Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100589 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:13 pm »
I have a friend who revels in being "South Jersey Trailer Trash." He feels it frees him from having to observe certain bourgeois standards of life and behavior.

Exactly.  I'm not sure who said it but something similar was said when Britney Spears got busted driving with one of her sons sitting on her lap.  Or when she was smoking her cigs in front of her sons and the kid grabbed a lighter. 

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2008, 12:39:53 pm »
One term that annoys me is "vajayjay".

::)

For people who may not have heard this, from what I understand this is the origin of the word.

The creator of the TV show Grey's Anatomy was having issues with scripts that contained the word "vagina".  Rather than bump heads with censors, whenever needing to refer to a woman's anatomy, they created the word "vajayjay" to take the place of "vagina".

::)

Of course, people picked up on it, and now you can hear the word "vajayjay" in conversation.  What the hell is so wrong with the word "vagina" that this had to take place?

??? >:(

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
Funny, Chuck, I was just thinking about this last night for some reason. Either I have telepathy and knew you were going to bring it up, or I just like to sit around contemplating terms for genitalia.  :laugh:

Anyway, what I decided is that many people are uncomfortable saying either "vagina" or "penis" in casual conversation. Sounds too ... seriously anatomical or something. So they come up with cutesy names for those parts.

When my boys were really little, some of their daycare providers called it "bobo" and others called it "peepee." My older son put them together. So we took to calling it "peepeebobo." At least then when they screamed it out in the grocery store, other shoppers didn't always know what they were talking about.

Of course now that they are teenagers, they have graduated to "wiener" but, thankfully, no longer scream it out in the grocery store. And they never refer to the other thing at all.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »
I have a friend who revels in being "South Jersey Trailer Trash." He feels it frees him from having to observe certain bourgeois standards of life and behavior.

I was at a Harry Connick concert (front row, center, thanks to ticketwizard EDelMar) and he referred to himself as Louisiana trailer trash. It didn't ring quite right with me, but it helped when he started taking off clothes while tap dancing!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2008, 01:31:19 pm »
What's wrong with pussy and dick? Funny that a show called "Grey's Anatomy" would have problems with names of anatomical parts!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »
I was at a Harry Connick concert (front row, center, thanks to ticketwizard EDelMar) and he referred to himself as Louisiana trailer trash. It didn't ring quite right with me, but it helped when he started taking off clothes while tap dancing!

I should think not. The son of the former district attorney of New Orleans ain't trailer trash.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:54 pm »
What's wrong with pussy and dick?

Well, Webster's notes that both are usually considered vulgar.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2008, 01:49:41 pm »
I should think not. The son of the former district attorney of New Orleans ain't trailer trash.

I was just going to say the exact same thing! Except I wasn't going to say "ain't," because I am not grammar trash.

(Kidding, Jeff, I know you're not either -- I'd never apply that label to anyone bothered by incorrect use of "unique." BTW, how do you stand on "hopefully?" I have decided to go with it, because there's just no good concise alternative that doesn't sound silly. Hopefully, the grammar cops will give it the green light soon.)

"[noun] trash" has become a cute self-deprecating way to refer to oneself. But it works better if it's not quite so far-fetched.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Jeff: Webster's been dead a long time, and anything that's good enuff for Annie [GEFA] is good enuff for me! Besides, they're not as cutesy as "Veejay" and "poopie" or whatever. Same goes for "ain't" -- GEFA!

I'm with you on "hopefully" Katherine...though hopefully, people will not use it too often!!

This is not something I hate but it's starting to get on my nerves...people who say BTW when talking rather than by the way. Also those who say WTF or LOL or ROFLOL or BBF, etc. Those things are fine on the boards or texting, but not in a business meeting FCOL!!

How about expressions we love? Can we discuss those too? The other day my friend Rodney said his dog could destroy a ball in "two shakes of a lamb's tail." I love that expression!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2008, 02:07:57 pm »
Some business expressions that leave me cold:

"On a going forward basis"

"Circle back..."

"Swim lane"

You bet, friend Scott! And, to add to that list, I HATE "team player" and "strategic." One time I heard someone actually say "strategic strategies." I almost strangled him, in a strategic way, of course!