett

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/22349.html

More adventures at the Lazy L Farm as the July 4th party approaches.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter

Leslie,

I liked the chapter, it was nice and refreshing. I really liked this line:

“Yeah, I do. And Ennis, I’m a traditional guy and I want a traditional life. I just want it…with a man.”

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2006, 02:47:28 pm »
An update to Through The Veil Of Time

Chapter 10. Porcupines and More

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/22721.html

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2006, 04:57:17 pm »
Excellent---thanks for sharing. :D

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2006, 06:02:38 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I heard from Leslie (MaineWriter) that there were lots of requests for my Porcupines recipe. Wow! This is just everyday food for Ennis and me, but if you folks want to make 'em, have at it. It is basically the recipe from the Joy of Cooking with a few "twists" I have added over the years. Enjoy!

Jack's Porcupines

loved by Junior, detested by Jenny, tolerated by Ennis because he ain't a cook

Mix together:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I like the Italian seasoned, by Progresso)
1/2 cup uncooked white rice (not the quick cooking kind or instant)
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
optional: 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers

note: Ennis isn't real fond of green peppers, so I usually substitute 2 tablespoons chopped onion. I also add a clove or two of crushed garlic, which wasn't in the original recipe.

Using your hands, make medium size meatballs.

To cook, you have a few choices. I usually place the meatballs in a shallow baking dish. Pour a jar (15 1/2 oz) of spaghetti sauce (I like Barilla) over the meatballs. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I'll sprinkle cheese on top for this last 10 minutes of baking. They have packages of grated cheese in the store. I like the "Italian Cheese Blend" myself. Works well for this recipe.

Alternatively, you can brown the meatballs in a skillet, then pour the spaghetti sauce over, cover and simmer until done--about 30 minutes. This adds the extra step of browning which I think is a pain in the ass. You can also just cook them in the skillet with the sauce, no browning first, but then they look a little pale, I think.

I usually serve with a tossed salad and garlic bread.

Makes enough to serve 4, or for the 2 of us, we always have leftovers.

Hope y'all like this.

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2006, 06:11:21 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I heard from Leslie (MaineWriter) that there were lots of requests for my Porcupines recipe. Wow! This is just everyday food for Ennis and me, but if you folks want to make 'em, have at it. It is basically the recipe from the Joy of Cooking with a few "twists" I have added over the years. Enjoy!

Jack's Porcupines

loved by Junior, detested by Jenny, tolerated by Ennis because he ain't a cook

Mix together:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I like the Italian seasoned, by Progresso)
1/2 cup uncooked white rice (not the quick cooking kind or instant)
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
optional: 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers

note: Ennis isn't real fond of green peppers, so I usually substitute 2 tablespoons chopped onion. I also add a clove or two of crushed garlic, which wasn't in the original recipe.

Using your hands, make medium size meatballs.

To cook, you have a few choices. I usually place the meatballs in a shallow baking dish. Pour a jar (15 1/2 oz) of spaghetti sauce (I like Barilla) over the meatballs. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I'll sprinkle cheese on top for this last 10 minutes of baking. They have packages of grated cheese in the store. I like the "Italian Cheese Blend" myself. Works well for this recipe.

Alternatively, you can brown the meatballs in a skillet, then pour the spaghetti sauce over, cover and simmer until done--about 30 minutes. This adds the extra step of browning which I think is a pain in the ass. You can also just cook them in the skillet with the sauce, no browning first, but then they look a little pale, I think.

I usually serve with a tossed salad and garlic bread.

Makes enough to serve 4, or for the 2 of us, we always have leftovers.

Hope y'all like this.

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

hey Jack welcome to Bettermost! Thank you for the recipe. It sounds delilcious!  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2006, 06:17:44 pm »
hey Jack welcome to Bettermost! Thank you for the recipe. It sounds delilcious!  ;D

If there are other recipes that catch your fancy, just let me know.

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

PS, how do you guys do all that stuff with the pictures and signatures and shit?
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2006, 09:29:01 am »
Hey, Jack?

What was that other thing you made? Something "Mongol"? "Mongolian," maybe?

You still got that recipe?

Thanks, friend!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2006, 11:39:46 am »
Hey, Jack?

What was that other thing you made? Something "Mongol"? "Mongolian," maybe?

You still got that recipe?

Thanks, friend!

Jeff -

From what I've read about Ennis' reaction, I don't think Jack still has the recipe, because it he did, Ennis would have shredded and thrown it out!   :laugh:

Jack -

I can't believe this, but I've been makin porcupines for years!  This must be a "gay thing!"   ;)

However, since I live in California and not Texas or Wyoming, I've modified the recipe so that it is more "heart healthy."  :)  I substitute 1 lb. ground turkey for the ground beef (although I know you may not want to do this since I know you have bad associations with turkey). I use egg substitute instead of the egg. Sometimes I use brown rice instead of white rice, but then the porcupines need to be cooked a little longer.  I do like your idea about the garlic and will have to try it!

I also like your idea about baking them.  I've been cooking em on top of the stove in a big saucepan, but unless I stir things up quite often, they burn on the bottom - worse than Ennis' bacon!   ;)

I use a simple spaghetti sauce and do not add cheese, again to be "heart healthy" (I want me and my pardnr to live to be 100!)

They do go well with tossed salad and bread.  Also good with cooked cabbage, unless you or your pardnr have problems with gas.  ;)

We also have leftovers.  They are good sliced (easy to do after bein refrigerated) and put in sandwiches . . . mmmmmm!   :)

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?