Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?  (Read 57239 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 01:22:39 pm »
Hey Barb, I just looked up The Homecoming on IMDb.  The "some guy" playing John Walton was Andrew Duggan.  Also, Grandpa was played by Edgar Bergen (father of Candace, and famous ventriloquist with Charlie McCarthy).

Interestingly, they list the Bridger-Teton National Forest, Jackson, Wyoming as the filming site!

I just saw the DVD at Barnes & Noble the other day.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:36 pm »
Hey Barb, I just looked up The Homecoming on IMDb.  The "some guy" playing John Walton was Andrew Duggan.  Also, Grandpa was played by Edgar Bergen (father of Candace, and famous ventriloquist with Charlie McCarthy).

Interestingly, they list the Bridger-Teton National Forest, Jackson, Wyoming as the filming site!

I just saw the DVD at Barnes & Noble the other day.

Ooh!  I may just have to make a stop at B & N one of these days.  :)
No more beans!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:38 pm »
Ack!

I remember when they first aired "The Homecoming", we were in the middle of watching it when my baby brother came staggering home, having walked half a mile from the scene of a car accident which later put him in the hospital in a coma, and injured my mother, my older brother and younger sister.  When I saw my little brother I was horrified, and I never, ever saw the end of "The Homecoming."  Everyone did recover from the accident, and the other party, neighbors from up the street, were charged with reckless driving.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »
Wow, Louise, what a horrible association to have.  I'm glad yours had a happy ending.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:42 pm »
Wow, Louise, what a horrible association to have.  I'm glad yours had a happy ending.

my brother hovered in a coma for 5 days, and those were the worst 5 days I ever remember.  My mother, who is by nature a stoic, kept bursting out crying saying "My baby is dying, my baby is dying!"  This, from an R.N., was extremely disturbing.  However, we did learn who the favorite in the family was.  :)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:13 pm »
Wow.  So sorry to have drudged that one up for you, Louise.  Here - let me give myself a paper cut, and you can pour lemon juice on it.

;)

No more beans!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 02:08:32 pm »
"A Christmas Memory", a short story by Truman Capote. Maybe one of his best. Quite autobiographical. Based on his childhood relationship with his elderly "aunt" Sook, who I think remained a child her whole life. The film version(1966) stars Geraldine Page as Sook and it is narrated by Truman himself.  It's very simple and effective. It's not a traditional Christmas story at all. Now that I think of it, I think it shares some qualities with Brokeback Mountain. It's a short story set in the past, the 1930's in this case. The friendship between the young Truman and Sook is somewhat frowned upon, neither of them are quite accepted as they are. The story does not wallow in sentimentality, but it is wistful and sad. Not a traditional Christmas story in the way BBM was not a traditional love story.

I'm off to Netflix to see if I can rent that one.

Highly recommend A Christmas Memory.  The late Rev. Kennedy Shultz, my minister back at the Atlanta Church of Religious Science, used to read that aloud the Sunday before Christmas.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 02:30:22 pm »
Its not nec my favourie but saw The Holiday last yr with Kate Winslet & Cameron Diaz. It was VG!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 03:54:51 am »
Its not nec my favourie but saw The Holiday last yr with Kate Winslet & Cameron Diaz. It was VG!

Yeah, I liked that one too.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »

Yeah, I liked that one too.

And me.  But I did wonder why Cameron Diaz got Jude Law and the also ravishing Ms. Winslet got - Jack Black.  ??? :-\

Were there no other handsome American actors available for his part?