Author Topic: Life (and this movie) are full of contradictions!  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Life (and this movie) are full of contradictions!
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:27:12 pm »
There are many examples of dicontinuity and conflicting ideas in the movie and story Brokeback Mountain. For instance, the movie starts out with Ennis and Jack meeting and clearly being interested in one another but not saying anything and studiously ignoring each other.

The story starts out, "They were raised on small poor ranches in opposite corners of the state..." (I'm talking the New Yorker version that has no prologue here.)

It is characteristic that Ang Lee chooses to show discontinuity through human interaction, while Annie Proulx chooses geographic discontinuity.

What do these examples communicate? What are your favorite examples of conflict and discontinuity?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:17:30 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Conflict and Discontinuity
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
I love the use of the F word in entirely different ways,At the reunion, Ennis uses it as a positive reaffirmation,In their last trip, Jack uses it or a version of it,as a complete opposite, it is a desperate almost throwing in the towel.

So just one word, used albeit in 2 slightly different forms by Jack and Ennis, serves to underline the ongoing conflict between the two.It is interesting that in these instances, the use by Ennis is optimistic, whereas Jack's use is quite the reverse.
It is an example of the role reversal that occasionally occurs with the two.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:06 am »
That's a good point, friend. And late in the movie when Ennis says, "You're a real thinker there. Jack f**king Twist" is another example!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:51 am »
That's a good point, friend. And late in the movie when Ennis says, "You're a real thinker there. Jack f**king Twist" is another example!

Oh that's an even better example.
 Same three words, said by Ennis both times,"Jack f---ing Twist" One time with utter joy and sheer abandon, and the next bordering on sarcasm.
Maybe those three words in some way, represent the words we all (well me anyway) wanted to hear Ennis say to Jack.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Life (and this movie) are full of contradictions!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »
Please note I changed the title of this topic to more accurately reflect the ideas I am trying to get across. Please post with your favourite contradictions from the movie!