Author Topic: The Laundry Room  (Read 114413 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The Laundry Room
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2015, 10:35:54 pm »
I wonder if Alma had to go downstairs to the laundrymat to do her family's laundry. Probably so, but that's way better than using the scrub board in the sink, like she had to do at the old lonesome ranch house!

I'd sure consider a coin-op laundry a big improvement over a washboard in the kitchen sink!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:48 pm »
I would too, especially with two toddlers in diapers and a husband who wiped his bloody nose on his sleeve and his wet hands on his pants! Not to mention the pillow/sheets.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2015, 02:17:07 pm »
I would too, especially with two toddlers in diapers and a husband who wiped his bloody nose on his sleeve and his wet hands on his pants! Not to mention the pillow/sheets.

How do you warsh sheets without a warshing machine?  ???

Must need a big warsh tub.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:34 pm »
Oh, that explains a few things, friend Chuck! I was trying to keep myself from inquiring about how you seemed to spend a big chunk of your weekend doing laundry, and now I find out that it's your time to socialize with your folks as well. So, that is a very good use of your time. Me, I toss a mixed load into the washer and do other things while it does its thing. It has a buzzer which tells me when to transfer the clothes into the dryer, which takes about a half a minute. Then, another buzzer tells me when to retrieve the clothes and put them into my closet and dresser. Time spent: maybe 15 minutes, altogether, once every two weeks.

Hiya Lee.

When it comes to my laundry, it seems to be a situation of 'six of one, half-dozen of the other'.

If I opt to do my laundry at home, it costs me $10.00, but I'm home, so I can get stuff done around the apartment.

If I opt to visit my parents, the laundry is done for free, however, I'm away from home, so anything I need to do must wait until I get back home.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:13 am »
If I should ever decide to move to a new home (except maybe an old folks' home), lack of my own washer and dryer will be a deal breaker. I've lived too long with the convenience of my own washer and dryer to go back to having to share laundry equipment.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2015, 09:24:24 pm »
what I would love to have is a dish washer, but there's no room in this kitchen.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »
what I would love to have is a dish washer, but there's no room in this kitchen.

A dishwasher I could live without, but a washer and dryer, no.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2015, 11:58:02 pm »
When I bought my first house, after 6 years in an owned apartment which we call a unit, there was a dsishwasher. After a few years I sold it as I only very ocasionally used it. 25 years later I moved to NZ and there is a dishwasher again, I had the kitchen completely remodelled, new cupboards, stove etc. so the only original piece is the dishwasher .Again not a lot of use but I am told I should run it once per month. I wash up once per day, after breakfast, and occasionally I am rushing out so there is 2 days dishes and then I use it. However I think loading and unloading is about as much effort as washing up.
Clothes washer is essential, have always had one of those. Had a drier for a few years, it was 2nd hand, given to me by my sister and broke down so I got rid of it. Hardly ever used it anyway.  As you probably know, most people in Australia and NZ dry clothes outside on the clothes line. Here in winter I often have to hang the clothes in front of the heat pump at night in winter to make sure they are fully dry.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
When it comes to my laundry, it seems to be a situation of 'six of one, half-dozen of the other'.

If I opt to do my laundry at home, it costs me $10.00, but I'm home, so I can get stuff done around the apartment.

If I opt to visit my parents, the laundry is done for free, however, I'm away from home, so anything I need to do must wait until I get back home.

But wait, you forgot to factor one important thing into the equation: the pleasure for you of seeing your parents, and for them of seeing you. That weights the scale way over to that side.

So it's more like six of one, 600 of the other.

Plus, as long as we're doing the full tally, you also save the cost of the lunch. So it's six of one, 607 of the other.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2015, 09:47:30 am »
A dishwasher I could live without, but a washer and dryer, no.

I've had both for 20 years, so it would be hard to give up.

For people who live alone, as I will be in a few years, there's such a thing as a dishwasher that's about half the length (vertically) as a regular one. It's like the top half of a dishwasher, so it doesn't require as much bending, which is important as you age, which none of us are.

But it would solve a problem I sometimes have, where I'm out of one thing, like coffee mugs or forks, but the dishwasher isn't quite full enough to run.