Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100150 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:36 am »
Tell you what, when I'm in a particularly cranky mood (happens a lot lately  ;D ) I even tend to get annoyed with, "How are you?"

I get asked this a lot. Seems that "hello" is not considered enuff ennimore. It always makes me stop and do a self-inventory. I suddenly realize I've been running on automatic pilot. I usually answer either "It's too early to say" or "I guess I will make it to the finish line." Or I'll say "I'm vertical...that's enuff for now."

Then there are beautiful days (like today, when it's 50 degrees and a lovely sunrise) when I say, "I'm great...who wouldn't be on a day like this?" It's probably good we don't work together, friend Jeff. You would find me impossibly chirpy.

Maybe I should have filed this one under "Bitch, bitch, bitch"?

Or is it "Bee-yotch, bee-yotch, bee-yotch"?  ;D
hehe! :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:36 pm »
It's probably good we don't work together, friend Jeff. You would find me impossibly chirpy.

Probably. I don't do "chirpy" before 10 a.m., and even then only after a lot of coffee. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »
I kind of like it when I'm, say, passing a stranger on the sidewalk, and they say, "How's it going?" But even "hi" is fine. What I don't like is when I pass someone -- I don't mean on a crowded sidewalk, but when the two of us are the only ones around -- and they don't say anything, or even make eye contact.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
Or if you're in Wyoming, friend. I've seen you positively crowing there!

What I don't like is when I pass someone -- I don't mean on a crowded sidewalk, but when the two of us are the only ones around -- and they don't say anything, or even make eye contact.

Yes, I hate to feel invisible myself too. And it happens more and more as I get older. Sometimes I get the urge to head south where people are friendlier when that happens to me too much.

Another thing I do is stare at people if they refuse to look at me. I figure they deserve it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2008, 02:42:40 pm »
Yes, I hate to feel invisible myself too. And it happens more and more as I get older. Sometimes I get the urge to head south where people are friendlier when that happens to me too much.

I find them friendlier in Minnesota than I did in New Orleans. And of course friendlier in New Orleans than they were in New York.

I realize part of it has to do with the population. If you got in the habit of saying "Hi" to everyone you passed in New York, you'd be carted off in about two days. But when you do occasionally find yourself passing someone on an echoing empty street, it's weird when they don't say anything.

The other thing is, I've noticed that whether or not people say "Hi" does not tell you much about how friendly they actually are. New Yorkers might not say "Hi," but if they see you looking lost, they'll often stop and offer directions. And Minnesotans sure as heck aren't going to let you pass without a "Hi" (usually), but they won't necessarily invite you to dinner.

Another thing I do is stare at people if they refuse to look at me. I figure they deserve it.

I do that, too!  ;D

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »
Anything that starts with "Why don't you...."

It's a cultural thing. When I started out in my first job, I had an English-speaking boss who would review my work and then go "why don't you... check this, write that, etc" I thought he was asking me why I hadn't actually thought of doing whatever it was, and was therefore indicating my work was inadequate. I felt the direct question was very rude. Then as I got more proficient in English I realized it's just a way of suggesting a course of action. But my feeling about the "why don't you's" still sticks with me since then.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:24 pm »

It's a cultural thing. When I started out in my first job, I had an English-speaking boss who would review my work and then go "why don't you... check this, write that, etc" I thought he was asking me why I hadn't actually thought of doing whatever it was, and was therefore indicating my work was inadequate. I felt the direct question was very rude. Then as I got more proficient in English I realized it's just a way of suggesting a course of action. But my feeling about the "why don't you's" still sticks with me since then.

You probably didn't mean this to be hilarious, but I laughed out loud at this! I could imagine you thinking your boss actually required an answer ("Well, why don't you? Hunh? Hunh??"). The perils of language translation!

I remember years ago hearing an example of a perfectly logical phrase by someone whose English was her second language. In answer to, "Do you think it will rain today during the picnic?" she said, "I don't hope so!" For some reason, that sounds "wrong" (the usual phrase would be, "I hope not") even though there's really nothing wrong with it.

Back to "Why don't you do such and such" -- the one I really hate is "I need you to do such and such."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2008, 03:48:10 pm »
"Well, why don't you? Hunh? Hunh??"

That was exactly what I thought I *heard* him say!  :laugh:  The perils of language translation and cultural nuances, indeed.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

I agree, to me the phrase "Why don't you ...?" also sounds like "Why haven't you already ...?"

An expression I absolutely disike it "trash". Not the word itself. It's fine as long as it is used for  - trash of course; garbage, rubbish, waste.

But I hate the American way of naming (groups of) humans "trash": "trailer trash", "white trash"

It's absolutely humiliating. Of course the English language also has other derogatory words for people. As does German. But somehow naming human beings "trash" is completely unacceptable for me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »
It's absolutely humiliating. Of course the English language also has other derogatory words for people. As does German. But somehow naming human beings "trash" is completely unacceptable for me.

Me too. Especially "white trash," because that's not only demeaning, it's also racist. People who use the term don't always seem to realize this.