Author Topic: Obama Art  (Read 145297 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Obama Art
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2009, 04:06:32 pm »

This one strikes me as prophetic.  After all, one man can only do so much.  At least he's in there pitching!

I agree. I love Ted Rall (now president of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists) but I think he has been a bit hard on Obama. We shall see. http://www.rall.com/

Ted Rall

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »

Three cartoonists on Obama

Tom Toles, The Washington Post

Steve Sack, Minneapolis Star Tribune 

David Horsey, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/04/ap-accuses-shepard-fairey_n_164045.html

AP Accuses Obama Artist Shepard Fairey Of Copyright Infringement

by HILLEL ITALIE
February 4, 2009 10:39 PM EST

NEW YORK — On buttons, posters and Web sites, the image was everywhere during last year's presidential campaign: a pensive Barack Obama looking upward, as if to the future, splashed in a Warholesque red, white and blue and underlined with the caption HOPE.

Designed by Shepard Fairey, a Los-Angeles based street artist, the image has led to sales of hundreds of thousands of posters and stickers, and has become so much in demand that copies signed by Fairey have been purchased for thousands of dollars on eBay.

The image, Fairey has acknowledged, is based on an Associated Press photograph, taken in April 2006 by Mannie Garcia on assignment for the AP at the National Press Club in Washington.

The AP says it owns the copyright, and wants credit and compensation. Fairey disagrees.

"The Associated Press has determined that the photograph used in the poster is an AP photo and that its use required permission," the AP's director of media relations, Paul Colford, said in a statement. "AP safeguards its assets and looks at these events on a case-by-case basis. We have reached out to Mr. Fairey's attorney and are in discussions. We hope for an amicable solution."

"We believe fair use protects Shepard's right to do what he did here," says Fairey's lawyer, Anthony Falzone, executive director of the Fair Use Project at Stanford University and a lecturer at the Stanford Law School. "It wouldn't be appropriate to comment beyond that at this time because we are in discussions about this with the AP."

Fair use is a legal concept that allows exceptions to copyright law, based on, among other factors, how much of the original is used, what the new work is used for and how the original is affected by the new work.

Legal experts offered differing views on the Obama image.

Jane Ginsburg, a Columbia University law professor who specializes in copyright cases, questioned whether Fairey has a valid fair-use claim and says that he should have at least credited the AP.

"What makes me uneasy is that it kind of suggests that anybody's photograph is fair game, even if it uses the entire image, and it remains recognizable, and it's not just used in a collage," Ginsburg said. "I think that's pretty radical."

Robin Gross, an intellectual property attorney who heads IP Justice, an international civil liberties organization, believes that Fairey had the right to use the photo, saying that he intended it for a political cause, not commercial use.

"Fairey's purpose of the use for the photo was political or civic, and this will certainly count in favor of the poster being a fair use," said Gross, based in San Francisco. "Nor will the poster diminish the value of the photo, if anything, it has increased the original photo's value beyond measure, another factor counting heavily in favor of fair use."

A longtime rebel with a history of breaking rules, Fairey has said he found the photograph using Google Images. He released the image on his Web site shortly after he created it, in early 2008, and made thousands of posters for the street.

As it caught on, supporters began downloading the image and distributing it at campaign events, while blogs and other Internet sites picked it up. Fairey has said that he did not receive any of the money raised.

A former Obama campaign official said they were well aware of the image based on the picture taken by Garcia, a temporary hire no longer with the AP, but never licensed it or used it officially. The Obama official asked not to be identified because no one was authorized anymore to speak on behalf of the campaign.

The image's fame did not end with the election.

It will be included this month at a Fairey exhibit at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston and a mixed-media stenciled collage version has been added to the permanent collection of the National Portrait Gallery in Washington.

"The continued use of the poster, regardless of whether it is for galleries or other distribution, is part of the discussion AP is having with Mr. Fairey's representative," Colford said.

A New York Times  book on the election, just published by Penguin Group (USA), includes the image. A Vermont-based publisher, Chelsea Green, also used it--credited solely to Fairey--as the cover for Robert Kuttner's "Obama's Challenge,"  an economic manifesto released in September. Chelsea Green President Margo Baldwin said that Fairey did not ask for money, only that the publisher make a donation to the National Endowment for the Arts.

"It's a wonderful piece of art, but I wish he had been more careful about the licensing of it," said Baldwin, who added that Chelsea Green gave $2,500 to the NEA.

Fairey also used the AP photograph for an image designed specially for the Obama inaugural committee, which charged anywhere from $100 for a poster to $500 for a poster signed by the artist.

