Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?  (Read 57229 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 01:59:49 am »
I have the George C. Scott version on DVD Marie! I bought it at Wal-Mart. :)

I'll bet they'll have it for sale again this year too! There is a special story attached to that movie. I'll tell you about it in a PM in the next day or two, okay?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

retropian

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 04:24:55 am »
"A Christmas Memory", a short story by Truman Capote. Maybe one of his best. Quite autobiographical. Based on his childhood relationship with his elderly "aunt" Sook, who I think remained a child her whole life. The film version(1966) stars Geraldine Page as Sook and it is narrated by Truman himself.  It's very simple and effective. It's not a traditional Christmas story at all. Now that I think of it, I think it shares some qualities with Brokeback Mountain. It's a short story set in the past, the 1930's in this case. The friendship between the young Truman and Sook is somewhat frowned upon, neither of them are quite accepted as they are. The story does not wallow in sentimentality, but it is wistful and sad. Not a traditional Christmas story in the way BBM was not a traditional love story.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »
I have the George C. Scott version on DVD Marie! I bought it at Wal-Mart. :)

I'll bet they'll have it for sale again this year too! There is a special story attached to that movie. I'll tell you about it in a PM in the next day or two, okay?

Thanks, David.  I look forward to hearing your story.  Walmart has this particular DVD on sale in a 4 pack with other Xmas movies that I'm interested in buying.  I'll probably pick them up in a day or so.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 06:07:05 pm »
"A Christmas Memory", a short story by Truman Capote. Maybe one of his best. Quite autobiographical. Based on his childhood relationship with his elderly "aunt" Sook, who I think remained a child her whole life. The film version(1966) stars Geraldine Page as Sook and it is narrated by Truman himself.  It's very simple and effective. It's not a traditional Christmas story at all. Now that I think of it, I think it shares some qualities with Brokeback Mountain. It's a short story set in the past, the 1930's in this case. The friendship between the young Truman and Sook is somewhat frowned upon, neither of them are quite accepted as they are. The story does not wallow in sentimentality, but it is wistful and sad. Not a traditional Christmas story in the way BBM was not a traditional love story.

I've read the short story, but have never seen the movie. The story is very charming and heart-warming, if sad. I like their trek to get whiskey for fruitcakes from Mr. Haha Jones. Sweet story. And a glimpse into the sad and unsettled life of Truman Capote--this chapter must have been one of his favorites spent with his friend who was -- while much older -- close to his mental age and a good playmate for him. I'll have to see the movie. I've heard that the old version is better than the new one.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 06:58:37 pm »
David did a poll of favorite Christmas movies last year:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6623.0

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »
the 1945 version of "The Cheaters" with Billie Burke, Josef Schildkraut, and Eugene Pallette.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037588/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 07:04:55 pm »
Are we allowed to make lists? :D

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott
The Preacher's Wife
Home Alone
Steel Magnolias (I realize this isn't necessarily a Christmas movie, but try watching it as you're wrapping presents and you'll see what I mean!)
Prancer
The Santa Clause (I love Tim Allen!)
A Christmas Story
The Littlest Angel (Does anyone remember this one? I haven't seen it in years.)
The House Without A Christmas Tree
A Christmas Carol With Alistair Sim

David, I remember The Littlest Angel!  With Johnny Whitaker from "Family Affair".  I must have been 6 years old when I saw this.  I wonder if it's available now.

I just saw The House Without a Christmas Tree at Barnes & Noble on DVD.  When I was in 6th grade, our class put this on as our Xmas play.  We actually went over to our teacher's house to watch it together, take notes, and we wrote our own script.  Memories!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 12:47:39 am »
David did a poll of favorite Christmas movies last year:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6623.0

THANK you.  I've been wondering, "Haven't we had this conversation?"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:41 am »
David, I remember The Littlest Angel!  With Johnny Whitaker from "Family Affair".  I must have been 6 years old when I saw this.  I wonder if it's available now.

I just saw The House Without a Christmas Tree at Barnes & Noble on DVD.  When I was in 6th grade, our class put this on as our Xmas play.  We actually went over to our teacher's house to watch it together, take notes, and we wrote our own script.  Memories!

Yup! That's the one Paul! I'm glad you remember it. I also remember watching it on TV when I was a youngster. They played it for several years and then I never saw it again. Like you, I also wonder if it is on DVD. It was one of my favorite Christmas shows as I was growing up. :D

In addition to Family Affair and the Littlest Angel, I also fondly remember Johnny Whitaker in the movie "Tom Sawyer" with Jodie Foster.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 11:00:36 am »
I have a special fondness for The Homecoming, which is the movie upon which "The Waltons" was based.  The movie had different actors playing Olivia and John - Patricia Neal (LOVE her) and ... some guy.  Everyone else was the same as in the TV show, I think.

I wonder if they'll show it this year, since it's about the Great Depression, and how this huge family is trying to scrape out an existence in the mountains of West Virginia, and how their Dad makes a long trip into the nearest big town to buy Christmas presents for the family and doesn't return.  As the panic starts to set in, it's interesting to see how each of the family members copes with the thought that he may not come back.

On a lighter note, I also love Scrooged, A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out, kid!), and Christmas Vacation.

And I cry every damn time the Grinch's heart grows three sizes that day.
No more beans!