Author Topic: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 36973 times)

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:06 pm »
I The movie still plays at midnight here in Austin, Texas

That's amazing . . . I didn't think that was still going on anywhere . . . I went to one in Madison, WI about twenty years ago . . . it was like a rite of passage . . . the same thing used to be done (in New York, anyway) with Mommie Dearest--people would dress up (like Joan or Christina or...) and bring wire hangers, cleanser, etc. . .  Never went to one of those . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2006, 12:16:57 pm »
For other I picked folk rock, Peter , Paul and Mary, etc. With a few exceptions I'm not much into country especially Wille Nelson. In fact I did not know there was another ballad at the ending credits until I saw it on a post. That one I do like. Gustavo Santaolalla's music was brillaint throughtout the film.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2006, 04:59:51 pm »
That's amazing . . . I didn't think that was still going on anywhere . . . I went to one in Madison, WI about twenty years ago . . . it was like a rite of passage . . . the same thing used to be done (in New York, anyway) with Mommie Dearest--people would dress up (like Joan or Christina or...) and bring wire hangers, cleanser, etc. . .  Never went to one of those . . .
Yes, Austin has the longest continually running Rocky Horror troupe in the world. It's been going strong since 1976. The first venue, the old Riverside Twin theatre, is now a church! The movie now plays at midnight, Fridays and Saturdays, at the Alamo Drafthouse North.

Austin is a great movie town in many ways, and especially for those into the cult-y, "psychotronic" end of the movie-going spectrum. The Alamo Drafthouse downtown has special audience-participation-friendly screenings on a regular basis, of all kinds of films.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2006, 06:09:12 pm »
Yes, Austin has the longest continually running Rocky Horror troupe in the world. It's been going strong since 1976. The first venue, the old Riverside Twin theatre, is now a church! The movie now plays at midnight, Fridays and Saturdays, at the Alamo Drafthouse North.

Austin is a great movie town in many ways, and especially for those into the cult-y, "psychotronic" end of the movie-going spectrum. The Alamo Drafthouse downtown has special audience-participation-friendly screenings on a regular basis, of all kinds of films.

Isn't "South by Southwest" also held in Austin? I believe this is where many musicians and groups have been discovered.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2006, 01:46:11 am »
Yes, quite right, David. Austin touts itself as the live-music capital of the world, and "South by Southwest" is a BIG deal here. Ironically, though I love music, I'm not much of a fan of the live music experience, and so am ignorant of much of the local scene.

Sheesh. Indianapolis touts itself as being the "Amateur Sports Capital of the World". 

With the exception of basketball, I'll take music over sports anytiime!   :D

Hopefully one of these days I'll make it back to your fair city of Austin. I'd love to see "South By Southwest" in person.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2006, 08:42:42 pm »
Maybe we could even try to organize an Austin Brokie get-together, along the lines of the smash success that just transpired in Boston.

That would be fun. Austin isn't really all that far from Indianapolis... about 900 miles (18 hour drive) I think... or a quick two hour flight.

It's all good! :D

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2006, 08:54:01 pm »
Alternative Rock (soft rock)

Evanescence is my nirvana. Their music is very cathartic, ecspecially Solitude, which is also devastating. It tells my story, and its my favorite song of all time.

I also like
Coldplay
U2
Snow Patrol

all can be defined as soft rock sometimes. Coldplay/Snow Patrol are about popish, though
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2006, 09:15:19 pm »
Recently I've been listening to The Shins, Sajan Dan Stevens, and Death Cab for Cutie, due to the influence of my daughter, Front-Ranger Jr.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2006, 09:40:44 pm »
Alternative Rock (soft rock)

Evanescence is my nirvana. Their music is very cathartic, ecspecially Solitude, which is also devastating. It tells my story, and its my favorite song of all time.

???

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2006, 10:14:24 pm »
MUSIC
Female vocalists: Sarah McLaughlin, Cat Power, Fiona Apple, and Dido
Male vocalists: Ben Harper, Ben Kweller, Elliott Smith
Groups: Death Cab for Cutie, The Weepies, Cowboy Junkies, The Shins,
Oldies: “Happy Jack” by The Who; “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears, “Don’t Dream it’s Over” by Crowded House, “Without You” and “Me and my Arrow” by Nilsson
And: Pat Metheny – Café Del Mar – Sueno Con Mexico, the original soundtrack from “Donnie Darko”, “Music for a Found Harmonium”
………… to name a few. I like VARIETY! cc33  8)