Fairey has said that he first designed the image a year ago after he was encouraged by the Obama campaign to come up with some kind of artwork. Last spring, he showed a letter to The Washington Post  that came from the candidate.

"Dear Shepard," the letter reads. "I would like to thank you for using your talent in support of my campaign. The political messages involved in your work have encouraged Americans to believe they can help change the status quo. Your images have a profound effect on people, whether seen in a gallery or on a stop sign."

At first, Obama's team just encouraged him to make an image, Fairey has said. But soon after he created it, a worker involved in the campaign asked if Fairey could make an image from a photo to which the campaign had rights.

"I donated an image to them, which they used. It was the one that said "Change" underneath it. And then later on I did another one that said "Vote" underneath it, that had Obama smiling," he said in a December 2008 interview with an underground photography Web site.

Associated Press writer Philip Elliott in Washington contributed to this report.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:06 am »

Tony Auth, The Philadelphia Inquirer

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2009, 07:16:26 pm »

Jay Directo, AFP / Getty Images
The Phillipines

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:29 am »

http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/6554

A conversation with artist Shepard Fairey
in Art & Design
on Monday, February 2, 2009

VIDEO: 14:52
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10047

What’s on Charlie Rose:
Guests:
Shepard Fairey

Shepard Fairey is a contemporary artist, graphic designer and illustrator who emerged from the skateboarding scene[1] and became known initially for his “André the Giant Has a Posse”  sticker campaign. His work became more widely known in the 2008 United States Presidential Election, specifically his Barack Obama “HOPE” poster. The Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston calls him one of today’s best known and most influential street artists. He usually omits his first name. His work is included in the collections at The Smithsonian, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2009, 12:44:06 pm »
Very nice interview!  Thanks for posting that, John.  I wish we could go up to Boston and catch Shepard Fairey's show.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:17 pm »

Very nice interview!  Thanks for posting that, John.  I wish we could go up to Boston and catch Shepard Fairey's show.  8)

Maybe we should! In the meanwhile, look:

(Also just posted in BetterMost Current Events: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31962.0.html)

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1150628

Shepard Fairey,
of Obama poster fame,
arrested in Boston

By Associated Press
Saturday, February 7, 2009
- Updated 1m ago

BOSTON — A street artist famous for his red, white and blue "Hope" posters of President Obama was arrested in Boston, where he was wanted on warrants for tagging property with graffiti.

Shepard Fairey, 38, was arrested Friday night on his way to the Institute of Contemporary Art. Fairey was scheduled to deejay a kickoff event at the museum for his first-ever solo exhibition, called "Supply and Demand."

Two warrants were issued for Fairey on Jan. 24 after police determined he’d tagged property in two locations with graffiti based on the Andre the Giant street art campaign from his early career, Boston Police Officer James Kenneally said Saturday.

Fairey, of Los Angeles, is scheduled to be arraigned on the misdemeanor charges Monday in Brighton District Court, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk District Attorney. Wark said Fairey would also be arraigned on a default warrant related to a separate graffiti case in the Roxbury section of Boston.

Fairey has spent the last two weeks in the Boston area installing the ICA exhibit, giving public talks and creating outdoor art, including a 20-by-50 foot banner on the side of City Hall, according to a statement issued Saturday by the ICA.

The museum described the reason for Fairey’s arrest as "his efforts posting his art in various areas around the city."

"We believe Shepard Fairey has made an important contribution in the history of art and to popular thinking about art and its role in society," the statement said. "We are enthusiastic to be working with him and are pleased to be showing the first museum retrospective of his work."

The museum said Fairey was released a few hours after his arrest, but that could not immediately be confirmed by authorities. A California lawyer who has represented Fairey in the copyright case didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment on the arrest.

Ginny Delany, who was at the ICA Friday night, told The Boston Globe  that Fairey’s arrest "makes him even more of a hero to me."

"The fact that he is arrested for his art shows that it is meaningful to him and he cares about what he is doing," said Delany, a graduate student from Cambridge.

Fairey’s Obama image has been sold on hundreds of thousands of stickers and posters, and was unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington in the days before Obama’s inauguration.

The image is the subject of a copyright dispute with The Associated Press. Fairey argues his use of the AP photo is protected by "fair use," which allows exceptions to copyright laws based on, among other factors, how much of the original is used, what the new work is used for and how the original is affected by the new work.

© Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »

This is...disturbing....

Smoothtransferandtakeover

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:20 pm »
Interesting...the second picture looks like Bush with more sincere eyes and mouth. It seems that the pictures are saying to be a president, you need to have close cropped hair, big ears, and regular features.
"chewing gum and duct tape"