Author Topic: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 37285 times)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2006, 12:31:07 am »
I love jazz fusion by such artists as Boney James, Marc Antoine, Fourplay.  I absolutely love Disco, 70's "bedroom" jazz as I call it, performed by such greats as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield.  I own a lot of R&B and even some blues by such artists as Etta James, John Lee Hooker.  I don't know if anyone mentioned Gospel, but I love gospel music, having been brought up listening to Shirley Caesar, Edwin Hawkins, Rance Allen, The Mississippi Mass Choir.  I even sang in a gospel choir as a teen.

HI Littlewing!!  Nice to see you.  ;D

Oh, Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield are GREAT!  And I have a huge thing for Etta James.  Well that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean.  David and I fell in love with her when we heard her sing Bad to the Bone!  *swoons*  My manager borrowed one of my Etta CD's and I had to ask several times for it's return.  I think he wanted to keep it!  LOL  I must have all her CD's at work or I'd have included her above.  I'm not as aquainted with gospel but I like it too. 

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 12:34:01 am »
Hehe - I was being facetious.   :P
~Larz

Larz - You might have been, but I wasn't! It was funny because people always wondered what I was saying. They were afraid I was talking about them! :D  Was it mean? Maybe! But it sure was fun!

Uhm I wasn't thinking of a bar on Wash. It was between Penn and I think 12th on the South-west corner.  I'll have to ask Jacki.  I cut off my mullett (yeah-laugh it up!) after being there and noticing that only the girls wore their hair that way.  Also found that my wallet was smaller than a lot of theirs.   ::)
~Larz

If it was around 12th and Pennsylvania, it probably was the Hunt and Chase. I'm still trying to remember the name of that bar on Washington Street. Dammit! Don't worry! I'll think of it. It might take a day or two, but I'll remember sooner or later! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2006, 12:44:15 am »
Larz - You might have been, but I wasn't! It was funny because people always wondered what I was saying. They were afraid I was talking about them! :D  Was it mean? Maybe! But it sure was fun!

No, not mean.  Perhaps a bit discourteous at worst. MUAHAHAHA  ;)  Actually that's one of the reasons I'm going to learn Spanish.  Sneaky.

If it was around 12th and Pennsylvania, it probably was the Hunt and Chase. I'm still trying to remember the name of that bar on Washington Street. Dammit! Don't worry! I'll think of it. It might take a day or two, but I'll remember sooner or later! ;)

So you decided to let the mullet and wallet comments pass?  Very diplomatic.

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2006, 12:54:33 am »
Was that bar on Washington Street called The Ruins?

Regarding the mullet and wallet, hey, I am a diplomatic kind of guy!! :D

No wait, The Ruins was another lesbian bar.

I'll think of it! :)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2006, 01:01:56 am »
Seems like I'd heard of The Ruins.  [giveup]

Ok, just lost my glass slipper while running for the carriage.  Yikes - I have to get up in 4.5 hours.  See ya

~Larz

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 01:22:31 am »
This thread went a little OT for awhile. I'm sorry about that.  I'm going to make a feable attempt to get things back ON TOPIC again. :)

According to  the poll, it looks as if the Bettermost Community enjoys a little bit of everything!

I also added Gospel to the list. If anyone wants to go back and change their vote, I THINK it will let you (assuming I set this poll up correctly).

I can't believe I left out Gospel!

Thanks Littlewing for bring up Gospel. It is one of my favorite forms of music. :)

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2006, 06:46:57 am »
This thread went a little OT for awhile. I'm sorry about that.  I'm going to make a feable attempt to get things back ON TOPIC again. :)

Sorry David and everyone. That was my fault.   :-X 

Nice addition, David!   ;D

~Larz

Offline tomtrueman

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2006, 05:09:15 pm »
Actually, I like the BEST of so many different kinds of music that it's easier to say what kinds I DON'T like.  My least favourite, probably because I don't even classify it as "music", is rap.  To me, if you can't whistle it, it doesn't qualify as music because music without a melody is just noise.  Rap is just ranting, with an irrelevant loop playing in the background.

Heavy metal, with people screaming at the top of their lungs, is hard on the ears.  I like "smooth jazz", the relaxing, easy-listening kind.  I probably listen to it most on the radio -- but I HATE free-form jazz where everyone plays any old note apparently at random, except the ones in the tune.  I love some of the country "hurtin' songs" that sound like folk poetry, straight from the heart.

And I've been to Istanbul three times in three years, and love MOST Turkish pop music I've heard, because it's so interesting to listen to, with melodies that do neat and unexpected things.  It makes so much pop music that's in English sound really bland.  I've got nearly 50 CDs of it, now.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2006, 07:33:06 pm »
Actually, I like the BEST of so many different kinds of music that it's easier to say what kinds I DON'T like.  My least favourite, probably because I don't even classify it as "music", is rap.  To me, if you can't whistle it, it doesn't qualify as music because music without a melody is just noise.  Rap is just ranting, with an irrelevant loop playing in the background.

Heavy metal, with people screaming at the top of their lungs, is hard on the ears.  I like "smooth jazz", the relaxing, easy-listening kind.  I probably listen to it most on the radio -- but I HATE free-form jazz where everyone plays any old note apparently at random, except the ones in the tune.  I love some of the country "hurtin' songs" that sound like folk poetry, straight from the heart.

And I've been to Istanbul three times in three years, and love MOST Turkish pop music I've heard, because it's so interesting to listen to, with melodies that do neat and unexpected things.  It makes so much pop music that's in English sound really bland.  I've got nearly 50 CDs of it, now.

Tom - If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you pretty much like anything that doesn't make you want to rip your ears off when you listen to it.

I'm the same way. :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2006, 09:58:36 pm »
Oh yeah and I love the Eagles too...