Author Topic: Favorite Quotations  (Read 21968 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Favorite Quotations
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 04:01:03 pm »

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."
-Katharine Hepburn

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »

Queen Elizabeth I

"They are most deceived that trusteth most in themselves."
to Edward Seymour, Lord Protector of King Edward, 1549,

"Do not tell secrets to those whose faith and silence you have not already tested."
to Erik, King of Sweden, in 1561.

"I would rather be a beggar and single than a queen and married."
to the Ambassador of the Duke of Wurtemberg, 1564.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:31 pm »
"My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine."

--Tallulah Bankhead

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:28 pm »
"My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine."

--Tallulah Bankhead

:laugh: Thanks for reviving this thread Paul!  :-* 

Various quotations by Lily Tomlin:

"Don't be afraid of missing opportunities. Behind every failure is an opportunity somebody wishes they had missed."

"Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past. "

"I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain."

"I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:34 pm »
"Call it destiny, purpose, a higher order, or higher power. Call it self-knowledge that can only be revealed through living. It will have different names for each of you. In this moment of stillness, I want to assure you that the deeper current is there, that if you are quiet enough you can hear it of feel it."

~Amy Martin, address to graduating Mt. Holyoke women, 2003
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

One of my all time favorites.

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »
"Is solace anywhere more comforting than that in the arms of a sister.”
-Alice Walker

I really like this one.  Thanks for posting it.
 :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »
I really like this one.  Thanks for posting it.
 :-*

Thanks Bud!  Glad you liked it.

Here are some from Mary Wollstonecraft (British, 1759-1797), author of Thoughts on the Education of Daughters (1787), A Vindication of the Rights of Men (1790), History and Moral View of the Origins and Progress of the French Revolution (1793) and most famously,A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792).  She was also the mother of Mary Shelley (of Frankenstein fame).

One of Wollstonecraft's main arguments through a lot of her writing was that typical education for girls and women, such as it was in the late 1700s, only trained them to be submissive or to be ornamental.  And this basic concern is seen in some of these quotations.

"I do not wish [women] to have power over men; but over themselves."

"The divine right of husbands, like the divine right of kings, may, it is hoped, in this enlightened age, be contested without danger."

"Women ought to have representatives, instead of being arbitrarily governed without any direct share allowed them in the deliberations of government."

"If the abstract rights of man will bear discussion and explanation, those of women, by a parity of reasoning, will not shrink from the same test."

"If women be educated for dependence; that is, to act according to the will of another fallible being, and submit, right or wrong, to power, where are we to stop?"

"Taught from infancy that beauty is woman's sceptre, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison."

"Virtue can only flourish among equals."

"Women are degraded by the propensity to enjoy the present moment, and, at last, despise the freedom which they have not sufficient virtue to struggle to attain."

"Women have seldom sufficient employment to silence their feelings; a round of little cares, or vain pursuits frittering away all strength of mind and organs, they become naturally only objects of sense."

"Women are systematically degraded by receiving the trivial attentions which men think it manly to pay to the sex, when, in fact, men are insultingly supporting their own superiority. "

"Strengthen the female mind by enlarging it, and there will be an end to blind obedience."

"Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose - a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. "

"Independence I have long considered as the grand blessing of life, the basis of every virtue; and independence I will ever secure by contracting my wants, though I were to live on a barren heath. "