Author Topic: Where did you learn about BetterMost?  (Read 26825 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Where did you learn about BetterMost?
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:51:19 pm »
As we await our listing in Google (the site is exactly one day old as of writing this), I've been trying to promote this site through unobtrusive posts about it (and signature lines on the bottom of messages).  So how did you find out about this site?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 02:29:47 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Where did you learn about BetterMost?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 01:23:56 pm »
Saw your post on Imdb.  Sounded like a good idea.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:30:49 pm »
I think a happy medium might be found if we launched a forum specifically to address coming out/sexuality issues.  My straight friends have been feeling a lot of impact from the movie as well, and it's remarkable how similar the messages of lost opportunity and enigmatic sig others have hit these people, so I don't want to cut them out.  On the sexuality issue, it's a lot harder for people to relate unless they are living it themselves, so I can see your point.

I agree a safe troll-free place to deal with sexuality issues is a great idea.  I can configure a forum for it, and could even make it a forum available only on request or even private if need be.  What do you think?

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:36:41 am »
This is more about the suggestion to have the site be gay only...I'd suggest that there be a forum devoted specifically to the LGBT community, or maybe one for each part of the community! but I really feel that the movie has impacted people from all facets of life, not just gay, and that it's important for those people to be able to use this great new site to come and share what they are going through. Even though the movie is a gay love story/tragedy, and that is really one of the most important, if not the most important thing about it, it is speaking to many people who aren't gay and who still need a safe site like this to sort out 'what next' and 'who am i,' etc.

There are a lot of people out there both gay and straight who see big parts of themselves in Jack and/or Ennis. I am one of them. The fact that I am bisexual but often let myself be visible as straight is only part of how I relate to Ennis. Basically I just want this site to be a friendly site for those who need it, whoever they are.

One other little note: I saw the link on Imdb, and went for it. I noticed you only cited 11,000 individual postings to the BBM board on imdb, but it's waaaay over that--it's more like 150,000 now. Check it and see.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:15:40 am »
This is more about the suggestion to have the site be gay only...I'd suggest that there be a forum devoted specifically to the LGBT community, or maybe one for each part of the community! but I really feel that the movie has impacted people from all facets of life, not just gay, and that it's important for those people to be able to use this great new site to come and share what they are going through. Even though the movie is a gay love story/tragedy, and that is really one of the most important, if not the most important thing about it, it is speaking to many people who aren't gay and who still need a safe site like this to sort out 'what next' and 'who am i,' etc.

These are all great points.  For the benefit of members who have actually registered for the forums, you'll find Coming to Terms, a new forum devoted specifically to sexual orientation issues. 

One other little note: I saw the link on Imdb, and went for it. I noticed you only cited 11,000 individual postings to the BBM board on imdb, but it's waaaay over that--it's more like 150,000 now. Check it and see.

Heh... I'll definitely update my information.  I think I grabbed the figure from a message someone posted there, but that could have been back around the turn of the new year.  It's incredible to see the response over there, even if the sheer number of messages and the irritating forum software they use made it literally overwhelming.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 09:38:22 pm »
I read a reference to this site on IMDb this morning. I tried Googling for the addy but got the chinese medical site. I PM'd the OP on IMDB who has yet to respond. Oh well.

Then I saw this site actually linked on IMDb. ( the .net fooled me, I was looking for the .com URL,  and as your site is 1 day old its not Googleable yet.

I'm a heavy contributor over on IMDb and am known there as Balrog20 (and CoyotePiper).

BTW, nice clean index page here. Easy on the eyes. All webs should take a clue from your design. Now to cruise around, read some posts, and get busy with making an avatar.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 10:02:25 pm »
Yes, we're a week old and still not listed anywhere in Google.  It's aggravating.  I had to settle for BetterMost.net because the .com was taken.  But to let everyone in on a secret - you can also reach this site through www.beyondbrokebackmountain.com which will land you the same place.  I was contemplating calling the site that from the outset, but NBC/Universal, which owns the rights to Brokeback Mountain, has been extremely strict on protecting their intellectual property rights and have chased after domain names that violate their trademark, and I didn't want to go down that road.

Further, since this site is really not about the movie itself but about how people are dealing with what the movie dealt them, I wasn't sure how much I wanted to invest in the name of the film itself.

I've convinced myself that branding can be done on just about any name, given time and promotion.  :-)

BTW, nice clean index page here. Easy on the eyes. All webs should take a clue from your design.

There was actually a different forum software package here during testing, but it was so clean it was sterile.  I wanted to make the site visually appealing, without overjunking it up with stuff.  The only compromise I've made on that is the commercials on the side, and am trying to get those to actually be relevant to the site.  There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff underway here I am working on in the five-six hours a day I am currently investing in the site.

Welcome aboard and thanks for making us a part of your web journeys.

Offline ib4mostthings

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 06:01:25 pm »
Hi Phillip,

I learnt about it from the IMDB board. You got a great idea here. So I'm introducing myself here, ijb4000 username on the IMDB boards. I'd love to see this forum take off in a big way.  ;D

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 06:03:30 pm »
Welcome aboard.  With participation with great people like yourself, we can only get better!

I have made a long term commitment to this site and the entire concept.  It's going to be hard work, but I think it's worth it.  Please keep contributing your ideas and thoughts.

Over time, I hope we'll all get to know each other quite a bit.

Offline emjayen

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 06:36:21 pm »
I saw your post on IMDB, and rushed right over!  I think this is a great idea, and I hope good things come of it.
I can't stand it... I want to fix it!