Author Topic: Anyone see 'Superman'? What did you think? **SPOILER THREAD**  (Read 10619 times)

dmmb_Mandy

Re: Anyone see 'Superman'? What did you think? **SPOILER THREAD**
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 08:06:02 pm »
Kevin Spacey is gay? Huh?

I saw Superman yesterday evening and I was slightly dissappointed. I liked it but I didn't love it. To me, it was just okay. I found myself looking at my watch a few times and long movies aren't usually a problem for me. I liked Brandon Routh (he's gay too?) as Superman. He acted well. He's cute but not really my type. He's too polished for me. I thought Kate Bosworth was weak as Lois Lane. Overall, though, I was mildly entertained.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 08:09:29 pm »
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
But I do like that Superman knows without even being told. His echoing his father's words to his son was surprisingly moving for me, or maybe I was just enchanted by Routh's beautiful face.

Actually star, he was told.  By Lois.  In the hospital when she leans down to whisper in his ear.  I'm fairly certain that's where that comes from.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 08:44:26 pm »
Actually star, he was told.  By Lois.  In the hospital when she leans down to whisper in his ear.  I'm fairly certain that's where that comes from.

I guess we won't know what she actually tells him, but it's possible. My thought was that he could tell that the boy's physiology was different from human's, just as he was able to tell that Lois was okay by scanning her.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 10:03:07 pm »
I guess we won't know what she actually tells him, but it's possible. My thought was that he could tell that the boy's physiology was different from human's, just as he was able to tell that Lois was okay by scanning her.

You would have thought.  IMO this was the weakest part of the story.  The kid is sickly.  You see this and Lois tells Clark this at the beginning of the movie.  To me, that means the kid has been to many doctors.  Obviously if the kid's physiology is a little off from human, I think the doctors might have noticed.

If the boy Jason has even half of Clark/Superman's power, wouldn't it have manifested itself earlier in life?

It's the same weakness from "The Hulk".  Bannon changes when he gets angry.  He must have had a very very very calm childhood.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 07:10:18 am »
Kevin Spacey is gay? Huh?

Yeah hunny... talk to rt about that..  :P
Chut up!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 07:14:49 am »
maybe I was just enchanted by Routh's beautiful face.

*sigh*

I hear ya...

And yeah, I was very moved by the father/son speech as well. I know some people who HATED the recycled dialogue from the original film, but I thought it was a nice touch. And of course, being spoken by such a beautiful looking man definitely helps.  :P  (that's me licking my lips btw)

Although, i agree with Del - there are a lot of "please explain" moments with Lois's kid. It wasn't dealt with very well in the cinema release. I would like to think that there are a whole lot of scenes that help that simply had to get cut because of the film's already impressive length and that the DVD might help shed some light. Or maybe they WANT it ambiguous to entice us back for the sequel.

Mind you I wouldn't care if the sequel was 2 and a half hours of nothing but Brandon Routh flying in slo-mo...  ;D

*goes giddy at the thought*

*dies*
Chut up!

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 02:05:21 pm »

Mind you I wouldn't care if the sequel was 2 and a half hours of nothing but Brandon Routh flying in slo-mo...  ;D

I totally agree!  I just saw the movie last night, and my thoughts mirror those of many of you, but especially Sheyne!  I found myself getting impatient with scenes that did NOT have Brandon in them.  I didn't care for this portrayal of Lois (not the actress's fault) and there were a few plot questions.  The effects were stunning, Kevin Spacey captured the essence of Lex---  BUT....  all I could do was anxiously wait for the next frame of film that contained Brandon.  Yeah, that's right, I'm a lecherous old horndog.  And if he IS gay, all the better---   that way, when I meet him  ::) and he turns down my advances, it won't be because I'm an overweight woman old enough to be his mother, it will simply be because he has a preference for men.   ;D  See?  Ego intact.  (Ha!)  As I was coming back through the lobby afterwards I was admiring all the different posters of Brandon the Superman movie, and the young assistant manager offered me TWO of the 11.5"x17" posters.  I may have to put them in a different room from my Jack & Ennis stuff... my brain might shortcircuit otherwise.
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 02:09:55 pm »
Lucky dog! Melinda. 2 posters! Did you ask for them? or did the asst mngr recognize you from before and offered them automatically?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 02:25:54 pm »
Aw, Nipith, cut it out!  :laugh:  NO, he didn't recognize me, and NO it wasn't the same theater where I got my BBM things.  My BBM posters and mylars came from the Embarcadero, the Sequoia in Mill Valley, and the Aquarius in Palo Alto.  I'm trying to tell you guys, it never hurts to ask!.  Last night I was at the Crow Canyon (Regal) theater in San Ramon.  'Superman' was playing at closer theaters, but Crow Canyon has one of those bigger, curved screens that I knew would be perfect for seeing Br..  Superman on.  (IMAX is too much, makes me queasy)   I did ask if they'd be giving away the big posters, and he said I might be able to get one at the end of the run, but the employees usually snag them first (his words)--   so, he offered me the smaller ones 'to tide me over'!

I'm looking at one right now, and it is doing a sufficient....  no, excellent job of 'tiding'  ;) .
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 04:27:14 pm »
I should do that with "Cars" or "Over the Hedge" and give them to my niece and nephew as presents. I think they'd get a kick out of that.