Author Topic: The Laundry Room  (Read 114345 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The laundry
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 03:10:01 pm »
The theory was about two kitchen scenes with bread. But I expanded it to all three kitchen scenes.

We see all three of Alma's kitchens. And in all of them we see bread. And it's wrapped every time:

Kitchen of the lonesome ol' ranch. The bread is in the white Box right to Alma's back; under the left one of the kitchen cabinets.

Kitchen of the Riverton apartment; when Ennis gets Jack's first postcard.

Kitchen in Monroe's and Alma's house; Thanksgiving blow-up

The theory is that the bread represents Ennis's sexuality, respectively Alma's knowledge of it. In the first kitchen scene, we don't see the bread, but we (the audience) know it's there. And one (Alma) can sense the bread in there, because the color of the wrapping of the bread shines a little bit through. And it's in the ranchhouse we see Ennis doing what she hates - should have been a hint to her, shouldn't it?

In the second kitchen scene the bread was still in a box, but the box was open. More was about to be revealed to Alma: the reunion kiss follows shortly after this scene.

In the third kitchen scene everything is clear and laid out, no box where the bread is hidden in. Alma is about to expose Ennis, like the bread is exposed, lying openly.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 09:16:37 am »
Thank you very much. At last I understand it and I don't have to Wonder any more!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:15 am »
I think I may have found another bread moment (what an expression, lol). It's direclty after the reunion kiss, when they go into the appartment to greet Alma. And I think this is the famous Wonder bread you've heard of.

I didn't see it as bread because I don't know the brand and it's colors. But I saw it today on another thread (in adiabatic's diagram of the Riverton appartment) and then did a google picture search for it.

I think direclty left of Alma's arm we see Wonder bread in this scene.

And here is what Wonder bread looks like:

Can someone of the US BetterMostians please verify or invalidate this?

moremojo

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2007, 11:45:08 am »
Oh yes, that's almost certainly a Wonder Bread bag in that still, though it looks like there's very little bread left in the bag...maybe a slice or two at the very bottom. It also looks like the bag is untied, open...perhaps the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, at this point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2007, 03:18:32 pm »
Great information. BTW, I read where Wonder Bread is celebrating its 85th anniversary, and moms are invited to write in and share their Wonder Bread stories. Now I have one, but I don't think it's what they had in mind, LOL!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »
Great information. BTW, I read where Wonder Bread is celebrating its 85th anniversary, and moms are invited to write in and share their Wonder Bread stories. Now I have one, but I don't think it's what they had in mind, LOL!

Well, you're a mom and you have a Wonder Bread story to tell, so go for it  :)! Maybe you'll win a prize for the most unusual Wonder Bread story  :D.

"...The Wonder Bread I searched for more than a year...."  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2007, 04:46:49 pm »
Well golleee, that does look like a Wonder Bread wrapper.  Well, hunh.

Here' my Wonder Bread story - also one I don't think they want:  When I was a child, there were lots of Wonder Bread commercials on TV, and they talked about "building strong bodies 12 ways."  And there would often be a cool time lapse-esque film of a little white girl or boy growing, growing, growing to be a teenage basket ball player or cheerleader.

I always enjoyed those commercials, and ate my squishy Wonder Bread sandwiches with gusto.  But then, as I got older, I learned the truth about white bread in general, and how poor-quality it is, nutritionally.  And I was appalled - but the commercial made it sound like it was ESSENTIAL for good health.  It was my first lesson about lying in advertising.  Of course I now know dozens, hundreds, what feels like millions of examples of lies being told publically.  But that was the first, and it hurt.  Tarnished my view of the world, you know?

moremojo

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2007, 05:10:59 pm »
But gosh, nutritional issues aside, those soft Wonder Bread slices were scrumptious to this little Texas kid. They made for the ideal peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches. Perhaps the wonder of Wonder Bread is how they made a product of dubious nutritional value taste so good!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2007, 02:02:08 pm »
After repeated viewings and readings, I hadn't thought much about this aspect until I caught your thread. 
Very well done and insightful
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2007, 03:39:08 pm »
After repeated viewings and readings, I hadn't thought much about this aspect until I caught your thread. 
Very well done and insightful

Welcome to my beautiful laundrette! Altho I'm sure Alma didn't think that way about it. I've been to Wyoming, and clothes get dirty there, even tho your not a roughneck or a ranch hand, but an ordinary tourist!!