Author Topic: Favorite Quotations  (Read 21967 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Favorite Quotations
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:58:26 am »

I'm hoping that this thread will become a running collection of quotations either by or about women... or with messages that have relevance or resonance with a feminist frame of mind and women's perspectives generally.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Favorite Quotations
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:00:51 am »

I'll start with...

"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

If you've ever heard Gloria Steinem give a lecture or speak at a rally... you might recognize this quotation since she often uses this as a "call to action" so to speak.
:)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:53 am »
Hi, Amanda, great thread.

Speaking of Gloria Steinem, here's one of my favorites of hers:

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:20:47 pm »

Thanks Buds!!!  These are great!  :-*

"Failure is impossible."  Susan B. Anthony

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:21:51 pm »

"Your silence will not protect you." - Audre Lorde

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »
And... here's one more for tonight. 

Quoting Virginia Woolf can be hard because of her stream-of-consciousness style and unconventional sentence structure.  But, she's pretty much my favorite writer.  In her literature she deals with so many aspects of women's lives, relationships and thought processes in such subtle ways... to me it's just amazing.  In her polemical writing like A Room of One's Own,she's much more straightforward in her language, questions, etc.  But, I think this is such a great passage from To the Lighthouse (1927) where a mother raised in the Victorian age is contemplating her daughters of the Edwardian age/ early 20th century during a dinner party...

"They must find a way out of it all.  There might be some simpler way, some less laborious way, she sighed.  When she looked in the glass and saw her hair grey, her cheek sunk, at fifty, she thought, possibly she might have managed things better - her husband; money; his books.  But for her own part she would never for a single second regret her decision, evade difficulties, or slur over duties.  She was now formidable to behold, and it was only in silence looking up from their plates, after she had spoken so severely... [to] her daughters, Prue, Nancy, Rose - [who] could sport with infidel ideas which they had brewed for themselves of a life different from hers; in Paris, perhaps; a wilder life; not always taking care of some man or other; for there was in their minds a mute questioning of deference and chivalry, of the Bank of England and the Indian Empire, of ringed fingers and lace..."

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:57:52 pm by atz75 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:10 am »

“Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve their reputation or social standards never can bring about reform. Those who are really in earnest are willing to be anything or nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathies with despised ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.”
-Susan B. Anthony

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:48:03 am »
I love these quotes!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 03:38:22 am »
I love these quotes!

Thanks Sister Mod!  :D 

Definitely feel free to add your own favorites here too!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:18:31 am »
"The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, 'It's a girl.' " 

~Shirley Chisholm

That's great Scott!  It's also interesting to think of the flip side of this being just as true... stereotyping for boys starts with the doctor's declaration too.

OK, more from Woolf:

"And, determined to do my duty by her as a reader if she would do her duty by me as writer, I turned the page and read... I am sorry to break off so abruptly.  Are there no men present?  Do you promise me that behind that red curtain over there the figure of Sir Chartres Biron is not concealed?  We are all women, you assure me?  Then I may tell you that the very next words I read were these -- 'Chloe liked Olivia...'  Do not start.  Do not blush.  Let us admit in the privacy of our own society that these things sometimes happen.  Sometimes women do like women."

-from A Room of One's Own, 1929 (based on two papers delivered as lectures in 1928)