Author Topic: Brokeback Fever  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Brokeback Fever
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:03:05 pm »
Hi, Im still a newcomer to this board, so forgive me if i am repeating something that has been here before...

When i read the threads, from people when they first join the board, there is a common feeling amongst us all. Firstly, most did not have any idea when they first went to see the movie that it would affect them like it has, then the obsession to read as much as we could about the movie, actors, locations...everything and anything...., the longevity of this obsession, how long will it last,will i ever feel different, and most of all......WHAT AND WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??????

I have tried to analyse it myself, but couldnt find exactly what the answer was to this question...well I came up with about a hundred answers, all, logical, but in a way they still didnt answer my questions.

I found this post on another board, and its probably been on here before, but it is worth putting up again, for all the newcomers who may have not read it.

It doesnt answer all the questions, but it at least verifies that we are not alone in what we are feeling and we cant cure it, (and we dont want to)...but we can nurture it, enjoy it, have a happy life with it, and not be embarrassed about it.

Have a read, and i bet you will be intrigued that you are suffering from all the same symptoms........

nursing.advanceweb.com/common/editorial/PrintFriendly/aspx?CC=67419
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Brokeback Fever
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:05:38 pm »
Hey Katie,

Um, yeah, I know about that fever...here's a better link, maybe you want to leave a comment? I'd appreciate it.

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/19723.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:14:56 pm »
Hi, Maine Writer, your link is a better link to that memo on Brokeback Fever...thank you....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:09:14 pm »
Hi, Maine Writer, your link is a better link to that memo on Brokeback Fever...thank you....

I'm teasing you gently sweetheart...I wrote that clinical description. Yup, the doctor of feverology lives here at Bettermost...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:57:07 pm »
Your kidding me!!!!!....my jaw just dropped in amazement......

Are you really
I'm teasing you gently sweetheart...I wrote that clinical description. Yup, the doctor of feverology lives here at Bettermost...

L

I am lost for words....(and you can see from all my posts, that doesnt happen very often)....shit.....now i dont know what to say.....shit.....(sitting here flabergasted) :o

I am truely truely honoured to be able to talk to you....I first saw your memo on yahoo a while back, and i only just bumped it on there for the newcomers to read...you know bbmis(Lisa) too dont you, she told me she had emailed you a few times....

That memo or whatever you like to call what you wrote, is so good..the first time i read it i thought...."Shit, I got ALL those symptoms, how does this nurse know?"......you sure got it right, and it gave the Fever a sense of recognition...

You know if you have an illness, and think you are dying or something because some of the symptoms are strange.....then you hear from a few others around you that they have the same symptoms....so then you think "oh well, it must be a virus or something"..."im not the only one with it"....and "well at least i know its not unique to me, so im probably not gonna die"......well thats what your memo did for me....and these boards have been like a "group therapy" for me, with people who i have some empathy with.

Like I said earlier, I dont want to be cured, I enjoy having this 'virus'....and from what you wrote, i am doing the right things and normal things in managing it....

You wrote it so well, and I compliment you on that, and it is so nice to meet you, and to tell you I have long ago printed it out and handed it around some of my friends and family here in Australia......Congratulations, and thank you for writing it...

Im still amazed that i am actually writing to you...... :o :o :o

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:27:31 pm »

L

No, this can't be. First: 10 minutes ago, when I was sitting in the backyard, smoking a cigarette, exactly this essay about Brokeback-fever re-entered my mind. Don't know why it was just now, but I swear it's true. After my ciggi, I came back online to search the archive for it. And what did I see? This very thread.

Second: is it true? It was you, Leslie who did this great piece of writing? I'm around here on BetterMost for more than two months, and I have read and enjoyed ALBFS - but I didn't know that the true and hilarious Brokeback-fever essay is from you. So here comes another compliment for you: your essay about Brokeback-fever is simply amazing. Wanna kiss you right now for it  :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 06:10:28 pm »
Pent, Katie...thanks so much.

Yes, I wrote this--back in January when I was at the height of trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I'm the person I refer to who has only seen a movie twice in the theater prior to BBM...and yes, it was Titanic. The Irish sufferer is real, too. He posted his saga of the trip to Dublin on IMDb.

I think both of you know, I am a nurse, and writing something clinical was sort of a natural for me. Now I have branched out into fanfic. It has been quite the experience.

Katie--yes, Lisa (BBMIswear) wrote me about the article. Quoted chunks of it and told me her story. It was very funny. She was amazed when I wrote back and then about 6 weeks later we got together for a laugh filled afternoon at the Portsmouth Brew Pub. This is the amazing power of BBM. It just doesn't end.

Although this clinical description is written tongue-in-cheek, we all know it is very, very true.

Katie...thanks again for bringing this topic up. Considering that the movie opened 6 months ago, it is probably time that all of us revisited the fever and thought about the experience of BBM.

L

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 07:45:48 pm »
Leslie -- THANK YOU for this fantastic essay ... rarely do I get to laugh through goosebumps and tears like I just did as I read it.

Katie77 -- thanks for helping bring this essay to more BetterMostians' attention... and welcome to our world!   :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 08:09:33 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 10:56:07 pm »
Katie, thanks for starting this thread---it prompted me to re-read Leslie's essay after several months.  And guess what?  I still have the Fever!  ;)

Congrats, Leslie, on creating a classic.  And Happy Birthday, too!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:09:25 am »
Katie, thanks for starting this thread---it prompted me to re-read Leslie's essay after several months.  And guess what?  I still have the Fever!  ;)

Congrats, Leslie, on creating a classic.  And Happy Birthday, too!  :-*

Thanks Meryl!

L